2 Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Antimicrobial Resistance: Challenges and Perspectives
Article first published online: 11 MAR 2013
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Volume 12, Issue 2, pages 234–248, March 2013
How to Cite
Doyle, M. P., Loneragan, G. H., Scott, H. M. and Singer, R. S. (2013), Antimicrobial Resistance: Challenges and Perspectives. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 12: 234–248. doi: 10.1111/1541-4337.12008
- Issue published online: 11 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 11 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 DEC 2012
- 2010. Changes in the use of antimicrobials and the effects on productivity of swine farms in Denmark. Am J Vet Res 71:726–33. , , , , .
- 2011. Livestock waste-menace: fish wealth-solution. Afr J Environ Sci Technol 5:149–54. , , .
- 2009. Quantification of the blaCMY-2 in feces from beef feedlot cattle administered three different doses of ceftiofur in a longitudinal controlled field trial. Foodborne Pathog Dis 6:917–24. , , , , .
- 2000. Clinical use of fluoroquinolones in children. Ann Pharmacother 34:347–59. , .
- 2001. Environmental selection of antibiotic resistance genes. Environ Microbiol 3:1–9. , , .
- 2000. Origins and consequences of antimicrobial-resistant nontyphoidal Salmonella: implications for the use of fluoroquinolones in food animals. Microb Drug Resist 6:77–83. , , , .
- 2004a. Evidence of an association between use of anti-microbial agents in food animals and anti-microbial resistance among bacteria isolated from humans and the human health consequences of such resistance. J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 51:374–9. , , .
- 2004b. Antimicrobial use in agriculture: controlling the transfer of antimicrobial resistance to humans. Semin Pediatr Infect Dis 15:78–85. , , , , .
- 2006. Bovine respiratory disease: pathogenesis, clinical signs, and treatment in lightweight calves. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract 22:399–411.
- 2012. Phenotypic and genetic characterization of antimicrobial resistance in Salmonella serovars isolated from retail meats in Alberta, Canada. Food Microbiol 32:110–7. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. In vitro evaluation of antibiotic synergy for NDM-1-producing Enterobacteriaceae. J Antimicrob Chemother 66:2295–7. , , , .
- 2011. MRSA CC398 in the pig production chain. Prev Vet Med 98:182–9. , , , , , , , , .
- CAC. 2011. Guidelines for risk analysis of foodborne antimicrobial resistance, CAC/GL 77–2011. Codex Alimentarius Commission. Rome, Italy.
- 2010. BlaCMY-2-positive IncA/C plasmids from Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica are a distinct component of a larger lineage of plasmids. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:590–6. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Replicon typing of plasmids encoding resistance to newer β-lactams. Emerg Infect Dis 12:1145–8. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Characterization of plasmids carrying CMY-2 from expanded-spectrum cephalosporin-resistant Salmonella strains isolated in the United States between 1996 and 1998. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:1269–72. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Molecular epidemiology of blaCMY-2 plasmids carried by Salmonella enterica and Escherichia coli isolates from cattle in the Pacific Northwest. Appl Environ Microbiol 73:8005–11. , , .
- DANMAP. 2011. DANMAP 2010―Use of antimicrobial agents and occurrence of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria from food animals, food and humans in Denmark. Danish Integrated Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring and Research Programme. National Food Inst., Technical Univ. of Denmark and Statens Serum Institut.Available from: http://www.danmap.org. Accessed 2012 Oct 4.
- DANMAP. 2012. DANMAP 2011―Use of antimicrobial agents and occurrence of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria from food animals, food and humans in Denmark. Danish Integrated Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring and Research Programme. National Food Inst., Technical Univ. of Denmark and Statens Serum Institut. Available from: http://www.danmap.org. Accessed 2012 Sept 26.
- 2012. Livestock-associated MRSA: what are the risks to human health? Proceedings, Allen D. Leman Swine Conference, September 17–18, 2012, St. Paul MN. pp. 153–7. .
- 2011. Lethal necrotizing pneumonia caused by an ST398 Staphylococcus aureus strain. Emerg Infect Dis 17:1152–3. , , .
- 2005. Antagonistic synergy: process and paradox in the development of new agricultural antimicrobial regulations. Agric Human Values 22:479–89. , .
- 2012. Efficacies of colistin and tigecycline in mice with experimental pneumonia due to NDM-1-producing strains of Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coli. Int J Antimicrob Agents 39:251–4. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Veterinary epidemiologic research. Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island,Canada: VER Inc., 865 p. , , .
