The authors are grateful for the feedback provided by the three anonymous IJURR reviewers as well as the editors of the symposium. We also wish to thank Vladimir Jankovic, our research collaborator; those who contributed to the original discussion at the RGS in 2010; our interviewees; and participants in the 2011 City Weathers Symposium. The research was made possible by the Economic and Social Research Council under grant RES 062-23-2134, Climate Science in Urban Design: a Historical and Comparative Study of Applied Urban Climatology.
Urban Climatology Applied to Urban Planning: A Postwar Knowledge Circulation Failure
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2013
© 2013 Urban Research Publications Limited
International Journal of Urban and Regional Research
Volume 37, Issue 5, pages 1542–1558, September 2013
How to Cite
Hebbert, M. and Mackillop, F. (2013), Urban Climatology Applied to Urban Planning: A Postwar Knowledge Circulation Failure. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 37: 1542–1558. doi: 10.1111/1468-2427.12046
- Issue online: 19 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2013
- AMS (1972) Conference on Urban Environment and Second Conference on Biometeorology, 31 October to 2 November, American Meteorological Society, Philadelphia, PA.
- 2010) Shaping neighbourhoods — for local health and global sustainability. Second edition, Routledge, London, New York, NY. , and (
- 1995) Urban climate and urban planning — the example of Stuttgart. In K. Höschele, M. Moriyama and H. Zimmermann (eds.), Klimaanalyse für die Stadtplanung [Climate analysis for urban planning], Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH, Karlsruhe. and (
- 1972) The urban environment: a climatological anomaly. CPL Exchange Bibliography 292, Council of Planning Librarians, Monticello, Illinois, IL. (
- 2009) One hundred years of city planning's enduring and evolving connections. Journal of the American Planning Association 75.2, 113–122. and (
- Bitan, A. (ed.) (1984) Applied climatology and its contribution to planning and building. Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on the Impact of Climate on Planning and Building, Tel Aviv, 5 to 11 November 1983, Elsevier Sequoia, Lausanne.
- 1990–91) Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Urban Climate, Planning and Building, Kyoto, Japan, 6 to 11 November 1989. Two special issues of Energy and Building 15.3 and 15.4. (
- 1998) Representation of places: reality and realism in city design. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. (
- 2005) Urban climatology. In J. Oliver (ed.), Encyclopedia of World Climatology, Springer, Dordrecht. and (
- 2003) Cities and climate change. Routledge, London. and (
- 2011) Urbanism in the age of climate change. Island Press, Washington, DC. (
- 1965) The climate of London. Hutchinson, London. (
- 1970a) Urban climates. Proceedings of the Symposium on Urban Climates and Building Climatology, WMO and WHO, Technical Note 108, WMO No. 254, Geneva. (
- 1970b) Selected bibliography on urban climate. WMO Technical Paper No. 155, World Meteorological Organization, Geneva. (
- CIB (1976) Planning and construction in conformity with climate. Proceedings of the International Symposium of CIB, WMO, IFHP, ISB, Vienna, 20 to 21 October 1976.
- 1976) Urban climatology and its relevance to urban design.WMO Technical Paper No. 149. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva. (
- 2004) For nation and prosperity, health and a green environment: protecting nature in West Germany. In C. Mauch (ed.), Nature in German history, Berghahn Books, New York, NY. (
- 1986) Camillo Sitte: the birth of modern city planning. Rizzoli, New York, NY. and (
- 2000) Biometeorology and urban climatology at the turn of the millennium [WMO/TD 1026], World Meteorological Organization, Geneva. , , and (
- 1951) Die neue Stadt in Landschaft und Klima: Climate and town districts — consequences and demands. Verlag für Architektur AG, Erlenbach-Zürich. (
- 2005) An urban approach to climate sensitive design: strategies for the tropics. E & FN Spon, London. (
- 2011) Urban microclimate: designing the spaces between buildings. Earthscan, London. , and (
- Frommes, B. (ed.) (1980) Fundamental knowledge in urban and building climatology. International Federation of Housing and Planning (IFHP), The Hague.
- 1982) Urban and building climatology in practice and in professional education. Energy and Buildings 5.1, 31–37. (
- 1969) Man, climate and architecture. Elsevier, Amsterdam. (
- 1998) Climate considerations in building and urban design. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, NY. (
- 1975) The outside in retrospect. Journal of the American Institute of Planners 41.3, 200–212. (
- 1989) The condition of postmodernity. Blackwell, Oxford. (
- 2013) Circuits of knowledge and techniques: the transnational flow of planning ideas and practices. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 37.5, 1510–1526. (
- 2012) Urban liveability: the climatic dimension. In C. Gossop and S. Nan (eds.), Liveable cities, urbanising world, ISOCARP Review 07, Taylor and Francis, Abingdon. and (
- Hebbert M., V. Jankovic and B. Webb (eds.) (2011) City weathers: meteorology and urban design 1950–2020, Manchester Architecture Research Centre [WWW document]. URL www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/architecture/research/csud/outputsresources (accessed 15 March 2013).
