The Western River Steamboat Heroine, 1832–1838, Oklahoma, USA: excavations, summary of finds, and history
Article first published online: 6 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. International Journal of Nautical Archaeology © 2013 The Nautical Archaeology Society
International Journal of Nautical Archaeology
Volume 42, Issue 2, pages 365–381, September 2013
How to Cite
Crisman, K., Lees, W. B. and Davis, J. (2013), The Western River Steamboat Heroine, 1832–1838, Oklahoma, USA: excavations, summary of finds, and history. International Journal of Nautical Archaeology, 42: 365–381. doi: 10.1111/1095-9270.12021
- Issue published online: 2 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 6 JUN 2013
- 2001, A History of Navigation on Cypress Bayou and the Lakes. Denton, TX. ,
- 2002, Exploding Steamboats, Senate Debates, and Technical Reports: The Convergence of Technology, Politics, and Rhetoric in the Steamboat Bill of 1838. Amityville, NY. ,
- 2005, News from the Red River: A Mid-Season Update on the Steamboat Heroine. The INA Quarterly 32.4, 3–6. and ,
- 1961, Society, Manners, and Politics in the United States. Ithaca, NY. ,
- 2011, The Cargo of the Steamboat Heroine and the Army of the Frontier, Indian Territory, 1838. CMAC News & Reports 3.1, 10–13. ,
- 1863, Autobiographical Sketches and Recollections during a Thirty-Five Years' Residence in New Orleans. Boston. ,
- 1836, The Louisville Directory for the Year 1836. Louisville, KY. ,
- 1838, The Louisville Directory for the Year 1838–9. Louisville, KY. ,
- 2005, The Heroine of the Red River. The INA Quarterly 32.2, 3–10. ,
- 2007, Easy as One-Two-Three: Completing the Steamboat Heroine Excavation, 2005–2006. The INA Quarterly 34.2, 3–12. ,
- 2011, Steaming Along: Research and Reconstruction of the Steamboat Heroine. CMAC News & Reports 3.1, 7–9. ,
- 2003, Beneath the Red River's Waters: The Oklahoma Steamboat Project, Part I. The INA Quarterly 30.2, 3–8. and ,
- 1991, Hogchains: Their Whys and Wherefores. The Egregious Steamboat Journal 15.2, 10–15. ,
- Daily Evening Herald, 1835. St Louis.
- 1834. The Cincinnati Directory Advertiser for 1834. Cincinnati. ,
- 1968, Advancing the Frontier, 1830–1860. Norman, OK. ,
- 1838, Report of the Committee Appointed by the Citizens of Cincinnati, April 26, 1838, to Enquire into the Causes of the Explosion of the Moselle. Cincinnati. , , , and ,
- 1885, Random Recollections: Early Days in Mississippi. Vicksburg, MS. ,
- 1854, Wild Sports in the Far West. New York. ,
- 1965, From Virginia to Texas, 1835: Diary of Col. Wm F. Gray. Houston, TX. ,
- 2005, Modeling an Early Western River Steamboat Engine. The INA Quarterly 32.4, 7–11. ,
- 1975, Western River Transportation: The Era of Early Internal Development, 1810–1860. Baltimore. , , and ,
- 1836, Statistics of the West, at the Close of the Year 1836. Cincinnati. ,
- 2005, Treasure in a Cornfield: The Discovery and Excavation of the Steamboat Arabia. Kansas City, MO. ,
- 1840, The Steam Engine, Its Origin and Gradual Improvement, from the Time of Hero to the Present Day. New York. ,
- 2007, What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815–1848. Oxford and New York. ,
- 1969, Steamboats on the Western Rivers: An Economic and Social History. Cambridge, MA. ,
- Jefferson Foundry Journal, 1837–1839. Mss. BB.J45, Filson Historical Society, Louisville, KY.