- 2010. Ceftiofur resistance in Salmonella enterica serovar Heidelberg from chicken meat and humans, Canada. Emerg Infect Dis 16:48–54. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- EFSA. 2009. Assessment of the public health significance of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in animals and foods. Scientific opinion of the Panel on Biological Hazards. The EFSA Journal 993:1–73. European Food Safety Authority.
- 2009. Unusual class 1 integron-associated gene cassette configuration found in IncA/C plasmids from Salmonella enterica. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:2640–2. , , , , .
- FAO/OIE/WHO. 2003. Joint FAO/OIE/WHO Workshop on Non-human Antimicrobial Usage and Antimicrobial Resistance: Scientific Assessment. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, 40 p.
- FDA. 2003. Guidance for Industry #152. Evaluating the safety of antimicrobial new drugs with regard to their microbiological effects on bacteria of human health concerns. Rockville, MD: Food and Drug Administration, Center for Veterinary Medicine. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/GuidanceComplianceEnforcement/GuidanceforIndustry/UCM052519.pdf. Accessed 2012 August 10.
- FDA. 2011. National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System―Enteric Bacteria (NARMS); 2008 Executive Report. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. 114 p.
- FDA. 2012. National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System―Enteric Bacteria (NARMS); 2010 Executive Report. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. 115 p.
- FDA/SAB. 2007. National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System (NARMS) Program Review. Food and Drug Administration Science Advisory Board. 25. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/07/briefing/2007-4329b_02_06_NARMS%20Review%20Update.pdf. Accessed 2013 Jan 7.
- 2000. Ceftriaxone-resistant Salmonella infection acquired by a child from cattle. N Engl J Med 342:1242–9. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012a. Characterization of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Heidelberg from a ground turkey-associated outbreak in the United States in 2011. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:3465–6. , , , , , , , .
- 2012b. Characterization of extended-spectrum cephalosporin-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Heidelberg isolated from food animals, retail meat, and humans in the United States 2009. Foodborne Pathogens Dis 9:638–45. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Comparative genomics of the IncA/C multidrug resistance plasmid family. J Bacteriol 191:4750–7. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Prevalence, distribution and characterization of ceftiofur resistance in Salmonella enterica isolated from animals in the USA from 1999 to 2003. Intl J Antimicrob Agents 30:134–42. , .
- Globefish. 2012. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Available from: http://www.globefish.org/shrimp-november-2010.html. Accessed 2012 Sept 25.
- 2010. Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus ST398 in veal calf farming: human MRSA carriage related with animal antimicrobial usage and farm hygiene. PLoS One 5(6):e10990. , , , , , .
- 1997. Antibiotic use in animal agriculture. J Appl Microbiol 83:531–41. , .
- HHS/FDA. 1997. Extralabel animal drug use; fluoroquinolones and glycopeptides; order of prohibition. Fed Reg 62(99):27944–7.
- HHS/FDA. 2008. New animal drugs; cephalosporin drugs; extralabel animal drug use; order of prohibition. Food and Drug Administration, Health and Human Services. Fed Reg 73(129):38110–13.
- HHS/FDA. 2012. New animal drugs; cephalosporin drugs; extralabel animal drug use; order of prohibition. Final Rule. Fed Reg 77(4):735–45.
- 2000. Incidence of Salmonella in fish and seafood. J Food Protect 63:579–92. , , , .
- 2003. Antibiotic use in shrimp farming and implications for environmental impacts and human health. Int J Food Sci Technol 38:255–66. , , , , , .
- 2004. Public health consequences of macrolide use in food animals: a deterministic risk assessment. J Food Prot 67:980–92. , , , , , , , .
- IFT. 2006. Antimicrobial resistance: implications for the food system. Doyle MP, Busta F, Cords BR, Davidson, PM, Hawke J, Hurd HS, Isaacson RE, Matthews K, Maurer J, Meng J, Montville TJ, Shryock TR, Sofos JN, Vidaver AK, Vogel L. Comp Rev Food Sci Food Safety 5:71–137.
- 2009. Pathogenomics of the virulence plasmids of Escherichia coli. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 73:750–74. , .
- 2006. DNA sequence of a ColV plasmid and prevalence of selected plasmid-encoded virulence genes among avian Escherichia coli strains. J Bacteriol 188:745–58. , , , .
- 2012. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., et al., Plaintiffs, v. United States Food and Drug Administration, et al., Defendants. In: United States District Court SDNY, ed, No. 11 Civ 3562 (THK). New York: United States District Court, S.D. New York.
