Conformational transitions and fibrillation mechanism of human calcitonin as studied by high-resolution solid-state 13C NMR
Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2000 The Protein Society
Volume 9, Issue 5, pages 867–877, 2000
How to Cite
Kamihira, M., Naito, A., Tuzi, S., Saitô, H. and Nosaka, A. Y. (2000), Conformational transitions and fibrillation mechanism of human calcitonin as studied by high-resolution solid-state 13C NMR. Protein Science, 9: 867–877. doi: 10.1110/ps.9.5.867
- Issue online: 31 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 31 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAR 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 24 FEB 2000
- Manuscript Received: 10 NOV 1999
- Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sports of Japan. Grant Numbers: 09558094, 09640612, 09261233, 0645466, 10179217
- 1993. The structure and mechanism of formation of human calcitonin fibrils. J Biol Chem 268: 6415–6422. , , .
- 1992. Pharmaceutical compositions comprising calcitonin. European Patent Application, Publication number 0490549A1. ,
- 1981. Calcitonin: Physiology and pathophysiology. N Engl J Med 304: 269–278. ,
- 1994. Interfacial adsorption and aggregation associated changes in secondary structure of human calcitonin monitored by ATR-FTIR spectroscopy. Biochemistry 33: 12276–12282. , , , , .
- 1994. Structural clues to prion replication. Science 264: 530–531. , , , , , .
- 1970. Endocrine regulation of calcium metabolism. Annu Rev Physiol 32: 61–86. .
- 1962. Evidence for calcitonin. A new hormone from the parathyroid that lowers blood calcium. Endocrinology 70: 638–649. , , , , .
- 1982. Spinning-sideband-free and spinning-sideband-only NMR spectra in spinning samples. J Chem Phys 77: 1800–1809. .
- 1990. Structure study of human calcitonin. In: River JE, Marshall GR, eds. Peptides: Chemistry, structure & biology. La Jolla, California, 11th Proc Am Pept Symp, July 9–14, 1989. pp 165–167. , , , ,
- 1959. Tissue sulfhydryl groups. Arch Biochem Biophys 82: 70–77. .
- 1983. Amphipathic helix and its relationship to the interaction of calcitonin with phospholipids. Biochemistry 22: 5074–5084. , , , , , .
- 1985. Kinetics of sickle hemoglobin polymerization. II. A double nucleation mechanism. J Mol Biol 183: 611–631. , , .
- 1980. Kinetic studies on photolysis-induced gelation of sickle cell hemoglobin suggest a new mechanism. Biophys J 32: 361–380. , , , .
- 1980. Examination of interspecies differences in renal and skeletal receptor binding and adenylate cyclase stimulation with human calcitonin. Endocrinology 106: 510–518.
- 1969. Computed circular dichroism spectra for the evaluation of protein conformation. Biochemistry 8: 4108–4116. , .
- 1989. Rotational-echo double-resonance NMR. J Magn Reson 81: 196–200. ,
- 1971. Explanation for unusual potency of salmon calcitonin. Nat New Biol 232: 91–92. , , , ,
- 1990. Solvent- and mechanical-treatment-induced conformational transition of silk fibroins studies by high-resolution solid-state 13C NMR spectroscopy. Macromolecules 23: 88–94. , , ,
- 1993. The carbonyl terminus of the β amyloid protein is critical for the seeding of amyloid formation: Implication for the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. Biochemistry 32: 4693–4697. , ,
- 1998. Comparative studies on human calcitonin fibrillation in aqueous and trifluoroethanol solution by proton NMR spectroscopy. Proc ICMRBS XVIII. Tokyo. p 61. , , , , .
- 1995. Study of human calcitonin fibrillation by proton nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Biochemistry 34: 12138–12143. , .
- 1996. Characterization of human calcitonin fibrillation in aqueous urea solution by 1H NMR spectroscopy. Biochemistry 35: 12671–12676. , .
- 1993. The cis/trans interconversion of the calcium regulating hormone calcitonin is catalyzed by cyclophilin. FEBS Lett 323: 198–202. , , , , ,
- 1970. Isolation and chemical properties of two calcitonins from salmon ultimobranchial glands. J Biol Chem 245: 1491–1496. , , , .