- 2011, Challenges to interpreting Life on Board the Steamboat Heroine. CMAC News & Reports 3.1, 14–15. ,
- 2004, The Western River Steamboat. College Station, TX. ,
- 2001, Archaeological Evaluation of a Wreck (34CH280) in the Red River, Choctaw County, Oklahoma. Report prepared by Panamerican Consultants, Inc. for the Oklahoma Historical Society. ,
- 2012, Anthony Wayne: The History and Archaeology of an Early Great Lakes Steamboat. Thesis in Anthropology, Texas A&M University. College Station, TX. ,
- 2000, Preliminary assessment of a wreck in the Red River, Choctaw County, Oklahoma, USA. IJNA 29.1, 120–125. , and ,
- 1836, The Paddle Steamer Ouishita on the Red River, Louisiana Territory. Watercolor painting 1968.271, Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, TX. ,
- 1846, Echoes from the Backwoods; Or, Sketches of Transatlantic Life, V. II. London. ,
- 1856, Lloyd's Steamboat Directory, and Disasters on the Western Waters. Cincinnati. ,
- 1838, Notes of a Journey Through Canada, the United States of America, and the West Indies. Edinburgh. ,
- Louisville Daily Journal, 1836–1837. Louisville, KY.
- 2005, Zooarchaeological analysis of the contents of the Heroine pork barrel. Contract report prepared at the Georgia Museum of Natural History. Athens, GA. ,
- 1837, The Western Address Directory. Baltimore. ,
- 1975, Merchant Steam Vessels of the United States, 1790–1868, ‘The Lytle-Holdcamper List’. Staten Island, NY. and ,
- 1838, Retrospect of Western Travel, V. II. London and New York. ,
- Maximillian of Wied, 2008, The North American Journals of Prince Maximillian of Weid, V. I, S. Witte and M. Gallagher (eds). Norman, OK.
- 1984, Conquering the Rivers: Henry Miller Shreve and the Navigation of America's Inland Waterways. Baton Rouge, LA. ,
- Missouri Republican, 1835. St Louis.
- 1963, My Historic Natchitoches, Louisiana and its Environment. Natchitoches, LA. .,
- Natchez Daily Journal, 1838. Natchez, MS.
- New Orleans Bee, 1832–1838.
- New Orleans Daily Picayune, 1838.
- 1838. Entry 10 (US Army Commissary General Correspondence), Box 46, Record Group 192, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, DC. , February–June,
- Nisewanger & Sullivant Contract, 1838. Entry 218 (Army Contracts), Record Group 217, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, DC.
- 1942, The Red River of the South. Louisiana Historical Quarterly 25, 397–527. ,
- 1832, The Louisville Directory for the Year 1832. Louisville, KY. ,
- 1974, The Steamboat Bertrand: History, Excavation, and Architecture. Washington, DC. ,
- 1836, Impressions of America During the Years 1833, 1834, and 1835. Philadelphia. ,
- 1877, The Diller Family. Philadelphia. ,
- 1999, Indiana: The History and Archaeology of an Early Great Lakes Propeller. M.A. Thesis in Anthropology, Texas A&M University. College Station, TX. ,
- Rodney Standard, 1838. Rodney, MS.
- 2012, The Passenger Steamboat Phoenix: An Archaeological Study of Early Steam Propulsion in North America. Dissertation in Anthropology, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX. ,
- 1997, Gateway to Texas: History of Red River County. Austin, TX. ,
- US Treasury Department, 1838, Steam Engines: Letter from the Secretary of the Treasury, Document 21, December 13, 1838. Washington, DC.
- 1838, letter to G. Gibson. Entry 225, Box 1145, Record Group 92, US Archives, Washington, DC. , 14 May
- 2009, A Portrait of the 1826 Steamboat Tecumseh. Ohio Valley History 10.3, 59–66. ,
- 1871, Red River Reminiscences. Cincinnati Commercial. , 9 January
- 1836. The Cincinnati Directory for the Years 1836–7. Cincinnati. ,