How Do Hospitals Cope with Sustained Slow Growth in Medicare Prices?
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2013
© Published 2013. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the U.S.A.
Health Services Research
Volume 49, Issue 1, pages 11–31, February 2014
How to Cite
White, C. and Wu, V. Y. (2014), How Do Hospitals Cope with Sustained Slow Growth in Medicare Prices?. Health Services Research, 49: 11–31. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12101
- Issue online: 17 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUL 2013
- 2004/5. “The Balanced Budget Act of 1997 and U.S. Hospital Operations.” Inquiry 41(4): 401–17. , , , and .
- 1998. “Cost Shifting or Cost Cutting? The Incidence of Reductions in Medicare Payments.” Tax Policy and the Economy 12 (1): 1–27.
- 2005. “How Do Hospitals Respond to Price Changes?” American Economic Review 95 (5): 1525–47.
- 2013. How Do Hospitals Respond to Negative Financial Shocks? The Impact of the 2008 Stock Market Crash. Cambridge, MA: NBER. , , and
- 1987. “How Did Medicare's Prospective Payment System Affect Hospitals?” New England Journal of Medicine 317 (14): 867–73. , , and
- 2011. The Estimated Effect of the Affordable Care Act on Medicare and Medicaid Outlays and Total National Health Care Expenditures. Testimony before the House Committee on the Budget.
- 2011. “How Much Do Hospitals Cost Shift? A Review of the Evidence.” Milbank Quarterly 89 (1): 90–130.
- 1989. “Profits and Fiscal Pressure in the Prospective Payment System: Their Impacts on Hospitals.” Inquiry 26: 354–65. , , and
- House Budget Committee. 2012. The Path to Prosperity: A Blueprint for American Renewal. Washington, DC.
- Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. 2007. Hospital Acute Inpatient Services Payment System. Payment Basics. Washington, DC.
- Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. 2012. Medicare Payment Policy. Washington, DC.
- Medicare Trustees. 2012. 2012 Annual Report of the Boards of Trustees of the Federal Hospital Insurance And Federal Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Funds. Washington, DC.
- 1970. “Toward a Theory of Nonprofit Institutions: An Economic Model of a Hospital.” American Economic Review 60 (1): 64–74.
- 2003. “The Effect of Financial Pressure on the Quality of Care in Hospitals.” Journal of Health Economics 22 (2): 243–69.
- 1992. The Impact of Financial Pressure on Quality of Care in Hospitals: Post-Admission Mortality under Medicare's Prospective Payment System. Cambridge, MA: Abt Associates, Inc.. , and .
- 2010. “Private-Payer Profits Can Induce Negative Medicare Margins.” Health Affairs 29 (5): 1045–51. , , and
- 2013. “Contrary To Cost-Shift Theory, Lower Medicare Hospital Payment Rates for Inpatient Care Lead to Lower Private Payment Rates.” Health Affairs 32 (5): 935–43.
- 2010. “Hospital Cost Shifting Revisited: New Evidence from the Balanced Budget Act of 1997.” International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics 10 (1): 61–83.
- 2011. The Long-Term Impact of Medicare Payment Reductions on Patient Outcomes. NBER Working Paper. Cambridge, MA: NBER. , and .