Transforming general practice: the redistribution of medical work in primary care
Version of Record online: 20 FEB 2003
Sociology of Health & Illness
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 71–92, January 2003
How to Cite
Charles-Jones, H., Latimer, J. and May, C. (2003), Transforming general practice: the redistribution of medical work in primary care. Sociology of Health & Illness, 25: 71–92. doi: 10.1111/1467-9566.t01-1-00325
- Issue online: 20 FEB 2003
- Version of Record online: 20 FEB 2003
- 1979) The emancipation of biographical medicine, Social Science and Medicine, 13A, 1, 1–8. (
- 1983) The Political Anatomy of the Body. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (
- 1957) The Doctor, his Patient and the Illness. London: Pitman. (
- 1992) The construction of medical disposals. Medical sociology and medical problem solving in clinical practice, Sociology of Health and Illness, 14, 2, 151–80. (
- 1989) Quality of care in general practice-lessons from the past, Journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners, 39, 88–90. (
- 1998) The practice. In Loudon, I., and (eds) General Practice under the National Health Service, London: Clarendon Press. and (
- 2002) Qualitative research and the problem of judgement: lessons from interviewing fellow professionals, Family Practice, 19, 285–9. , and (
- 1995) Gender and the Professional Predicament of Nursing Assessment: an Analysis. Buckingham: Open University Press. (
- Department of Health (1996a) Choice and Opportunity. Primary Care: the Future. London: HMSO.
- Department of Health (1996b) Primary Care: Delivering the Future. London: HMSO.
- Department of Health (2000) The NHS Plan: a Plan for Investment, a Plan for Reform. London: HMSO.
- Department of Health and Welsh Office (1989) General Practice in the National Health Service: a New Contract. London: HMSO.
- 1983) Categorization in accident departments: ‘good’ patients, ‘bad’ patients and children, Sociology of Health and Illness, 5, 12, 127–48. and (
- 1994) Expert medical decisions in occupational medicine: a sociological analysis of medical judgement, Sociology of Health and Illness, 16, 4, 489–514. (
- 1997) Rethinking the doctor-patient relationship in general practice, Health and Social Care in the Community, 5, 1, 11–14. (
- 1996) The biopsychosocial model of general practice: rhetoric or reality, British Journal of General Practice, 46, 105–7. , , and (
- EBM Working Group (1992) Evidenced-based medicine, Journal of the American Medical Association, 268, 2420–25.
- 1999) GPs and contracts: bringing general practice into primary care, Social Policy and Administration, 33, 2, 115–31. (
- 1979) Normal rubbish: deviant patients in casualty departments, Sociology of Health and Illness, 1, 1, 90–107. (
- 2001) Getting the best out of general practice – an open letter to the Minister of Health, British Journal of General Practice, 51, 523–24. (
- 1972) Professions and Power. London and Basingstoke: Macmillan Press. (
- 1997) Giving patients a future: the constituting of classes in an acute medical unit, Sociology of Health and Illness, 19, 2, 161–85. (
- 2000) The Conduct of Care: Understanding Nursing Practice. Oxford: Blackwell Science. (
- 1992) Individual care – power and subjectivity in therapeutic relationships, Sociology, 26, 4, 589–602. (
- 1996) The confidential patient: the social construction of therapeutic relationships in general medical practice, Sociological Review, 44, 2, 187–203. , and (
- 1999) Patient-centredness: a history. In Dowrick, C. and Frith, L. (eds) General Practice and Ethics: Uncertainty and Responsibility. London: Routledge. and (
- 1987) Learning and Working: the Occupational Socialization of Nursing. London: Tavistock. (
- 1987) The Inner Consultation. Lancaster: MTP Press. (
- 1995) Fewer Doctors? More Nurses? A Review of the Knowledge Base of Doctor-nurse Substitution. York: University of York, Centre for Health Economics (Discussion paper 135). and (
- 1999) Demanding patients? Analysing the Use of Primary Care. Buckingham: Open University Press. , and (
- Secretary of State (1997) The New NHS – Modern, Dependable. London: HMSO.
- 1987) Communications and Medical Practice: Social Relations in the Clinic. London: Sage. (
- 1993) Interpreting Qualitative Data: Methods for Analysing Talk, Text and Interaction. London: Sage. (