Towards a sustainable dairy sector: Leadership in sustainable nutrition
Article first published online: 20 MAY 2013
© 2013 Dairy Research Institute. International Journal of Dairy Technology published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
International Journal of Dairy Technology
Volume 66, Issue 3, pages 307–316, August 2013
How to Cite
Miller, G. D. and Auestad, N. (2013), Towards a sustainable dairy sector: Leadership in sustainable nutrition. International Journal of Dairy Technology, 66: 307–316. doi: 10.1111/1471-0307.12067
- Issue published online: 16 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 20 MAY 2013
- 2012) World agriculture towards 2030/2050: the 2012 revision, p. 1. ESA Working paper No. 12-03. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. and (
- 2012) Impact of a reduced red and processed meat dietary pattern on disease risks and greenhouse gas emissions in the UK: a modelling study. British Medical Journal Open 2 e001072. , and (
- 2007) Evaluating the environmental impact of various dietary patterns combined with different food production systems. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 61 279–286. , , and (
- 2012) The relative greenhouse gas impacts of realistic dietary choices. Energy Policy 43 184–190. , , and (
- 2010) Dairy consumption and patterns of mortality of Australian adults. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 64 569–577. , , , and (
- 2010) Projection of the year 2050 burden of diabetes in the US adult population: dynamic modeling of incidence, mortality, and prediabetes prevalence. Population Health Metrics 8 29. , , , and (
- 2012) Sustainable diets and biodiversity: directions and solutions for policy, research and action In: Proceedings of the International Scientific Symposium, Biodiversity and Sustainable Diets United Against Hunger, 3–5 November 2010, FAO Headquarters, Rome, Italy. and (
- 2009) The environmental impact of dairy production: 1944 compared with 2007. Journal of Animal Science 87 2160–2167. , and (
- 2009) Potential contributions of food consumption patterns to climate change. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 89 1704S–1709S. and (
- 2012) Trends in greenhouse gas emissions from consumption and production of animal food products - implications for long-term climate targets. Animal 7 1–11. , , and (
- Committee on Twenty-First Century Systems Agriculture and National Research Council (2010) Toward Sustainable Agricultural Systems in the 21st Century, pp. 1–598. Washington DC: Committee on Twenty-First Century Systems Agriculture and National Research Council.
- Council for Agricultural Science and Technology (Cast) (1999) Animal agriculture and global food supply. Task Force Report no. 135. Ames, IA.
- Dairy Research Institute® (2009) Data Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data (NHANES 2003-2004; 2005-2006)
- 2012) Dairy intake and coronary heart disease or stroke-a population-based cohort study. International Journal of Cardiology doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2012.03.094. , , , , , , and (
- Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (2010) Report of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010, to the Secretary of Agriculture and the Secretary of Health and Human Services Washington, DC.
- 2012) Attributable risk analysis reveals potential healthcare savings from increased consumption of dairy products. Journal of Nutrition 142 1772–1780. , and (
- 2010) The cost of US foods as related to their nutritive value. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 92 1181–1188. (
- 2010) Trend of milk consumption among Chinese children and adolescents aged 7 to 17 years old in 9 provinces from 1991 to 2006. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 31 1349–1352. , , , and (
- 2010) Data on overweight and nutrition in the 2007 Swiss Health Survey. Praxis 99 17–25. , , , and (
- European Nutrition and Health Report (2009) Forum Nutrition, pp. 60–67. Basel, Switzerland: Karger, AG.
- FAO (2009) FAO's Director-General on How to Feed the World in 2050. Population and Development Review 35 837–839.
- FAO (2012) Livestock primary. Production. FAOSTAT. URL http://faostat.fao.org/site/569/default.aspx#ancor. Accessed 18/08/2011.
- 2011) Impact of changes in diet on the availability of land, energy demand, and greenhouse gas emissions of agriculture. Energy, Sustainability and Society 1 6. and (
- 2006) The new international standards for life cycle assessment: ISO 14040 and ISO 14044. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 11 80–85. , , , and (
- 2011) Nutrients from dairy foods are difficult to replace in diets of Americans: food pattern modeling and an analyses of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003–2006. Nutrition Research 31 759–765. , , and (
- 2011) Dairy consumption and the incidence of hyperglycemia and the metabolic syndrome: results from a French prospective study, Data from the Epidemiological Study on the Insulin Resistance Syndrome (DESIR). Diabetes Care 34 813–817. , , , , , , , and (
- 2010) A review of phytate, iron, zinc, and calcium concentrations in plant-based complementary foods used in low-income countries and implications for bioavailability. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 31 S134–S146. , , and (
- 2010) Mitigating climate change: the role of domestic livestock. Animal 4 323–333. , and (
- 2011) Protein efficiency per unit energy and per unit greenhouse gas emissions: potential contribution of diet choices to climate change mitigation. Food Policy 36 562–570. , and (
- 2012) The association between dairy food intake and the incidence of diabetes in Australia: the Australian Diabetes Obesity and Lifestyle Study (AusDiab). Public Health Nutrition 7 1–7. , , , , and (
- 2003) Bioavailability of iron, zinc, and other trace minerals from vegetarian diets. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 78 633S–639S. (
- Innovation Center for US Dairy (2011) US Dairy Sustainability Report. URL http://www.usdairy.com/Sustainability/Reporting/Pages/SustainabilityReport.aspx. Accessed 27/11/2012.
