Food-Based Science Curriculum Increases 4th Graders Multidisciplinary Science Knowledge
Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2013
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 12, Issue 4, pages 81–86, October 2013
How to Cite
Hovland, J. A., Carraway-Stage, V. G., Cela, A., Collins, C., Díaz, S. R., Collins, A. and Duffrin, M. W. (2013), Food-Based Science Curriculum Increases 4th Graders Multidisciplinary Science Knowledge. Journal of Food Science Education, 12: 81–86. doi: 10.1111/1541-4329.12016
- Issue online: 30 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 17 APR 2013
- Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA) from the National Inst. of Health (NIH)
- Achieve, Inc. 2013. Next generation science standards. Achieve, Inc. Available from: http://www.nextgenscience.org./ Accessed June 3, 2013.
- 2003. National Science Foundation graduate teaching fellows promote food science education in K-12 schools in Maine. J Food Sci Educ 2(4):58–60. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2003.tb00029.x. , , .
- 2004. Science content courses: workshop in food chemistry for 4th grade school teachers. J Food Sci Educ 3(4):59–68. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2004.tb00046.x. , .
- 2010. Adolescents demonstrate improvement in obesity risk behaviors after completion of Choice, Control & Change, a curriculum addressing personal agency and autonomous motivation. J Am Diet Assoc 110(12):1830–9. doi: 10.1016/j.jada.2010.09.015. , , , .
- 2010. Using food as a tool to teach science to 3rd grade students in Appalachian Ohio. J Food Sci Educ 9(2):41–46. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2010.00090.x. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Food science: An ecological approach. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- 2010. Validity and reliability of a nutrition knowledge survey for assessment in elementary school children. J Am Diet Assoc 110(3):452–456. doi: 10.1016/j.jada.2009.11.017 , , , , .
- 2010. School-based screening of the dietary intakes of third graders in rural Appalachian Ohio. J Sch Health 80(11):536–43. doi: 10.1111/j.1746-1561.2010.00539.x , , , , .
- 2008. Integrating math and nutrition education: Teaching with the FDA food label. Am J Health Educ 39(2):113–17.
- 1998. Curriculum integration in nutrition and mathematics. J Sch Health 68(1):3–6. , .
- 2013. Impact of a school-based pediatric obesity prevention program facilitated by health professionals. J Sch Health 83(3):171–91. doi: 10.1111/josh.12013 , , , , , .
- 2002. Nutrition knowledge and food choices of elementary school children. Early Child Dev Care 172(3):269–73. , .
- 2004. An approach to improving science knowledge about energy balance and nutrition among elementary and middle school students. Cell Biol Educ 3(2):122–30. , , , , , .
- National Research Council. 1996. National science education standards. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- National Research Council. 2012. A framework for K-12 science education: practices, crosscutting concepts, and core ideas. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NC DPI). 2009. K-12 curriculum and instruction: NC standard course of study. NC Board of Education. Available from: http://www.dpi.state.nc.us./ Accessed Mar 25, 2013.
- 1990. School-based cardiovascular health promotion: the child and adolescent trial for cardiovascular health (CATCH). J Sch Health 60(8):406–13. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Effects of a nutrition education program on the dietary behavior and nutrition knowledge of second-grade and third-grade students. J Sch Health 75(4):129–33. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2008.06.002. , , , .
- 2012. Using food science demonstrations to engage students of all ages in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). J Food Sci Educ 11(2):16–22. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2011.00138.x. , , , .
- 2003. Using qualitative research methods to ascertain elementary students’ understandings of food safety. J Food Sci Educ 2(2):25–31. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4329.2003.tb00022.x , .
- 2012. Nutrition education intervention improves vegetable-related attitude, self-efficacy, preference, and knowledge of 4th grade students. J Sch Health 82(1):37–43. doi: 10.1111/j.1746-1561.2011.00665.x , , , .
- 2009. Focus on food: development of the cooking with kids experiential nutrition education curriculum. J Nutr Educ Behav 41(5):371–3. doi:10.1016/j.jneb.2009.01.004 , .
- White House Task Force on Childhood Obesity. 2010. Solving the problem of childhood obesity within a generation: Report to the President. Available from: http://www.letsmove.gov/sites/letsmove.gov/files/TaskForce_on_Childhood_Obesity_May2010_FullReport.pdf. Accessed Nov 18, 2012.