Aggarwal is at the McIntire School of Commerce, University of Virginia, and Samwick is at Dartmouth College and the NBER. We thank Sheri Aggarwal, Matt Clayton, Syd Finkelstein, Bob Gibbons, Jay Hartzell, Lorin Hitt, Leonhard Knoll, Margaret Meyer, Michael Weisbach, seminar participants at Boston College, Columbia, Dartmouth, Michigan, Oregon, Purdue, Vanderbilt, the American Finance Association Meetings, the American Economic Association Meetings, the NYU Accounting and Finance Conference, the UNH Spring Finance Conference, and the Western Finance Association Meetings, and especially Rick Green and the referee for helpful comments. We also thank Sarah Leonard, Yevgeny Neginsky, Evan Walsh, and Paul Wolfson for exceptional research assistance and Andy Halula for assistance with the ExecuComp database. This is a completely revised version of our 1999 NBER working paper of the same title. Financial support from the American Compensation Association and the Presidential Scholars Program at Dartmouth College is gratefully acknowledged. The views expressed are solely ours and do not reflect the views or opinions of the American Compensation Association. Any errors are our own.
Performance Incentives within Firms: The Effect of Managerial Responsibility
Version of Record online: 15 JUL 2003
© 2003 the American Finance Association
The Journal of Finance
Volume 58, Issue 4, pages 1613–1650, August 2003
How to Cite
Aggarwal, R. K. and Samwick, A. A. (2003), Performance Incentives within Firms: The Effect of Managerial Responsibility. The Journal of Finance, 58: 1613–1650. doi: 10.1111/1540-6261.00579
- Issue online: 15 JUL 2003
- Version of Record online: 15 JUL 2003
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!