Assessing Knowledge and Attitudes of U.S. Healthcare Providers about Benefits and Risks of Consuming Seafood
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 12, Issue 4, pages 75–80, October 2013
How to Cite
Hicks, D. T., Pivarnik, L. F., Richard, N. L., Gable, R. K. and Morrissey, M. T. (2013), Assessing Knowledge and Attitudes of U.S. Healthcare Providers about Benefits and Risks of Consuming Seafood. Journal of Food Science Education, 12: 75–80. doi: 10.1111/1541-4329.12014
- Issue published online: 30 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 FEB 2013
- USDA/CSREES Award. Grant Number: 2007-51110-03815
- 2013. Do physicians beliefs about causes of obesity translate into actionable issues on which physicians counsel their patients? Prev Med 56(5):326–8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2013.01.012. Accessed February 11, 2013. , , , .
- 2011. Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation for the treatment of children with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptomology. J Am Acad Child Adolescent Psych 50(10):991–1000. , .
- 2012. Health professional's knowledge and understanding about Listeria monocytogenes indicates and need for improved professional training. J Food Prot 75(7):1310–6. , , , , .
- 2012. International Food Information Council Foundation food and health survey, 2006–2010, food safety: a web-enabled survey. Food Prot Trends 32(6):309–26. , , , .
- 2004. Maternal DHA and the development of attention in infancy and toddlerhood. Child Dev 75:1254–67. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Fish intake during pregnancy and early cognitive development of offspring. Epidemiology 15:394–402. , , , .
- 2008. Health professionals’ attitudes and educational needs regarding new food processing technologies. J Food Sci Educ 7(4):78–83. Available online through ift.org. , .
- 2010. Something fishy? News media presentation of complex health issues related to fish consumption guidelines. Public Health Nutr 13(11):1786–94. , , .
- 2009. Communicating the net benefits of seafood consumption. Food Technol 11:39–44. , , , , .
- 2004. Accumulated evidence on fish consumption and coronary heart disease mortality: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. Circulation 109:2705–11. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Fish consumption and major depression. The Lancet 351:1213.
- 2008. Consumer perceptions about seafood – an internet survey. J Foodserv 19(4):213–26. , , .
- 2009. Consumer awareness and willingness to pay for high-pressure processing of ready-to-eat food. J Food Sci Educ 8:32–8. Available online www.ift.org. , , , , , .
- 2003. Perinatal biochemistry and physiology of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. J Pediatr 143: S1–8. .
- 2006. Intake of fish and n3 fatty acids and risk of coronary heart disease among Japanese: the Japan Public Health Center-Based (JPHC) Study Cohort I. Circulation 113:195–202. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. The occurrence and prevention of foodborne disease in vulnerable people. Foodborne Pathogens Dis 8(9):961–73. Available online http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3159107. Accessed 2/11/2013. , .
- 2011. Practitioner and lay perspectives of the service provision of nutrition information leaflets in primary care. J Hum Nutr Diet 24:552–9. , , , .
- 2012. Current food safety knowledge of registered dietitians. Food Prot Trends 32(11):688–96. , .
- 2004. Health care providers’ attitudes toward current food safety recommendations for pregnant women. Appl Nurs Res 17(3):178–86. , , , , .
- 2005. Fish intake and risk of incident heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 45:2015–21. , , , , .
- National Academy of Sciences. 2006. Seafood choices: balancing benefits and risks. Nesheim MC, Yaktine AL, editors. Institute of Medicine, Washington, D.C. The National Academies Press. p 1–29.
- NMFS(National Marine Fisheries Service). 2012. Fisheries of the United States 2011. http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/fus/fus11/FUS_2011.pdf Accessed July 31, 2013.
- 2003. Decline in fish consumption among pregnant women after a national mercury advisory. Obstet gynecol 102:346–51. , , , , , .
- 2006. New England home gardeners’ food safety knowledge of fresh fruits and vegetables. Food Prot Trends 26(5):298–309. , , , .
- 2012. Assessment of Food Safety Knowledge for Managers of Residential Childcare Institutions (RCCI) in the Northeast. Food Prot Trends 32(6):296–308. , , .
- 2005. The Oxford-Durham study: a randomized, controlled trial of dietary supplementation with fatty acids in children with developmental coordination disorder. Pediatrics 115:1360–6. , .
- 2005. Health professionals hold positive attitudes toward biotechnology and genetically engineered food. J Environ Health 67(10):44–9. , , , .
- 2008. Women's awareness of the importance of long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid consumption during pregnancy: knowledge of risks, benefits and information accessibility. Public Health Nutr 12(4):562–9. , , , .