- 1963. Further evidence for calcitonin. A rapid-acting hormone which lowers plasma-calcium. Lancet 480–482. , ,
- 1996. On the nucleation and growth of amyloid β-protein fibrils: Detection of nuclei and quantitation of rate constants. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 1125–1129. , , , , .
- 1997. Kinetics theory of fibrillogenesis of amyloid β-protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 7942–7947. , , , .
- 1991. Two-dimensional NMR and structure determination of salmon calcitonin in methanol. Biochemistry 30: 1247–1254. , , , , .
- 1991. Solution structure of salmon calcitonin. Biopolymers 31: 233–241. , , ,
- 1991a. Solution conformation of salmon calcitonin in sodium dodecyl sulfate micelles as determined by two-dimensional NMR and distance geometry calculations. Biochemistry 30: 10444–10450. , , , .
- 1991b. A 1H NMR study of human calcitonin in solution. Biochemistry 30: 2364–2371. , , ,
- 1996. Determination of the three-dimensional structure of a new crystalline form of N-Acetyl-Pro-Gly-Phe as revealed by 13C REDOR, X-ray diffraction and molecular dynamics calculation. J Phys Chem 100: 14995–15004. , , , , , ,
- 1998. Determination of the three-dimensional structure of crystalline Leu-enkephaline dihydrate based on six sets of accurately determined interatomic distances from 13C REDOR NMR and the conformation dependent 13C chemical shifts. J Phys Chem 102: 7476–7483. , , , , ,
- 1987. Biologically potent analogues of salmon calcitonin which do not contain an N-terminal disulfide-bridged ring structure. Eur J Biochem 162: 399–402. , , .
- 1982. Introduction of 9-fluorenylmethyloxycarbonyl, trichloroethoxy-carbonyl, and benzyloxycarbonyl amine protecting groups into O-unprotected hydroxyamino acids using succinimidyl carbonates. Can J Chem 60: 976–980.
- 1976. Structure-activity relationship of human calcitonin. III. Biological activity of synthetic analogues with shortened or terminally modified peptide chains. Experientia 32: 246–248. , , , , ,
- 1986. Conformation-dependent 13C chemical shifts: A new means of conformational characterization as obtained by high-resolution solid-state NMR. Magn Res Chem 24: 835–852.
- 1989. High-resolution solid-state NMR studies of synthetic and biological macromolecules. Annu Rep NMR Spectrosc 21: 209–290. ,
- 1998. Empirical versus nonempirical evaluation of secondary structure of fibrous and membrane proteins by solid-state NMR: A practical approach. Annu Rep NMR Spectrosc 36: 79–121. , ,
- 1990. Nucleation and growth of fibres and gel formation in sickle cell haemoglobin. Nature 345: 833–835. , , .
- 1970. Human calcitonin. VI. Synthesis of calcitonin M. Helv Chim Acta 53: 2135–2150. , , , ,
- 1992. Amyloidosis. Annu Rev Biochem 61: 947–975. .
- 1999. Conformational changes of bacteriorhodopsin along the proton-conduction chain as studied with 13C NMR of [3-13C]Ala-labeled protein: Arg82 may function as an information mediator. Biophys J 77: 1577–1584. , , , , , , ,
- 1996. Misfolding the way to disease. Science 271: 1493–1495.
- 1974. Molecular mobility of polypeptides containing proline as determined by 13C magnetic resonance. Biopolymers 13: 97–114. ,
- 1999. Location of a cation-binding site in the loop between helices F and G of bacteriorhodopsin as studied by 13C NMR. Biophys J 76: 1523–1531. , , , , , , , ,
- 1995. 1H, 13C and 15N random coil NMR chemical shifts of the common amino acids. I. Investigations of nearest-neighbor effects. J Biomol NMR 5: 67–81. , , , , .
- 1994. Chemical shifts as a tool for structure determination. Methods Enzymol 239: 363–392. , .
- 1991. Relationship between nuclear magnetic resonance chemical shift and protein secondary structure. J Mol Biol 222: 311–333. , , .
- 1976. NMR in biological research: Peptides and proteins. Amsterdam, Holland: North-Holland Publishing Company. pp 65–72.
- 1992. NMR studies of amyloid beta-peptides: Proton assignments, secondary structure, and mechanism of an alpha-helix betasheet conversion for a homologous, 28-residue, N-terminal fragment. Biochemistry 31: 5621–5631. , .