The Role of Home Equity Lending in the Recent Mortgage Crisis
Article first published online: 30 AUG 2013
© 2013 American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association
Real Estate Economics
Volume 42, Issue 1, pages 153–189, Spring 2014
How to Cite
LaCour-Little, M., Yu, W. and Sun, L. (2014), The Role of Home Equity Lending in the Recent Mortgage Crisis. Real Estate Economics, 42: 153–189. doi: 10.1111/1540-6229.12029
- Issue published online: 17 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 30 AUG 2013
- 2005. Credit Lines and Credit Utilization. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 38(1): 1–22. , , and .
- 2006. An Empirical Analysis of Home Equity Loan and Line Performance. Journal of Financial Intermediation 15: 444–469. .
- 2011. The Role of Soft Information in a Dynamic Contract Setting: Evidence from the Home Equity Credit Market. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 43(4): 633–655. .
- 2008. Home Equity Loans and Private Mortgage Insurance: Recent Trends & Potential Implications. Available at SSRN: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1277353. Accessed June 18, 2010.
- 2011. Credit Cycle and Dynamic Adverse Selection Effects in Consumer Credit Markets – Evidence from the HELOC Market. Available at SSRN: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1781021. Accessed January 17, 2012. , and .
- 1998. Recent Developments in Home Equity Lending. Federal Reserve Bulletin 84: 241–251. , and .
- 1988. Home Equity Lines of Credit. Federal Reserve Bulletin 74: 361–373. , and .
- 1994. Home Equity Lending: Evidence from Recent Surveys. Federal Reserve Bulletin 80: 571–583. and .
- 2010. Did Easy Credit Lead to Overspending? Home Equity Borrowing and Household Behavior in the Early 2000s. Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, Working Paper No. 09–7.
- CoreLogic. 2011. CoreLogic Negative Equity Report, Third Quarter.
- Fitch Ratings. 2012. U.S. Housing and Bank Balance Sheets Special Report, February 27. Fitch Ratings: New York.
- 2010. Second Liens: How Important? The Journal of Fixed Income 20(2): 19–30. , , and .
- 2008. Sources and Uses of Equity Extracted from Homes. Oxford Review of Economic Policy 24(1): 120–144. and .
- 2011. Real Estate Investors, the Leverage Cycle, and the Housing Market Crisis. Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Staff Report No. 514. , , and .
- 2006. Economic Fundamentals in Local Housing Markets: Evidence from U.S. Metropolitan Regions. Journal of Regional Science 46(3): 425–453. , and .
- 2004. Equity Dilution: An Alternative Perspective on Mortgage Default. Real Estate Economics 32(3): 359–384.
- 2011. What Role Did Piggyback Lending Play in the Housing Bubble and Mortgage Collapse? Journal of Housing Economics 20(2): 81–100. , and .
- 2009. Follow the Money: A Close Look at Recent Southern California Foreclosures. Paper presented at the 2009 Midyear AREUEA Meeting, Washington, D.C. , and .
- 1989. Second Mortgage and Household Savings. Regional Science and Urban Economics 19: 325–346. and .
- 2009. The Consequences of Mortgage Credit Expansion: Evidence from the U.S. Mortgage Default Crisis. Quarterly Journal of Economics 124(4): 1449–1496. and .
- 2011. House Prices, Home Equity-Based Borrowing, and the U.S. Household Leverage Crisis. American Economic Review 101: 2132–2156. and .
- 2010. The Failure of Models that Predict Failure: Distance, Incentives and Defaults. Chicago GSB Research Paper No. 08-19. , and .
- 1997. Determinants of the Demand for Home Equity Credit Lines. The Journal of Consumer Affairs 31(2): 326–345. and .
- 2010. The Geographic Determinants of Housing Supply. Quarterly Journal of Economics 125(3): 1253–1296.
- 1997. The Home Equity Lending Industry. The Hudson Institute: Indianapolis.