The Quantitative Measurement of Organizational Culture in Health Care: A Review of the Available Instruments
Version of Record online: 23 MAY 2003
Health Services Research
Volume 38, Issue 3, pages 923–945, June 2003
How to Cite
Scott, T., Mannion, R., Davies, H. and Marshall, M. (2003), The Quantitative Measurement of Organizational Culture in Health Care: A Review of the Available Instruments. Health Services Research, 38: 923–945. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.00154
- Issue online: 23 MAY 2003
- Version of Record online: 23 MAY 2003
- 2000. First Break All the Rules. London: Simon and Schuster. , and .
- 1996. “Normal Science, Paradigms, Metaphors, Discourses and Genealogies of Analysis.”In Handbook of Organization Studies, edited by S.Clegg, C.Hardy, and W.Nord, pp. 642–58. London: Sage.
- 1979. Sociological Paradigms and Organisational Analysis. Aldershot: Gower. , and .
- 1991. “Culture, Congruence, Strength and Type: Relationship to Effectiveness. Research in Organizational Change and Development 5: 23–58. , and .
- 1977. “On the Nature of Organizational Effectiveness.”In New Perspectives on Organizational Effectiveness, edited by P.Goodman and J.Pennings, pp. 13–55. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- 1970. The Distinctive College: Antioch, Reed, and Swarthmore. Chicago: Aldine.
- 1993. “Facilitating Innovation at the Nursing Unit Level through Cultural Assessment, Part 1: How to Keep Management Ideas from Falling on Deaf Ears. Journal of Nursing Administration 23: 46–53. , and .
- 1987. Organizational Culture Inventory (OCI). Plymouth, MI: Human Synergistics. , and .
- 1991. “The Reliability and Validity of the Organizational Culture Inventory. Psychological Reports 72: 1299–330. , and .
- 1993. CCQ Manual and User's Guide. Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK: Saville and Holdsworth. , , and .
- 2000. “Organisational Culture and Quality of Health Care. Quality in Health Care 9: 111–9. , , and .
- 1998. “Do Professional Subcultures Set the Limits of Hospital Reform? Clinician in Management 7: 89–98. , , and .
- Department of Health. 1998. A First Class Service, Quality in the NHS. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health. 2000. The NHS Plan: A Plan for Investment, a Plan for Reform. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health. 2002. Shifting the Balance of Power: The Next Steps. London: Department of Health.
- 1992. “Measuring Organizational Culture: The Cultural Audit. Managerial Auditing Journal 7 (6): 30–6. , and .
- 1996. “Top Management Culture and Performance in Canadian, UK and US Hospitals. Health Services Management Research 6 (3): 69–78. , , , and .
- 1998. “Do TQM Interventions Change Management Culture? Quality Management in Health Care 6 (3): 1–11.
- 1987. “Measuring and Interpreting Organizational Culture. Management Communication Quarterly 1 (2): 173–98. , , and .
- 1959. The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life. Garden City, NY: Doubleday.
- 1996. “Assessing the Congruence of Nursing Models with Organizational Culture: A Quality Improvement Perspective. Journal of Nursing Care Quality 10 (2): 41–8. , and .
- 1972. “Understanding Your Organization's Character. Harvard Business Review 5 (3): 119–28.
- 1975. “Diagnosing Organization Ideology.”In The 1975 Annual Handbook for Group Facilitators, edited by J.Jones, and J.Pfeiffer, pp. 101–7. La Jolla, CA: University Associates. .
- 1980. Culture's Consequences: International Differences in Work-Related Values. Beverly, Hills CA: Sage.
- 1990. “Measuring Organizational Cultures: A Qualitative and Quantitative Study across Twenty Cases. Administrative Science Quarterly 35: 286–316. , , , and .
- 2001. “Primary Care in Canada: So Much Innovation, So Little Change. Health Affairs 20 (3): 116–31. , , and .
- 2000. “Relationship of Organizational Culture and Readiness for Change to Employee Commitment to the Organization. Journal of Nursing Administration 30 (1): 11–20. , , , and .
- Institute of Medicine. 2001. Crossing the Quality Chasm. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- 1952. The Changing Culture of a Factory. New York: Dryden.
