Linked article: This article is commented on by McCourt C, pp. 1430 in this issue.
‘I don't care whether it's HPV or ABC, I just want to know if I have cancer.’ Factors influencing women's emotional responses to undergoing human papillomavirus testing in routine management in cervical screening: a qualitative study
Version of Record online: 1 APR 2014
© 2014 Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Volume 121, Issue 11, pages 1421–1430, October 2014
How to Cite
on behalf of the Irish Screening Research Consortium (CERVIVA). ‘I don't care whether it's HPV or ABC, I just want to know if I have cancer.’ Factors influencing women's emotional responses to undergoing human papillomavirus testing in routine management in cervical screening: a qualitative study. BJOG 2014;121:1421–1430., , , , , , ,
- Issue online: 23 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 1 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 NOV 2013
- Health Research Board, Ireland. Grant Number: HS-05-09
- Health Research Board. Grant Number: ICE/2011/2
- 3American Cancer Society, American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology, and American Society for Clinical Pathology screening guidelines for the prevention and early detection of cervical cancer. CA Cancer J Clin 2012;62:147–72., , , , , , et al.
- 6Department of Health. Improving outcomes: a strategy for cancer; 2012. [www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/135516/dh_123394.pdf.pdf]. Accessed 15 April 2013.
- 7National Services Division NHS Scottish Cervical Screening Programme Test of Cure, Scotland: National Services Division, 2012.
- 8CervicalCheck – Ireland's National Cervical Screening Programme CervicalCheck Programme Report 2010-2011, Ireland: National Cancer Screening Service, 2012. [www.cervicalcheck.ie/_fileupload/CervicalCheck%20programme%20report%201%20Sept%202010%20-%2031%20August%202011%20-%20Final.pdf]. Accessed 10 May 2013.
- 18CervicalCheck – Ireland's National Cervical Screening Programme. CervicalCheck Programme Report 2008-2009, Ireland: National Cancer Screening Service, 2010. [www.cervicalcheck.ie/_fileupload/File/CervicalCheck%20Programme%20Report%202008-2009.pdf]. Accessed 10 May 2013.
- 19National Immunisation Office Ireland. Immunisation Guidelines for Ireland. Chapter 6a Human Papillomavirus, National Immunisation Advisory Committee, Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, 2011. [www.immunisation.ie/en/Downloads/NIACGuidelines/PDFFile_16868_en.pdf] Accessed 15 April 2013
- 20Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory, 2nd edn. New York: Sage Publications Inc, 1998., .
- 21Qualitative data analysis applied policy research. In: Bryman A, Burgess R editors. Analysing Qualitative Data. London: Routledge; 1994. pp. 173–94., .
- 28Positive smear. The emotional issues and what can be done. Health Educ J 1990;49:19–20..
- 35The common sense model of illness danger. In: Rachman S editor. Medical Psychology. Vol. 2. New York: Pergamon Press; 1980. pp. 7–30., , .
- 45NHS National Statistics. Health and Social Care Information Centre. Public Health Indicators and Population Statistics Team. Cervical screening programme. England. 2009–10. Health and Social Care Information Centre; 2010. [www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/cervical/cervical-statistics-bulletin-2009-10.pdf]. Accessed 10 May 2013.