- 2005. Salmonella and the sanitary quality of aquacultured shrimp. J Food Protect 68:2527–32. , , , .
- 2008. Salmonella enterica burden in harvest-ready cattle populations from the Southern high plains of the United States. Appl Environ Microbiol 74:345–51. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Antibiotic resistance in bacteria from shrimp farming in mangrove areas. Sci Total Environ 349:95–105. , , .
- 2003. Integrated livestock-fish farming systems. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy. 177 p. Available from: ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/006/y5098e/y5098e00.pdf. Accessed on 2013 Jan 4. , .
- 2007. Changes in antimicrobial susceptibility in a population of Escherichia coli isolated from feedlot cattle administered ceftiofur crystalline-free acid. Am J Vet Res 68:501–7. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Prevalence of antimicrobial resistance among Salmonella isolates from chicken in China. Foodborne Pathogens Dis 8:45–53. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. An ecological approach to assessing the epidemiology of antimicrobial resistance in animal and human populations. Proc Biol Sci 279:1630–9. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Relationship of in vitro minimum inhibitory concentrations of tilmicosin against Mannheimia haemolytica and Pasteurella multocida and in vivo tilmicosin treatment outcome among calves with signs of bovine respiratory disease. J Am Vet Med Assoc 239:129–35. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Transferable, multiple antibiotic and mercury resistance in Atlantic Canadian isolates of Aeromonas salmonicida subsp. salmonicida associated with carriage of an IncA/C plasmid similar to the Salmonella enterica plasmid pSN254. J Antimicrob Chemother 61:1221–8. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Research priorities of the MRSA problem in the Dutch animal husbandry. Tijdschr Diergeneeskd 131:930–3. , .
- 2012. Variable within- and between-herd diversity of CTX-M cephalosporinase-bearing Escherichia coli isolates from dairy cattle. Appl Environ Microbiol 78:4552–60. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Prevalence of livestock-associated MRSA in broiler flocks and risk factors for slaughterhouse personnel in The Netherlands. Epidemiol Infect 138:743–55. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Handbook on import risk analysis for animals and animal products. Paris, France: Office International des Epizooties.
- NARMS Animal Arm USDA Interactive Data Query Page. 2011. National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System [Internet]. Food and Drug Adminstration, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, United States Department of Agriculture. Athens, GA: United States. Department of Agriculture/Agricultural Research Service; Available from: http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/site_main.htm?docid=17964. Accessed 2012 Oct 4.
- National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System (NARMS) – Reports. 2012: Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Mar 2, 2012 Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/narms/reports.htm. Accessed 2012 Nov 7.
- NOAA. 2011. U.S. domestic seafood landings and values increase in 2010. National Oceanic and Admospheric Administration. Available from: http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2011/20110907_usfisheriesreport.html. Accessed 2013 Jan 4.
- OIE. 2007. OIE List of Antimicrobials of Veterinary Importance. Paris, France: World Organisation for Animal Health 9 p. Available from: http://www.oie.int/fileadmin/Home/eng/Internationa_Standard_Setting/docs/pdf/OIE_list_antimicrobials.pdf. Accessed on 2012 Sept 25.
- 2008. Vibrio cholerae O139 multiple-drug resistance mediated by Yersinia pestis pIP1202-like conjugative plasmids. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3829–36. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Antimicrobial susceptibility of enteric bacteria recovered from feedlot cattle administered chlortetracycline in feed. Am J Vet Res 69:988–96. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. NDM-1-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in Mauritius. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:598–9. , , , .
- 2009. Conjugative plasmid transfer between Salmonella enterica Newport and Escherichia coli within the gastrointestinal tract of the lesser mealworm beetle, Alphitobius diaperinus (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Poult Sci 88:1553–8. , .
- 2009. Conjugative transferability of the A/C plasmids from Salmonella enterica isolates that possess or lack blaCMY in the A/C plasmid backbone. Foodborne Pathogens Dis 6:1185–94. , , , , , .
- 2012. Staphylococcus aureus CC398: host adaptation and emergence of methicillin resistance in livestock. MBio 3(1):e00305–11. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium DT104 isolated from humans, United States, 1985, 1990, and 1995. Emerg Infect Dis 8:387–91. , , , .
- 2002. Risk of hemolytic uremic syndrome from antibiotic treatment of Escherichia coli O157:H7 colitis. J Am Med Assoc 288:3111–2. , , , .
