Linked article This article is commented on by Norton ME, p 1220 in this issue. To view this mini commentary visit http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1471-0528.12738. The article has journal club questions by Duffy JMN, p.1219 in this issue.
Oral antihypertensive therapy for severe hypertension in pregnancy and postpartum: a systematic review
Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors BJOG An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Volume 121, Issue 10, pages 1210–1218, September 2014
How to Cite
for the Community Level Interventions for Pre-eclampsia (CLIP) Working Group. Oral antihypertensive therapy for severe hypertension in pregnancy and postpartum: a systematic review. BJOG 2014;121:1210–1220., , , , , , ,
- Issue online: 25 AUG 2014
- Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 NOV 2013
- University of British Columbia
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- BC Women's Hospital and Health Centre
- Child & Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia.
- 1Hypertension Guideline Committee, Strategic Training Initiative in Research in the Reproductive Health Sciences (STIRRHS) Scholars. Diagnosis, evaluation, and management of the hypertensive disorders of pregnancy. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2008;30(Suppl 3):S1–48., , , ;
- 2National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Hypertension in Pregnancy: The management of hypertensive disorders during pregnancy. 2010; NICE clinical guideline 107:1–295.
- 3Society of Obstetric Medicine of Australia and New Zealand (SOMANZ). Guidelines for the management of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy 2008. [www.somanz.org/guidelines.asp]
- 5Centre for Maternal and Child Enquiries (CMACE). Saving Mothers' Lives: reviewing maternal deaths to make motherhood safer: 2006–08. The Eighth Report on Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. BJOG 2011;118:1–203.
- 6World Health Organization. WHO Recommendations for Prevention and Treatment of Pre-Eclampsia and Eclampsia. Geneva: WHO; 2011.
- 11PRISMA. Transparent Reporting of Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses. [www.prisma-statement.org/statement.htm]. Accessed 18 October 2012.
- 13Randomized, controlled trial of hydralazine versus nifedipine in pre-eclamptic women with acute hypertension. Clin Exper Hypertens Pregn 1992;11:25–43., , .
- 14Use of hydralazine and nifedipine in hypertensive emergency in pregnancy [Empleo de la hidralazina y de la nifedipina en las emergencias hipertensivas en la gestacion]. Progr Obstet Ginecol 1994;37:90–6., , .
- 18Pre-eclampsia severa. Nifedipina versus chlorpromazina en el manejo del estado hipertensivo agudo. Rev Med Inst Mex Seguro Soc 1989;27:359–63., .
- 28The use of hydralazine and nifedipine as treatment of hypertension emergency during pregnancy. Proceedings of 2nd World Congress of Perinatal Medicine; September 19–24; Rome, Italy; 1993.
- 29Prazosin or nifedipine as a second agent to control early severe hypertension in pregnancy - a randomized controlled trial. 29th Congress of the South African Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists; March 8–12; South Africa; 1998.
- 33Treatment of severe hypertension in pregnancy. Double blind controlled trial a treatment pattern (T.P.) with hydralazine + methyldopa a single T.P. with labetalol. 6th International Congress of the International Society for the Study of Hypertension in Pregnancy; May 22–26; Montreal, Canada; 1988.
- 34A randomized controlled trial of oral nifedipine vs intravenous labetalol in acute control of blood pressure in hypertensive emergencies of pregnancy. 54th All India Congress of Obstetrics and Gynaecology; Jan 5–9; Hyderabad, India; 2011.
- 35Management of severe hypertension in pregnancy: prospective comparison of labetalol vs nifedipine [abstract]. 2006., .
- 44Asthma prevalence increasing by 5% annually. [www.pakrealestatetimes.com/showthread.php?tid=4741]. Accessed 30 March 2012.
- 45World Health Organization. Priority Life-Saving Medicines for Women and Children 2012. Geneva: WHO; 2012.
- 46Pharmacotherapy for pre-eclampsia in low and middle income countries: an analysis of Essential Medicines Lists (EMLs). J Obstet Gynaecol Can 2013;35:215–23., , , , , , et al.
- 48LactMed. Captopril. [http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~zeY44U:1]. Accessed 3 October 2012.