Review article: Disease, literature and the body in the era of AIDS – a preliminary exploration
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Sociology of Health & Illness
Volume 12, Issue 3, pages 351–360, September 1990
How to Cite
Frankenberg, R. (1990), Review article: Disease, literature and the body in the era of AIDS – a preliminary exploration. Sociology of Health & Illness, 12: 351–360. doi: 10.1111/1467-9566.ep11347267
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- 1978) The Private Worlds of Dying Children Princeton , New Jersey : Princeton University Press. (
- Boffin, Tessa and SunilGupta (eds) (1990) Ecstatic Antibodies: Resisting the AIDS Mythology London : Rivers Oram Press.
- Bologh, Roslyn Wallach (1981) Grounding the alienation of self and body: a critical, phenomenological analysis of the patient in western medicine. Sociology of Health and Illness, 3 (2) 188–205.
- Boot, Chris and AnnaHarding (eds) (1990) Bodies of Experience: Stories about living with HIV London : Camerawork/the photo co-op.
- 1987) Stories of Sickness Yale : Yale University Press. (
- 1982) Medicine Symbol and Ideology in P.Wright and A.Treacher (eds) The Problem of Medical Knowledge Edinburgh : Edinburgh University Press. (
- Crimp, Douglas (ed) (1987) AIDS: Cultural Analysis/Cultural Activism Cambridge , Mass , and London : MIT Press.
- 1988) Mortal Embrace: Living with Aids New York : Hill and Wang. (
- Enright, D.J. (ed) (1989) The Faber Book of Frets and Fevers London : Faber and Faber.
- 1985) Difference and Pathology: Stereotypes of Sexuality, Race, and Madness Ithaca and London : Cornell University Press. (
- 1988) Disease and Representation: Images of Illness from Madness to AIDS Ithaca and London : Cornell University Press. (
- 1989) The Biopolitics of Postmodern Bodies: Determinations of Self in Immune System Discourse Differences, 1, 3–44. (
- 1988) The Illness Narratives New York : Basic Books. (
- 1985) When the Cosmos Chooses to Win TLS December 13th 1415–16. (
- 1990) in Boffin, Tessa and SunilGupta (eds) Ecstatic Antibodies: Resisting the AIDS Mythology London : Rivers Oram Press. (
- 1990) A case of AIDS in Boffin, Tessa and SunilGupta (eds) Ecstatic Antibodies: Resisting the AIDS Mythology London : Rivers Oram Press. (
- 1985) Disease and the Novel1880–1960 London : Macmillan. (
- 1989) Facing up to AIDS Dublin : O'Brien Press. (with John Masterson) (
- 1990) The Silent Korper-the Loud Leib. Draft paper for AES Spring Meeting Atlanta Georgia USA. (
- 1984) C, London : Seeker and Warburg. (
- Ruskin, Cindy (ed) (1988) The Quilt: stories from the NAMES Project London : Pocket Books.
- 1987) The Mindful Body: a Prolegomenon to Future Work in Medical Anthropology. Medical Anthropology Quarterly. 6–41. and (
- 1989) Coming on Strong: Gay Politics and Culture London : Unwin Hyman. and (
- Shewey, Don (ed. and intro.) (1988) Out Front: Contemporary Gay and Lesbian Plays New York : Grove Press.
- 1978) Illness as Metaphor London : Penguin Books. (
- 1989) AIDS and its Metaphors London : Allen Lane, The Penguin Press. (
- 1975) Going to see the Doctor: The Consultation Process in General Practice London : Routledge and Kegan Paul. and (
- Tabor, R.B. and J.Stephenson (eds) (1989) Reflections 3rd Edition Southampton : Wessex Regional Library and Information service.
- Watney, Simon and SunilGupta in Boffin, Tessa and SunilGupta (eds) (1990) Ecstatic Antibodies: Resisting the AIDS Mythology London : Rivers Oram Press.
- 1984) the genesis of chronic illness; narrative reconstruction. Sociology of Health and Illness 6, 175–200. (