- 2007. Modeling the relationship between food animal health and human foodborne illness. Prevent Vet Med 79:186–203. , , , , , .
- 2006. Can landscape ecology untangle the complexity of antibiotic resistance? Nature Rev Microbiol 4:943–52. , , .
- 2010. Molecular characterization of extended-spectrum cephalosporinase-producing Salmonella enterica serovar Choleraesuis isolates from patients in Thailand and Denmark. J Clin Microbiol 48:883–8. , , , , , .
- 2002. Generally overlooked fundamentals of bacterial genetics and ecology. Clin Infect Dis 34 Suppl 3:S85–92.
- 2010. Predicting plasmid promiscuity based on genomic signature. J Bacteriol 192:6045–55. , , , .
- 1969. Report of the joint committee on the use of antibiotics in animal husbandry and veterinary medicine. London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office, U.K. Parliament.
- 2000. Epidemic Salmonella typhimurium DT 104―a truly international multiresistant clone. J Antimicrob Chemother 46:7–10.
- 2011. Antibiotic contaminants in coastal wetlands from Vietnamese shrimp farming. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 18:835–41. , , .
- 2010. ISCR elements are key players in IncA/C plasmid evolution. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:3534. , .
- 2004. Residues of selected antibiotics in water and mud from shrimp ponds in mangrove areas of Vietnam. Mar Pollut Bull 49:922–9. , .
- 2012. Methicillin-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci on pig farms as a reservoir of heterogeneous staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec elements. Appl Environ Microbiol 78:299–304. , , , , , .
- USDA/ERS. 2012. Aquaculture Data. U.S. Department of Agriculture/Economic Research Service. Available from: http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/aquaculture-data.aspx. Accessed 2013 Jan 4.
- 2010. Characterization of multidrug-resistant, qnrB2-positive and extended-spectrum-β-lactamase-producing Salmonella Concord and Salmonella Senftenberg isolates. J Antimicrob Chemother 65:872–75. , , , , .
- 2009. High prevalence of multidrug-tolerant bacteria and associated antimicrobial resistance genes isolated from ornamental fish and their carriage water. PLoS ONE 4(12):e8388. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Questions and answers about MRSA in farm animals. Tijdschr Diergeneeskd 132:558–60. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Unexpected sequence types in livestock associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA): MRSA ST9 and a single locus variant of ST9 in pig farming in China. Vet Microbiol 139:405–9. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Multiple antimicrobial resistance in plague: an emerging public health risk. PLoS ONE 2:e309. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- WHO. 2000a. WHO Global principles for the containment of antimicrobial resistance in animals intended for food. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization. Available from: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2000/WHO_CDS_CSR_APH_2000.4.pdf. Accessed 2011 July 6.
- WHO. 2000b. The medical impact of antimicrobial use in food animals. Report of a WHO Meeting. Berlin, Germany, 13–17 October 1997. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.
- WHO. 2011. Critically important antimicrobials for human medicine, 2nd Revision. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organisation. 20 p.
- WHO. 2012. Report of the 3rd meeting of the WHO Advisory Group on Integrated Surveillance of Antimicrobial Resistance, 14–17 June 2011, Oslo, Norway. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organisation, 70 p. Available from: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/75198/1/9789241504010_eng.pdf. Accessed on 2012 Sept 25.
- 2010. CTX-M-type extended-spectrum β-lactamases present in Escherichia coli from the feces of cattle in Ohio, United States. Foodborne Pathogens Dis 7:1575–9. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The risk of the hemolytic-uremic syndrome after antibiotic treatment of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections. N Engl J Med 342:1930–6. , , , , .
- 2012. Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibilities of Vibrio, Salmonella and Aeromonas isolates from various uncooked seafoods in Thailand. J Food Protect 75:41–7. , , , , , .
- 2008. Integrated food chain surveillance system for Salmonella spp. in Mexico. Emerg Infect Dis 14:429–35. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Outbreak of multi-drug resistant Salmonella Newport–United States, January-April 2002. J Am Med Assoc 288:951–3. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003b. Antimicrobial-resistant Salmonella serovars isolated from imported foods. Intl J Food Microbiol 84:87–92. , , , , , .
- 2003a. Characterization of Salmonella enterica serotype Newport isolated from humans and food animals. J Clin Microbiol 41:5366–71. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Identification and expression of cephamycinase blaCMY genes in Escherichia coli and Salmonella isolates from food animals and ground meat. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:3647–50. , , , , , , , , , .