Should oral misoprostol be used to prevent postpartum haemorrhage in home-birth settings in low-resource countries? A systematic review of the evidence
Version of Record online: 27 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors BJOG An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology © 2012 RCOG
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Volume 120, Issue 3, pages 277–287, February 2013
How to Cite
Should oral misoprostol be used to prevent postpartum haemorrhage in home-birth settings in low-resource countries? A systematic review of the evidence. BJOG 2013;120:277–287., , , .
- Issue online: 14 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 27 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JUL 2012
- 1World Health Organization. WHO Guidelines for the Management of Postpartum Haemorrhage and Retained Placenta. Geneva: WHO, 2009.
- 3Choice of Uterotonic Agents in the Active Management of the Third Stage of Labour: RHL commentary. (last revised: 2 March 2009) The WHO Reproductive Health Library; Geneva: World Health Organization, 2009..
- 4WHO Statement Regarding the use of Misoprostol for Postpartum Haemorrhage Prevention and Treatment. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2009., , .
- 5United Nations Population Fund. The State of the World's Midwifery, 2011: Delivering Health, Saving Lives. New York: UNFPA, 2011.
- 9Expanding uterotonic protection following childbirth through community-based distribution of misoprostol: operations research study in Nepal. ISRN Obstet Gynecol 2010;108:282–8., , , , , , et al.
- 12Estimation of potential effects of improved community-based drug provision, to augment health-facility strengthening, on maternal mortality due to post-partum haemorrhage and sepsis in sub-Saharan Africa: an equity-effectiveness model. Lancet 2009;374:1441–8., , , , , , et al.
- 14World Health Organization. Clarifying WHO Position on Misoprostol use in the Community to Reduce Maternal Death. Geneva: WHO, 2010.
- 17Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Gynuity Health Projects. Misoprostol for Prevention and Treatment of Post-Partum Hemorrhage (PPH): Current Knowledge and Future Directions, 2009. [http://gynuity.org/downloads/meeting_report.pdf]. Last accessed 19 October 2012.
- 18Population Action International. Maternal Health Supplies in Uganda. Washington, DC: Population Action International, 2010.
- 19HRP, WHO. Science-Driven Innovations for Combating Maternal and Perinatal ill-Health: The G.R.E.A.T. Project. Geneva: WHO, 2010. [www.who.int/reproductivehealth/topics/best_practices/Great_Project_2010.pdf]. Last accessed 19 October 2012.
- 20Population Action International. Maternal Health Supplies in Bangladesh. Washington, DC: Population Action International, 2010.
- 22World Health Organization. WHO Model list of Essential Medicines. 17th List. Geneva: WHO, 2011. [http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2011/a95053_eng.pdf]. Last accessed 19 October 2012.
- 23World Health Organization, Department of Reproductive Health and Research. Essential Newborn Care: report of a Technical Working Group. WHO/FRH/MSM/96.13. Geneva: WHO, 1996.
- 25Venture Strategies Innovations. Bangladesh, 2011. [http://www.vsinnovations.org/bangladesh.html]. Last accessed 19 October 2012.
- 26Bixby Center. Preventing Postpartum Hemorrhage with Misoprostol. Berkley: University of California. [http://bixby.berkeley.edu/research/maternal-health/miso/]. Last accessed 19 October 2012.
- 28The World Bank. How We Classify Countries. [http://data.worldbank.org/about/country-classifications]. Last accessed 19 October 2012.
- 32Scottish Intercollegiate Guideline Network. SIGN 50: A Guideline Developer's Handbook. Edinburgh: NHS Quality Improvement Scotland, 2008. [www.sign.ac.uk/guidelines/fulltext/50/index.html]. Last accessed 19 October 2012.
- 39Prevention of postpartum hemorrhage at home birth in Afghanistan. ISRN Obstet Gynecol 2010;108:276–81., , , , , .
- 41Mayer Hashi Project. Community-Based Distribution of Misoprostol for the Prevention of Postpartum Hemorrhage: Evaluation of a Pilot Intervention in Tangail District, Bangladesh. Dhaka: EngenderHealth/Mayer Hashi Project, 2010.
- 44Prevention of Postpartum Hemorrhage Study, West Java, Indonesia. Baltimore, Maryland: JHPIEGO, Maternal and Neonatal Health Program, 2004., , , , , .
- 45Oral misoprostol for preventing postpartum harmorrhage in home births in rural Bangladesh: how effective is it? Glob Health Action 2011;4 DOI:10.3402/gha.v4i0.7017., , , , .
- 46Introduction of misoprostol for prevention of postpartum hemorrhage at the community level in Senegal. ISRN Obstet Gynecol 2011;115:251–5., , , , , .
- 48WHO, editors. Definitions of the health workforce data. Global Atlas of the Health Workforce. Geneva: WHO, 2010. [http://apps.who.int/globalatlas/docs/HRH/HTML/Dftn.html]. Last accessed 19 October 2012.
- 51Nepal Family Health Program II. Technical Brief #11 (Revised January 2012): Community Based Postpartum Hemorrhage Prevention. USAID and Nepal Family Health Program. Washington DC 2012.