Identification of Core Competencies for an Undergraduate Food Safety Curriculum Using a Modified Delphi Approach
Article first published online: 10 JAN 2014
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science Education
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 12–21, January 2014
How to Cite
Johnston, L. M., Wiedmann, M., Orta-Ramirez, A., Oliver, H. F., Nightingale, K. K., Moore, C. M., Stevenson, C. D. and Jaykus, L.-A. (2014), Identification of Core Competencies for an Undergraduate Food Safety Curriculum Using a Modified Delphi Approach. Journal of Food Science Education, 13: 12–21. doi: 10.1111/1541-4329.12024
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 10 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 JUN 2012
- USDA-NIFA National Education Program in Food Safety. Grant Number: 2011-67005-30010
- 2009. Competencies for a United States horticulture undergraduate major: a national Delphi study. Hortechnology 19(2):452–8. , , .
- 2012. Career preparedness survey outcomes of food science graduates – a follow-up assessment. J Food Sci Educ 11(2):8–15. , .
- Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). 2011. Accreditation criteria public health programs. Available from: http://ceph.org/assets/PHP-Criteria-2011.pdf. Accessed March 24, 2013.
- 1999. The modified Delphi technique – a rotational modification. J Vocat Tech Educ 15(2). Available from: http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JVTE/v15n2/custer. Accessed Feb 27, 2013. , , .
- 2010. A preliminary study of Malaysian SH&E professionals using the Delphi technique. Professional Safety October Issue. Available from: http://www.asse.org/professionalsafety/pastissues/055/10/1010 Ismai.pdf. Accessed Feb 20, 2013. , ,
- 2006. Developing a competence-based core curriculum in biomedical laboratory science: a Delphi study. Med Teach 28(5):409–17. .
- 2001. IFT revises its education standards. Food Technol 55(10):53–6, 58–9. .
- [IFT] Institute of Food Technologists. 2011. Resource guide for approval and re-approval of undergraduate food science programs. Available from: http://www.ift.org/knowledge-center/learn-about-food-science/become-a-food-scientist/approved-undergrad-programs/education-standards.aspx. Accessed Jan 12, 2013.
- 2011. Introduction to the IFT 2011 resource guide for approval and re-approval of undergraduate food science programs. J Food Sci Educ 10(4):54–6. .
- 1995) Consensus methods for medical and health services research. Brit Med J 311:376–80. , . (
- 2012. Developing and engaging the manufacturing workforce. White paper. Alliance for Innovation and Operational Excellence Manufacturing Excellence Share Group. Available from: http://community.pmmi.org/Alliance/Home/. Accessed Jan 5, 2013. , , .
- 2011. Use of a stakeholder-driven DACUM process to define knowledge areas for food protection and defense. J Homel Secur Emerg 8(2), Article 6. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. A Delphi study to update CTE teacher competencies. Educ Train 54(6):488–503. , .
- 2012. Using a Delphi method to develop competencies: the case of domestic violence. J Community Med Health Educ 2(2). Available from: http://www.omicsonline.org/JCMHE/JCMHE-2--124.pdf. Accessed Feb 27, 2013. , .
- 2006. Relative importance of the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) core competencies – a case study survey. J Food Sci Educ 5:35–9. , , .
- 2003. Delphi: myths and reality. J Health Organ Manage 17(1):37–52. .
- [NRC] National Research Council. 2009. Transforming agricultural education for a changing world. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. p 179–82.
- [NRC] National Research Council. 2012. Food-animal veterinary medicine. In: Workforce needs in veterinary medicine. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. p 55–88.
- [PCAST] President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology. 2012. Report to the president on agricultural preparedness and the agriculture research enterprise. Executive Office of the President. December 2012. Available from: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/pcast_agriculture_20121207.pdf. Accessed Jan 10, 2013.
- 2003. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine. Curriculum design. Brit Med J 326:268–70.
- 1992. Mastering the instructional design process: a systematic approach. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass. , .
- 2012. Back to basics to tackle coming shortage of food safety auditors. Food Navigator USA. Available from: http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Regulation/Back-to-basics-to-tackle-coming-shortage-of-food-safety-auditors. Accessed Jan 7, 2013.
- 2002. A Delphi study to determine informatics competencies for nurses at four levels of practice. Nurs Res 51(6):383–90. , , .
- [GAO] U.S. Government Accountability Office. 2009. Veterinarian workforce: actions are needed to ensure sufficient capacity for protecting public and animal health. Available from: http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09--178. Accessed March 20, 2013.
- 2013. Perceptions of food safety and curricular offerings. NACTA J 57(1):36–40. , .
- 1997. Developing a core curriculum in clinical pharmacology and therapeutics: a Delphi study. Br J Clin Pharmacol 44:167–70. , .
- 1995. Specialized surveys and group techniques for data gathering and analyses. In: Witkins BR, Altschuld JW, editors. Planning and conducting needs assessments: a practical guide. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publishing. p 186–209. , .