The UK National Ecosystem Assessment
REVIEW: Nutrient stripping: the global disparity between food security and soil nutrient stocks
Version of Record online: 8 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Applied Ecology © 2013 British Ecological Society
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 50, Issue 4, pages 851–862, August 2013
How to Cite
Jones, D. L., Cross, P., Withers, P. J. A., DeLuca, T. H., Robinson, D. A., Quilliam, R. S., Harris, I. M., Chadwick, D. R., Edwards-Jones, G. (2013), REVIEW: Nutrient stripping: the global disparity between food security and soil nutrient stocks. Journal of Applied Ecology, 50: 851–862. doi: 10.1111/1365-2664.12089
- Issue online: 15 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 8 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 31 JUL 2012
- ADAS. (2001) The Safe Sludge Matrix. Guidelines for the Application of Sewage Sludge to Agricultural Land. British Retail Consortium, Water UK & ADAS. ADAS, Wolverhampton, UK.
- 1999) Diffuse agricultural nitrate pollution of groundwaters in India. Water Science and Technology, 39, 67–75. , & (
- 2011) Closing the phosphorus loop in England: the spatio-temporal balance of phosphorus capture from manure versus crop demand for fertiliser. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 55, 1146–1153. , , , & (
- 2011) Role of potassium nutrition in nitrogen use efficiency in cereals. Electronic International Fertiliser Correspondent, 29, 20–27. , , & (
- 2011) Selenium uptake and its antioxidant role in ryegrass cultivars as affected by selenite seed palletisation. Journal of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 11, 1–14. , , & (
- 2007) Demand for foodgrains. Economic and Political Weekly, 42, 10–13. (
- 1989) Agricultural utilization of sewage sludge: a review. Journal of the Chartered Institute of Water and Environmental Management, 3, 351–355. (
- Defra. (2010a) Fertiliser Manual (RB209), 8th edn. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London.
- Defra. (2010b) Soil Nutrient Balances: 2010 Update. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Agricultural Change and Environment Observatory Research, London.
- Defra. (2012) The British Survey of Fertiliser Practice: Fertiliser Use on Farm Crops for Crop Year 2011. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, London.
- 2001) Soil nutrient depletion and population growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: a Malthusian Nexus? Population and Environment, 22, 411–423. , & (
- 2012) Advances in the understanding of nutrient dynamics and management in UK agriculture. Science of The Total Environment, 434, 39–50. , , , , , , , , , & (
- EA. (2007) UK Soil and Herbage Pollutant Survey. UKSHS Report No. 1. Environment Agency, Bristol, UK.
- 1998) Soil phosphorus management and water quality: a UK perspective. Soil Use and Management, 14, 124–130. & (
- 2000) Ecological Economics an Introduction. Blackwell Science Ltd, London, UK. , & (
- 1997) Modelling the ecosystem effects of nitrogen deposition: simulation of nitrogen saturation in a Sitka spruce forest, Aber, Wales, UK. Biogeochemistry, 38, 129–148. , , , , & (
- FAI. (2006) Fertiliser Statistics for 2005–2006. Fertiliser Association of India, New Delhi, India.
- FAO. (2009) Foot Insecurity in the World. Economic Crises – Impacts and Lessons Learned. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
- 2004) Micronutrients for Grass/Animal Systems. pp. 23. International Fertiliser Society, York. (
- 1985) Breakeven hauling distances for beef feedlot manure in southern Alberta. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 65, 687–693. & (
- 2004) Nitrogen cycles: past, present, and future. Biogeochemistry, 70, 153–226. , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2007) Mycorrhizal responsiveness of aerobic rice genotypes is negatively correlated with their zinc uptake when nonmycorrhizal. Plant and Soil, 290, 283–291. , , , & (
- 2006) The sectoral trends of multigas emissions inventory of India. Atmospheric Environment, 40, 4608–4620. , & (
- 2001) Estimating global land use change over the past 300 years: the HYDE Database. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 15, 417–433. (
- 2012) Soil carbon sequestration and associated economic costs for farming systems of the Indo-Gangetic Plain: a meta-analysis. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 146, 137–146. , , , , & (
- 1993) Factors affecting zinc uptake in cropping systems. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 57, 1310–1315. , & (
- 2005) Trace elements in agroecosystems and impacts on the environment. Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology, 19, 125–140. , & (
- 2003) Nutrient losses over four million years of tropical forest development. Ecology, 84, 2231–2255. , & (
- HGCA. (2011) Gaps in RB209 – Current Status of Soils and Responsiveness of Wheat to Micronutrients. HGCA Research and Development, 2010 Annual Project Report RD-2008-3508. Home Grown Cereals Authority, Stoneleigh.