- 1923. Psychological Types. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- 1998. Learning from the NHS Internal Market. London: King's Fund. , , and .
- 1993. “Taking a Snapshot of Cultural Change. Personnel Management 25 (2): 38–41. , and .
- 1994. “The Impact of Trust Status on Corporate Culture. Journal of Management in Medicine 8 (4): 8–17. , and .
- 1995. “Surveying the Organizational Culture in an NHS Trust. Journal of Management in Medicine 9 (6): 69–77.
- 1997. “Does Managed Care Lead to Better or Worse Quality of Care? Health Affairs 16 (5): 7–25. , and .
- 1986. Images of Organization. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- 1983. “Organizational Symbolism.”In Organizational Symbolism, edited by L.Pondy, P.Frost, G.Morgan, and T.Dandridge, pp. 3–35. Greenwich, CT: JAI. , , and .
- 1990. “Projective Drawings and Metaphor: An Analysis of Organizational Culture. Journal of Managerial Psychology 5 (3): 13–6. , and .
- 1989. The Organizational Culture Perspective. Chicago: Dorsey.
- 1977. Social Systems and the Evolution of Action Theory. New York: Free Press.
- 1979. “On Studying Organizational Culture. Administrative Science Quarterly 24: 570–81.
- 1981. “A Competing Values Approach to Organizational Effectiveness. Public Productivity Review 5: 122–40. , and .
- 1994. “Facilitating Care Delivery: Redesign Using Measures of Unit Culture and Work Characteristics. Journal of Nursing Administration 24 (5): 32–7. , , and .
- 1939. Management and the Worker. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. , and .
- 1985a. Organizational Culture and Leadership. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- 1985b. “How Culture Forms, Develops and Changes.”In Gaining Control of the Corporate Culture, edited by R.Kilmann, M.Saxton, R.Serpa, associates, pp. 17–43. San Francisco: Jossey Bass. .
- 1999. The Corporate Culture Survival Guide. San Franscisco: Jossey-Bass. .
- 1990. “Organizational Culture. American Psychologist 45 (2): 109–19. .
- 2001. Organisational Culture and Health Care Performance: A Review of the Theory, Instruments and Evidence. York: Centre for Health Economics, University of York. , , , and .
- In press. Organisational Culture and Health Care Performance: A Review of The Theory, Instruments and Evidence. Oxford: Radcliffe. , , , and .
- , , , and . (forthcoming—available from the authors). “Does Organisational Culture Influence Health Care Performance? A Review of the Evidence.”
- 1997. “Organizational Culture in Hospitals: Issues in Measurement. Journal of Nursing Measurement 5 (2): 165–78.
- 1957. Leadership in Administration A Sociological Interpretation. New York: Harper & Row.
- 1998. “Assessing the Impact of Continuous Quality Improvement on Clinical Practice: What It Will Take to Accelerate Progress. Milbank Quarterly 76 (4): 593–624. , , and .
- 2000. “Assessing the Impact of Total Quality Management and Organizational Culture on Multiple Outcomes of Care for Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery Patients. Medical Care 38 (2): 207–17. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. “Implementing Evidence-Based Medicine: The Role of Market Pressures, Compensation Incentives, and Culture in Physician Organizations. Medical Care 39 (7, Supplement): I-62–78. , , , , , , , and .
- 1993. “Employees' views of their work experience in private hospitals. Health Services Management Research 6 (2): 129–38. , , and .
- 1983. “Concepts of Culture and Organizational Analysis. Administrative Science Quarterly 28: 339–58.
- 2000. “Are Your Practices Resistant to Changing Their Clinical Culture? Primary Care Report 2 (5): 19–20.
- 1990. “Measuring and Interpreting Organizational Culture. Journal of Nursing Administration 20: 17–24. , , , and .
- 1990. “Can Questionnaires Objectively Assess Organizational Culture? Journal of Managerial Psychology 5 (4): 4–11. , , and .
- 1996. “Assessing Organizational Culture: A Comparison of Methods. International Journal of Selection and Assessment 4 (7): 96–105. , , and .
- 1995. “The Quality in Australian Health Care Study. Medical Journal of Australia 163: 458–71. , , , , , and .