Development, Dissemination, and Preimplementation Evaluation of Food Safety Educational Materials for Secondary Education
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2013
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 12, Issue 2, pages 28–37, April 2013
How to Cite
Shearer, A. E.H., Snider, O. S. and Kniel, K. E. (2013), Development, Dissemination, and Preimplementation Evaluation of Food Safety Educational Materials for Secondary Education. Journal of Food Science Education, 12: 28–37. doi: 10.1111/1541-4329.12004
- Issue published online: 25 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2013
- MS 20121062 Submitted 8/2/2012, Accepted 12/19/2012.
- 1998. Storytelling as a pedagogical tool in higher education. Education 118:440–52. .
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. Career guide to industries, 2010–2011 Edition. Available from: http://www.bls.gov/oco/cg/cgs023.htm#emply. Accessed Mar 27, 2012.
- CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), Joint Committee on Natl. Health Education Standards. 2007. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/sher/standards/index.htm. Accessed May 10, 2012.
- 2011. Food safety infosheets: design and refinement of a narrative-based training intervention. Br Food J 113(2):160–86. , , .
- Delaware Dept. of Education. 2007. Delaware Content Standards and Recommended Curriculum AgriScience Education Food Science Pathway Standards. Available from: http://www.doe.k12.de.us/infosuites/staff/ci/content_areas/agriscience.shtml. Accessed May 10, 2012.
- 2007. Teaching science with case studies: a national survey of faculty perceptions of the benefits and challenges of using cases. J College Sci Teaching 37(1):34. , , , , , .
- 2006. Assessing food system attitudes among youth: development and evaluation of attitude measures. J Nutr Educ Behav 38:91–5. , .
- 2006. Shopping for food safety and the public trust: What supply chain stakeholders need to know about consumer attitudes. Food Safety Mag. 12(3):52–59. , , .
- 2005. Using case studies to teach science. An ActionBioscience.org article. Available from: http://www.actionbioscience.org/education/herreid.html#primer. Accessed December 10, 2008. .
- 2007. Once upon a time … Storytelling to enhance teaching and learning. Can J Diet Pract Res 68(1):30–5. .
- 2007. College students and awareness of food safety. J Food Sci 99:60–8. , , .
- Natl. Research Council, Committee on Highly Successful Science Programs for K-12 Science Education. Board on Science Education and Board on Testing and Assessment, Div. of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education. 2011. Successful K-12 STEM Education: Identifying Effective Approaches in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Washington , D.C. : The Natl. Academies Press.
- Natl. Research Council, Committee on Science Learning: Computer Games, Simulations, and Education. 2011. Learning science through computer games and simulations. Honey MA, Hilton M, editors. Washington , D.C. : Natl. Academies Press.
- Natl. Research Council, Natl. Committee on Science Education Standards and Assessment. 1996. Natl. Science Education Standard. Washington , D.C. : The Natl. Academies Press. Available from: http://www.nap.edu/catalog/4962.html. Accessed May 10, 2012.
- 2005. Consumer food safety knowledge, practices, and demographic differences: findings from a meta-analysis. J Food Prot 68:1884–94. , , .
- 2002. Consumer food safety behavior: a case study in hamburger cooking and ordering. Washington, D.C.: Economic Research Service/USDA. AER-804. , , , , .