- Innovation Center for US Dairy (2012) Sustainability. URL http://www.usdairy.com/Sustainability/Pages/Home.aspx. Accessed 27/11/2012.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (2011) IPCC Special Report on Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation. pp. 1075. Prepared by Working Group III of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Edenhofer O, Pichs-Madruga R, Sokona Y, Seyboth K, Matschoss P, Kadner S, Zwickel T, Eickenmeier P, Hansen G, Schlomer S, Von Stechow C eds. Cambridge, UK and New York NY.
- 2010) Americans do not meet federal dietary recommendations. Journal of Nutrition 140 1832–1838. , , , and (
- 2012) Dairy consumption and risk of stroke in Swedish women and men. Stroke 43 1775–1780. , and (
- 2013) Is a healthy diet an environmentally sustainable diet? Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 72 13–20. (
- 2011) Livewell: a balance of healthy and sustainable food choices. URL http://assets.wwf.org.uk/downloads/livewell_report_jan11.pdf. Accessed 27/11/2012. , , , , , and (
- 2012) Sustainable diets for the future: can we contribute to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by eating a healthy diet? American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 96 632–639. , , , , , and (
- 2011) Adolescent dairy product consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 94 854–861. , , , , , and (
- 2011) A diet high in low-fat dairy products lowers diabetes risk in postmenopausal women. Journal of Nutrition 141 1969–1974. , , , , , , , , and (
- 2009) Diet and the environment: does what you eat matter? American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 89 1699S–1703S. , , , , and (
- 2004) Estimated healthcare savings associated with adequate dairy food intake. American Journal of Hypertension 17 88–97. and (
- 2009) Choice of foods and ingredients for moderately malnourished children 6 months to 5 years of age. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 30 S343–S404. , and (
- 2008) SLAN 2007: survey of lifestyle, attitudes & nutrition in Ireland. In: Main Report, pp. 61. Dublin: Department of Health and Children. , , et al. (
- 2012) Dietary intake of saturated fat by food source and incident cardiovascular disease: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 96 397–404. , , , , , and (
- 1996) Role of ruminant livestock in sustainable agricultural systems. Journal of Animal Science 74 1406–1409. and (
- 2007) Testing a complete-diet model for estimating the land resource requirements of food consumption and agricultural carrying capacity: the New York State example. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 22 145–153. , and (
- 2012) A systematic review and meta-analysis of elevated blood pressure and consumption of dairy foods. Journal of Human Hypertension 26 3–13. , , , and (
- 2009) Dietary choices and greenhouse gas emissions – assessment of impact of vegetarian and organic options at national scale. Progress in Industrial Ecology – An International Journal 6 340–354. , and (
- 2012) Modelling the health impact of environmentally sustainable dietary scenarios in the UK. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 66 710–715. , , , and (
- 2012) The amount and type of dairy product intake and incident type 2 diabetes: results from the EPIC-InterAct Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 96 382–390. , , et al. (
- 2010) Nutrient density of beverages in relation to climate impact. Food and Nutrition Research 54 doi 10.3402/fnr.v54i0.5170. , , and (
- 2011) Milk and dairy consumption and incidence of cardiovascular diseases and all-cause mortality: dose-response meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 93 158–171. , , , , , and (
- 2012) Dairy consumption and incidence of hypertension: a dose-response meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Hypertension. Hypertension 60 1131–1137. , , , and (
- 2011) Dairy products and its association with incidence of cardiovascular disease: the Malmö diet and cancer cohort. European Journal of Epidemiology 26 609–618. , , , , and (
- Statistics Canada (2006) Nutrition: Findings from the Canadian Community Health Survey 2004. Overview of Canadians' Eating Habits, pp. 47. Ottawa, Canada: Health Statistics Division.
- 2012) Dairy product intake in relation to glucose regulation indices and risk of type 2 diabetes. Nutrition, Metabaolism & Cardiovascular Diseases doi http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2012.05.011. , , , , , and (
- The Global Dairy Agenda for Action (2012) Dairy Agenda for Action. URL http://www.dairy-sustainability-initiative.org/Public/Menu.php?ID=36. Accessed 11/11/2012.
- 2011) Dairy consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 65 1027–1031. , , , and (
- US Department of Agriculture (2012) Research, education, and economics action plan. URL http://www.ree.usda.gov/ree/news/USDA_REE_Action_Plan_02-2012_2.pdf. Accessed 16/02/2013.
- US Department of Agriculture and US Department of Health and Human Services (2010) Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- 2011) Low-fat dairy consumption reduces systolic blood pressure, but does not improve other metabolic risk parameters in overweight and obese subjects. Nutrition, Metabaolism & Cardiovascular Diseases 21 355–361. and (
- 2012) Greenhouse gas emissions of self-selected individual diets in France: changing the diet structure or consuming less? Ecological Economics 75 91–101. , , and (
- 2010) Biomarkers of milk fat and the risk of myocardial infarction in men and women: a prospective, matched case-control study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 92 194–202. , , , , , , and (
- 2008) Food-miles and the relative climate impacts of food choices in the United States. Environmental Science & Technology 42 3508–3513. and (
- 2011) Redefining efficiency of feed use by livestock. Animal 5 1014–1022. (
- 2011) Do healthy diets in Europe matter to the environment? A quantitative analysis. Journal of Policy Making 33 8–28. , , , , , , and (
- World Health Organization (2003) Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases: Report of a Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.
- World Health Organization (2004) Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.
- World Health Organization (2008) The Global Burden of Disease: 2004 update. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.