Potential Utility of High-Pressure Processing to Address the Risk of Food Allergen Concerns
Version of Record online: 17 DEC 2013
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 78–90, January 2014
How to Cite
Huang, H.-W., Hsu, C.-P., Yang, B. B. and Wang, C.-Y. (2014), Potential Utility of High-Pressure Processing to Address the Risk of Food Allergen Concerns. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 13: 78–90. doi: 10.1111/1541-4337.12045
- Issue online: 17 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 17 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUL 2013
- Ministry of Economic Affairs. Grant Number: 102-EC-17-A-03-04-0719
- 2011. Japan food allergen labeling regulation–history and evaluation. In: Taylor SL, editor. Advances in food and nutrition research. Burlington, Vt.: Academic Press. p 137–71. , , .
- Allergen Nomenclature Sub-Committee. 2013. Arachis hypogaea (peanut). Available from: http://www.allergen.org/search.php?allergensource=peanut. Accessed 2013 July.
- Australian Food and Grocery Council. 2007. Food industry guide to allergen management and labeling, 2007 revised edition. Available from: http://www.allergenbureau.net/allergen-guide/afgc-allergen-guide./ Accessed 2013 July.
- 2008. Preserving foods through high-pressure processing. Food Technol 62(11):32–8. , , .
- 2011. Boiling peanut Ara h 1 results in the formation of aggregates with reduced allergenicity. Mol Nutr Food Res 55:1887–94. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Further fatalities caused by anaphylactic reactions to food, 2001–2006. J Allergy Clin Immunol 119:1016–8. , , .
- 2007. Enhancing consumer acceptance of new processing technologies. Innov Food Sci Emerg Technol 8:555–8. .
- 2002. Application of gamma irradiation for inhibition of food allergy. Radiat Phys Chem 6:369–70. , , , , .
- 2008. Hydrolysis under high hydrostatic pressure as a means to reduce the binding of β-lactoglobulin to immunoglobulin E from human sera. J Food Prot 71:1453–9. , , , , .
- 2005. Polyphenol oxidase/caffeic acid may reduce the allergenic properties of peanut allergens. J Sci Food Agric 85:2631–7. , , .
- 2008. Effects of pulsed UV-light on peanut allergens in extracts and liquid peanut butter. J Food Sci 73:C400–4. , , .
- 2008. The etiology and incidence of anaphylaxis in Rochester, Minnesota: a report from the Rochester Epidemiology Project. J Allergy Clin Immunol 122:1161–5. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The challenge of cow milk protein allergy. Small Rumin Res 68:64–72. .
- EU. 2003. Directive 2003/89/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 10 November 2003 amending Directive 2000/13/EC as regards indication of the ingredients present in foodstuffs. J Eur Union 308:15–8.
- FAO. 1995. Report of the FAO Technical Consultation on Food Allergies. Rome, Italy, 13–14 November 1995. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- FDA. 2011. Kinetics of microbial inactivation for alternative food processing technologies – High-pressure processing. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodScienceResearch/SafePracticesforFoodProcesses/ucm101456.htm. Accessed 2013 July.
- FDA. 2013. Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (Public Law 108–282, Title II). Available from: http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/Allergens/ucm106187.htm. Accessed 2013 July.
- 2011. Food allergy. In: Pawankar R, Canonica GW, Holgate, ST, Akey RF, editors. WAO white book on allergy. Milwaukee, Wis.: World Allergy Organization. p 47–53. , , , .
- 2005. The natural history of tree nut allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 116:1087–93. , , , .
- Food Standards Agency. 2006. Guidance on allergen management and consumer information. Available from: http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/maycontainguide.pdf. Accessed 2013 July.
- 2010. Effect of heat treatment on the quantitative detection of egg protein residues by commercial enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay test kits. J Agric Food Chem 58:4831–8. , , .
- 2002. Rising prevalence of allergy to peanut in children: data from 2 sequential cohorts. J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:784–9. , , , , .
- 2009. Influence of high-pressure treatment on allergenicity of rDau c1 and carrot juice demonstrated by in vitro and in vivo tests. High Press Res 29:695–704. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Comparison of different extraction solutions for the analysis of allergens in hen's egg. Food Chem 108:1088–93. , , .
- 2010. In vitro determination of the allergenic potential of egg white in processed meat. J Allergy (Cairo) 2010:1–5. , , , , , .
- 2009. Allergenicity of main celery allergen rApi g1 and high-pressure treatment. High Press Res 29:686–94. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Food allergens and processing – review of recent results. 11th Intl. Congress on Engineering and Food; Athens, Greece, 22–26 May 2011. , , .
- 2013. A high pressure combined enzyme preparation method of the allergen in a method for lobster method for preparing low-allergen brine shrimp by combination of high pressure and enzyme method. Chinese Patent 201110276942.9. , , inventors.
- 2011. High-pressure microfluidisation-induced changes in the antigenicity and conformation of allergen Ara h 2 purified from Chinese peanut. J Sci Food Agric 91:1304–9. , , , , , .
- 2011. High-pressure treatment reduces the immunoreactivity of the major allergens in apple and celeriac. Mol Nutr Food Res 55:1087–95. , , , , , , .
