Technical note: References to the Lunyu Yishu 《論語義疏》 are to the reproduction of the Genji 元治 redaction in Yan Lingfeng 嚴靈峰, ed., Wuqiubeizhai Lunyu Jicheng 《無求備齋論語集成》 (Taipei: Yiwen Publisher, 1966). The Genji redaction (1864) is a reproduction of Nemoto Sonshi's 根本遜志 (1699–1764) collation work based on the so-called Ashikaga manuscript which dates from between 1521 and 1554. Further reference is given to the Taitokudō 懷德堂 redaction, a collation of a 1477 manuscript copy with old textual witnesses preserved in Japan, established by Takeuchi Yoshio 武内義雄 (1886–1966) and first published in 1923/1924. Takeuchi Yoshio's redaction is accompanied by his collation notes, the Lunyu Yishu Jiaokanji or Rongo Giso Kōkan Ki 《論語義疏校勘記》; both are reproduced in Yan, Wuqiubeizhai Lunyu Jicheng. For the Thirteen Classics I refer to Ruan Yuan 阮元, ed., Shisan Jing Zhushu [Fu Jiaokanji] 《十三經注疏 [附校勘記] 》 (Taipei: Yiwen Publisher, 1985). References to sections (zhang 章) of the Lunyu follow the textual arrangement and segmentation in the Harvard-Yenching Index Series; see Lunyu Yinde 《論語引得》, in Shisan Jing Yinde 《十三經引得》, reprint (Taipei: Yanjing Publisher, n.d.), Vol. 8.
Orality and the Transmission of Interpretations in Two Versions of Huang Kan's Lunyu Yishu: Teaching Lunyu from the National University of the Liang to the Periphery of the Tang Empire†
Article first published online: 26 NOV 2013
© 2013 Journal of Chinese Philosophy
Journal of Chinese Philosophy
Volume 40, Issue 2, pages 307–322, June 2013
How to Cite
Fuehrer, B. (2013), Orality and the Transmission of Interpretations in Two Versions of Huang Kan's Lunyu Yishu: Teaching Lunyu from the National University of the Liang to the Periphery of the Tang Empire. Journal of Chinese Philosophy, 40: 307–322. doi: 10.1111/1540-6253.12037
- Issue published online: 26 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 26 NOV 2013
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!