- 2002) Carbon and nitrogen mineralisation rates of fens in Germany used for agriculture. A review. Wetlands in Central Europe – Soil Organisms, Soil Ecological Processes and Trace Gas Emissions (eds W.M.G. Broll & E.-M. Pfeiffer), pp. 149–164. Springer, Berlin. (
- 1980) The record of peat wastage in the East Anglian fenlands at Holme Post, 1848–1978 A.D. Journal of Ecology, 68, 229–249. (
- 2011) India's demographic change: opportunities and challenges. Science, 333, 576–580. (
- 2013) Phosphorus mitigation to control river eutrophication: murky waters, inconvenient truths and ‘post-normal’ science. Journal of Environmental Quality, doi:10.2134/jeq2012.0085. , , , , & (
- 2004) Plant and mycorrhizal regulation of rhizodeposition. New Phytologist, 163, 459–480. , & (
- 2012) The state of soil in Europe. Joint Research Centre, Institute for Environmental Sustainability. ISPRA, Italy. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2011) Breeding crop plants with deep roots: their role in sustainable carbon, nutrient and water sequestration. Annals of Botany, 108, 407–418. (
- 2004) How do crop plants tolerate acid soils? Mechanisms of aluminum tolerance and phosphorous efficiency. Annual Review of Plant Biology, 55, 459–493. , & (
- 2011) North East India: soil and water management imperatives for food security in a changing climate. Current Science, 101, 1119. (
- 2004) Soil carbon sequestration impacts on global climate change and food security. Science, 304, 1623–1627. (
- 2011) How the world survived the population bomb: lessons from 50 years of extraordinary demographic history. Demography, 48, 1231–1262. (
- 2008) Plant nutrient-acquisition strategies change with soil age. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 23, 95–103. , , & (
- MAFF. (1971) Agricultural Statistics 1969/1970 England and Wales. HMSO, London.
- MAFF. (1981) Trace Element Deficiencies of Field Crops. Booklet 2197. HMSO, London.