- 2013) Cities and climate change: the precedents and why they matter. Urban Studies 50.7, 1332–1347. and (
- 1921) Deutscher Städtebau [German town planning]. Carl Winter, Heidelberg. (
- 1944) The new city: principles of planning. Paul Theobald, Chicago, IL. (
- 1904) Improvement of the dwellings and surroundings of the people: the example of Germany. Manchester University Press, Manchester. (
- Höschele, K. (ed.) (1992) Planning applications of urban and building climatology. Proceedings of the IFHP/CIB symposium, Berlin, October 1991, Institut für Meteorologie und Klimaforschung der Universität Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe.
- 1833) The climate of London, deduced from meteorological observations. Three volumes, Harvey & Darton, London. (
- 1976) Review of the WMO activities in the field of application of meteorology to human settlements and relevant aspects of land-use planning. In CIB, Planning and construction in conformity with the climate, Monographie 24, Forschungsgesellschaft für Wohnen, Bauen und Planen, Vienna. (
- 1984) World Meteorological Organization activities in urban and building climatology. In A. Bitan (ed.), Applied climatology and its contribution to planning and building, Elsevier Sequoia, Lausanne. (
- 1910) Die meteorologischen Grundlagen des Städtebaues [The meteorological fundamentals of town planning]. Städtebauliche Vorträge 3.6, 5–26. (
- Kłysik, K., T. Oke, K. Fortuniak, C.S.B. Grimmond and J. Wibig (eds.) (2003) Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Urban Climate (joint-organized by World Meteorological Organization and International Association on Urban Climate). Faculty of Geographical Sciences, University of Łódz, Łódz.
- 1937) Das Stadtklima [City climate]. Friedr. Vieweg & Sohn, Braunschweig. (
- 1956) Das Stadtklima [City climate]. Revised edition, Friedr. Vieweg & Sohn, Braunschweig. (
- 1962) The climate of cities. Translated by the American Meteorological Society Translation Service, US Air Force Cambridge Research Laboratories, Bedford, MA. (
- 1972) Matrices for land-use, town and building planning as related to climatic parameters. CIB Report No. 15, Confédération Internationale du Bâtiment, Amsterdam. (
- 1947) Microclimatology. Architectural Forum 86.3, 114–119. (
- 1973) The meteorologically utopian city. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 54.2, 86–89. (
- 1976) Weather, climate and human settlement. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva. (
- 1981) The urban climate. Academic Press, New York, NY. (
- 1960) Climatology and architecture. Architectural Review 128 (December), 452–453. (
- 1928 ) Building. In U. Conrads (ed.), Programs and manifestoes on 20th-century architecture, Lund Humphries, London. (
- 1986) Obituary Prof. Helmut Landsberg. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 36.3/4, 381–382. (
- 2012) Towards planning and practical understanding of the need for meteorological and climatic information in the design of high-density cities: a case-based study of Hong Kong. International Journal of Climatology 32.4, 582–598. (
- 1978) Boundary layer climates. Methuen, London. (
- 1984) Towards a prescription for the greater use of climatic principles in settlement planning. In A. Bitan (ed.), Applied climatology and its contribution to planning and building, Elsevier Sequoia, Lausanne. (
- 1986) Urban climatology and its applications with special regard to tropical areas. WMO No. 652, World Meteorological Organization, Geneva. (
- 1986) Climate in the UK — a handbook of solar radiation, temperature and other data for 13 principal cities and towns. HMSO, London. and (
- 1988) In the shadow of Mies: Ludwig Hilberseimer, architect, educator and urban planner. Rizzoli, New York, NY. , and (
- 1972) Report, Sixième Congrès Meteorologique Mondial. International Journal of Biometeorology 16.1, 97–99. (
- 2011) Urban climatic map studies, a review. International Journal of Climatology 31.15, 2213–2233. , and (
- 1984) Climate and regional land-use planning. In A. Bitan (ed.), Applied climatology and its contribution to planning and building, Elsevier Sequoia, Lausanne. (
- 1914) Meteorologische Grundsätze im Haus- und Städtebau [Meteorological fundamentals of housing and town planning]. Bayerisches Industrie- und Gewerbeblatt 46.19, 181–183. (
- 1984) The granite garden. Basic Books, New York, NY. (
- 1981) Towards the planned city: Germany, Britain, the United States and France 1780–1914. Basil Blackwell, Oxford. (
- UCCRN [Urban Climate Change Research Network] (2011) Climate change and cities (first assessment report of the Urban Climate Change Research Network. Edited by C. Rosenzweig, W.D. Solecki, S.A. Hammer and S. Mehrotra, 23.286, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- UN (2011) Cities and climate change: UN-Habitat global report on human settlements 2011. 18.279, Earthscan, London.
- WMO (1973) Minutes of CoSAMC 6th session, Bad Homburg, 8–19 October (WMO No. 369).
- WMO (1978) Minutes of CoSAMC 7th session, Geneva, 17–28 April (WMO No. 515).
- WMO (1983) Report of the meeting with representatives of international organizations on WMO activities regarding urban and building climatology, 14–15 June, World Meteorological Organization, Geneva.
- WMO (1984) Urban climatology and its applications with special regard to tropical areas. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva.
- WMO (1985) Minutes of CCI 9th session, Geneva, 2–13 December (WMO No. 660).
- 1915) Das sanitäre grün der Städte: ein Beitrag zur Freiflächentheorie [The sanitary green of cities: a contribution to a theory on open spaces]. Carl Hermann, Berlin. (
- 2002) Planning the twentieth-century city. Wiley, Chichester. (