Implementation and Assessment of Food Safety Educational Materials for Secondary and Postsecondary Education
Article first published online: 10 JAN 2014
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 4–11, January 2014
How to Cite
Shearer, A. E.H., Snider, O. S. and Kniel, K. E. (2014), Implementation and Assessment of Food Safety Educational Materials for Secondary and Postsecondary Education. Journal of Food Science Education, 13: 4–11. doi: 10.1111/1541-4329.12017
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 10 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 MAR 2012
- 2009. Comparison of food safety cognitions and self-reported food handling behaviors with observed food safety behaviors of young adults. Eur J Clin Nutr 63:572–9. , , , , .
- 2007. Development and evaluation of an online, inquiry-based food safety education program for secondary teachers and their students. J Food Sci Educ 6:66–71. , , , .
- 2007. Food safety self-reported behaviors and cognitions of young adults: results of a national survey. J Food Prot 70(8):1917–26. , , , , , .
- 2008. Risky eating behaviors of young adults—implications for food safety education. J Am Diet Assoc 108(3):549–52. , , , , , .
- 2011. International Food Information Council Foundation Food and Health Survey, 2006–2010, food safety: a web-enabled survey. Food Prot Trends 32(6):309–26. , , , , .
- 2001. Use of a computerized kiosk in an assessment of food safety knowledge of high school students and science teachers. J Nutr Educ 33(1):37–42. , , .
- 2006. Shopping for food safety and the public trust: what supply chain stakeholders need to know about consumer attitudes. Food Safety Mag. June/July, 52–9. , , .
- 2005. Using case studies to teach science. An AtionBioscience.org article. Available from: http://www.actionbioscience.org/education/herreid.html#primer. Accessed December 10, 2008.
- 2013. Observational trial of safe food handling behavior during food preparation using the example of Campylobacter spp. J Food Prot 76(3):482–9. , , , , , .
- 2008. Delivering food safety education to middle school students using a web-based, interactive, multimedia, computer program. J Food Sci Educ 7:35–42. , , , , .
- 2007. College students and awareness of food safety. J Family Consum Sci 99:60–8. , , .
- 2005. Consumer food safety knowledge, practices, and demographic differences: findings from a meta-analysis. J Food Prot 68:1884–94. , , .
- 2011. Burger preparation: what consumers say and do in the home. J Food Prot 74(10):1708–16. , .
- 2008. Validation of an interdisciplinary food safety curriculum targeted at middle school students and correlated to state educational standards. J Food Sci Educ 7:54–61. , , , , .
- 2013. Development, dissemination, and preimplementation evaluation of food safety educational materials for secondary education. J Food Sci Educ 12:28–37. , , .
- 2009. Food safety education using music parodies. J Food Sci Educ 8:62–7. , , , , , .