Previous affiliations at time work was completed: Nyachuba, Dept. of Nutrition, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003-9282, U.S.A. Couto, Nutrition and Food Sciences Dept., Univ. of Rhode Island, 530 Liberty Lane, West Kingston, RI 02892, U.S.A. Hagan, Food Science Dept., Univ. of Massachusetts, Chenoweth Laboratory, Room 236, Amherst, MA 01003, U.S.A. Breau, Kids First, Providence, RI 02906, U.S.A.
Development and Pilot Testing of a Food Safety Curriculum for Managers and Staff of Residential Childcare Institutions (RCCIs)
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 12, Issue 4, pages 67–74, October 2013
How to Cite
Pivarnik, L. F., Patnoad, M. S., Nyachuba, D., McLandsborough, L., Couto, S., Hagan, E. E. and Breau, M. (2013), Development and Pilot Testing of a Food Safety Curriculum for Managers and Staff of Residential Childcare Institutions (RCCIs). Journal of Food Science Education, 12: 67–74. doi: 10.1111/1541-4329.12011
- Issue published online: 30 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 FEB 2013
- USDA Integrated Research
- Education and Competitive Program. Grant Number: Nr 2007–51110- 03816
- 2006. Nutrition Education and Training Coordinator Nutrition, Health and Safety, Massachusetts Department of Education. Personal communication .
- 2003. Food handling and consumption knowledge, attitudes and behaviors of young adults and the impact of a food safety social marketing campaign. USDA/CSREES award No. 2003–51110–01736. Available from: http://cris.nifa.usda.gov/cgi-bin/starfinder/1434/crisassist.txt. Accessed February 18, 2013. , .
- 2006. Nutrition Program Specialist. Office of School Improvement and Support Services. Rhode Island Department of Education. Personal communication. .
- 2008. Microbiological analysis of food contact surfaces in child care facilities. App And Environ Micro 74(22):6918–22. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Quantitative microbial recovery from food surfaces. J Assoc Food Drug Officials 69(3):41–7. , .
- 2012. Microbiological performance of food safety management system in a food service operation. J Food Prot 75(4):706–16. , , , , .
- 2012. Assessment of food safety knowledge and attitudes of managers of residential childcare institutions (RCCI) in the northeast. Food Prot Trends 32(6):296–308. , , , .
- 2008. Benefits and barriers to following HACCP-based food safety programs in childcare centers. Food Prot Trends 28(1):37–44. , .
- 2008. Food safety training and foodservice employees’ knowledge and behavior. Food Prot Trends 28(4):252–60. , , , , , .
- 2004. Microbiological evaluation of foodservice contact surfaces in Iowa assisted-living facilities. J ADA 104(11):1722–4. , , , .
- 2007. Food safety knowledge and behaviors of cooks in Texas childcare centers. Food Prot Trends 27(2):90–4. , , .
- USDA. 2005. Guidance for School Food Authorities: Developing a School Food Safety Program Based on the Process Approach to HACCP Principles. Available from: http://www.fns.usda.gov/fns/safety/pdf/HACCPGuidance.pdf. Accessed February 18, 2013.
- USDA. 2006. National School Lunch Program Factsheet. Available from: http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Lunch/ Accessed February 18, 2013.
- 1999. Inactivation of Escherichia coli 0157:H7 and Listeria monocytogenes on plastic kitchen cutting boards by electrolyzed oxidizing water. J Food Prot 62(8):857–60. , , ,
- Food safety training needs exist for staff and consumers in a variety of community-based homes for people with developmental disabilities. J Am Dietetic Assn 97(6):619–25. , , .