- 1989) A Hundred Years of British Food & Farming: A statistical Survey. Taylor and Francis, London. & (
- 2010) How cost-effective is biofortification in combating micronutrient malnutrition? An ex-ante assessment. World Development, 38, 64–75. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2012) A software tool for estimating the capacity of agricultural land in England and Wales for recycling organic materials (ALOWANCE). Soil Use and Management, 28, 307–317. , , , , & (
- 2008) Household Food Security in the United States, 2008. pp. 58. USDA, Washington, DC. , & (
- 2009) Approaches and challenges to engineering seed phytate and total phosphorus. Plant Science, 177, 281–296. (
- 1982) Advances in soil fertility and fertiliser use research in India. Fertiliser News, 27, 11–26. & (
- 2000) The importance of selenium to human health. The Lancet, 356, 233–241. (
- 2009) On the definition of the natural capital of soils: a framework for description, evaluation, and monitoring. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 73, 1904–1911. , & (
- 2009) Food security – Indian scenario. Proceedings. IPI-OUAT-IPNI International Symposium. pp. 15–43. International Potash Institute, Horgen, Switzerland and International Plant Nutrition Institute, Norcross, GA, USA. & (
- 2006) Soil fertility and hunger in Africa. Science, 295, 2019–2020. (
- 2012) The influence of agricultural trade and livestock production on the global phosphorus cycle. Ecosystems, 15, 256–268. & (
- 2002) A conceptual model for conducting nutrient audits at national, regional, and global scales. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 62, 61–72. , & (
- 2010) Sustainability of Rice-Wheat System: A Means of Food Security in India. pp. 499–542. Studium Press (India) Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India. , , & (
- 2008) Micronutrient deficiency problems in agricultural crops in Europe. Micronutrient Deficiencies in Global Crop Production (ed. B.J. Alloway), pp 225–245. Springer, New York. & (
- 2008) Micronutrient deficiencies in crops and soils in India. Micronutrient Deficiencies in Global Crop Production (ed. W.H. Alloway), pp. 93–125. Springer-Science. (
- 2009) Macronutrient nutritional problems in soils of India and improvement for human and animal health. Indian Journal of Fertilizer, 5, 11–26. (
- 2012) India's biophysical economy, 1961–008. Sustainability in a national and global context. Ecological Economics, 76, 60–69. , , , , , , & (
- 2001) Nitrogen and food production: proteins for human diets. Ambio, 31, 126–131. (
- 2009) Phosphorus in Agriculture: Global Resources, Trends, and Developments. pp. 36. Plant Research International, Wageningen, the Netherlands. , , , & (
- 2007) Plant breeding to control zinc deficiency in India: how cost-effective is biofortification? Public Health Nutrition, 10, 492–501. , , , , & (
- 1991) Organic matter-micronutrient reactions in soils. Micronutrients in Agriculture (eds J.J. Mortvedt, F.R. Coz, L.M. Shuman & R.M. Welch), pp 145–186. Soil Science Society of America, Madison, WI. (
- 1990) Assessment of Soil Nutrient Depletion in Sub-Saharan Africa, 1983–2000. The Winand Staring Centre for Integrated Land, Soil and Water Research (SC-DLO), Wageningen, the Netherlands. & (
- 2011) Research on social inequalities in health in India. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 133, 461–463. & (
- 2011) Fertiliser use in Indian agriculture – an eventful half century. Better Crops India, 1, 3–5. & (
- The World Bank. (2006) Repositioning Nutrition as Central to Development. A Strategy for Large-Scale Action. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, The World Bank, Washington, DC.
- 2008) Global Agricultural Supply and Demand: Factors Contributing to the Recent Increase in Food Commodity Prices. pp. 30. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC. (
- United Nations. (2008) World Urbanization Prospects, the 2007 Revision: Highlights. pp. 230. United Nations, New York.
- 1993) Nationwide selenium supplementation in Finland – effects on diet, blood and tissue levels and health. Selenium in Biology and Human Health (ed. R.F. Burk), pp 199–218. Springer-Verlag, New York. (
- 1991) Geographic distribution of trace element problems. Micronutrients in Agriculture (ed. J.J. Mortvedt), pp 31–57. Madison, Wisconsin, WI. , & (
- 2009) Biofortification of crops with seven mineral elements often lacking in human diets—iron, zinc, copper, calcium, magnesium, selenium and iodine. New Phytologist, 182, 49–84. & (
- 2009) The source of phosphorus in the waters of Great Britain. Journal of Environmental Quality, 38, 13–26. & (
- WHO. (2002) The World Health Report 2002. Reducing Risks, Promoting Healthy Life. pp. 1–230. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO. (2007) Preventing and Controlling Micronutrient Deficiencies in Populations Affected by an Emergency. Joint statement by the World Health Organization, the World Food Programme, and the United Nations Children's Fund. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- 2009) Novel approaches in plant breeding for rhizosphere-related traits. Plant and Soil, 321, 409–430. , & (
- 2011) Recent developments in modifying crops and agronomic practice to improve human health. Food Policy, 36, S94–S101. & (