- 2010. High pressure, thermal and pulsed electric-field-induced structural changes in selected food allergens. Mol Nutr Food Res 54:1701–10. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Review on the high pressure technology (HPT) for food preservation. J Food Process Technol 3:1–5. , , , .
- 2008. Impact of gamma-radiation on antigenic properties of cow's milk beta-lactoglobulin. J Food Prot 71:1270–2. , , , , , .
- 2000. Release of allergenic proteins from rice grains induced by high hydrostatic pressure. J Agric Food Chem 48:3124–9. , , , , .
- 2007. Antigenic response of bovine β-lactoglobulin influenced by ultra-high pressure treatment and temperature. Innov Food Sci Emerg Technol 8:39–45. , , .
- 2004. Relevance of Ara h1, Ara h2 and Ara h3 in peanut-allergic patients, as determined by immunoglobulin E Western blotting, basophil-histamine release and intracutaneous testing: Ara h2 is the most important peanut allergen. Clin Exp Allergy 34:583–90. , , , , .
- 2003. The effect of microwave treatment on the immunoreactivity of gliadin and wheat flour. Eur Food Res Technol 217:387–91. , , , , .
- 2002. Sensitization to common food allergens is a risk factor for asthma in young Chinese children in Hong Kong. J Asthma 39:523–9. , , , , .
- 2006. Reduction of allergenic properties of shrimp (Penaeus Vannamei) allergens by high-intensity ultrasound. Eur Food Res Technol 223:639–44. , , .
- 2012. Effects of high hydrostatic pressure treatment on allergenicity and structural properties of soybean protein isolate for infant formula. Food Chem 132:808–14. , , , .
- 2013. Effect of pulsed ultraviolet light and high hydrostatic pressure on the antigenicity of almond protein extracts. Food Bioprocess Technol 6:431–40. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. High-pressure treatment with silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix) protein and its allergic analysis. High Press Res 30:438–42. , .
- 2010. Effects of boiling on the IgE-binding properties of tropomyosin of shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei). J Food Sci 75:T1–5. , , , , , .
- 2010. Shellfish allergy. Clin Exp Allergy 40:850–8. , , .
- 2005. Medicament for specific immunotherapy, especially for combating food allergy, comprising material, preferably foodstuff, containing allergen subjected to antiallergenic pretreatment, preferably using high pressure. Deutsches Patent DE 10 2004 031 275 A1. , , , , , inventors.
- 2007. Specific immuno-modulation and therapy by means of high pressure treated allergens. High Press Res 27:63–7. , , .
- 2008. The impact of processing on allergenicity of food. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 8:249–53. , .
- 2009. Impact of food processing on the structural and allergenic properties of food allergens. Mol Nutr Food Res 53:963–9. , , , , .
- Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China. 2011. National food safety standard pre-packaged food labels general. Chinese Natl. Standards. GB 7718–2011.
- 2005. Influence of thermal processing on the allergenicity of peanut proteins. J Agric Food Chem 53:4547–53. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Wheat allergy. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 9:238–43.
- 2007. Quasi-adiabatic temperature increase during high pressure processing of selected foods. J Food Eng 80:199–205. , , .
- 2011. High hydrostatic pressure effects on immunoreactivity and nutritional quality of soybean products. Food Chem 125:423–9. , , , , .
- 2007. Opportunities and challenges in high pressure processing of foods. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 47:69–112. , , , , .
- 2008. Analysis of food-allergic and anaphylactic events in the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System. J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:166–71. , , , , , .
- 1996. Epidemiology of food allergy. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 7:42–50. .
- 2009. Effects of food processing on food allergens. Mol Nutr Food Res 53:970–8. , .
- 2005. Effects of food processing on the stability of food allergens. Biotechnol Adv 23:423–9. , , .
- 2007. The natural history of egg allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 120:1413–7. , , , .
- 1998. Biochemical and structural analysis of the IgE binding sites on Ara h 1, an abundant and highly allergenic peanut protein. J Biol Chem 273:13753–9. , , , , , .
- 2011. Thermal and nonthermal methods for food allergen control. Food Eng Rev 3:26–43 , .
- 2011. Pulsed ultraviolet light reduces immunoglobulin E binding to Atlantic white shrimp (Litopenaeus setiferus) extract. Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:2569–83. , , , .
- 2006. Food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 117:S470–5. , .
- 2010. Food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 125:S116–25. , .
- 1999. Prevalence of peanut and tree nut allergy in the US determined by a random digit dial telephone survey. J Allergy Clin Immunol 103:559–62. , , , .
- 2003. Prevalence of peanut and tree nut allergy in the United States determined by means of a random digit dial telephone survey: a 5-year follow-up study. J Allergy Clin Immunol 112:1203–7. , , .
- 2004. Prevalence of seafood allergy in the United States determined by a random telephone survey. J Allergy Clin Immunol 114:159–65. , , .
- 2010. US prevalence of self-reported peanut, tree nut, and sesame allergy: 11-year follow-up. J Allergy Clin Immunol 125:1322–6. , , , .
- 1997. Identification and mutational analysis of the immunodominant IgE binding epitopes of the major peanut allergen Ara h 2. Arch Biochem Biophys 342:244–53. , , , , , .
- 2009. Effects of heating and glycation of beta-lactoglobulin on its recognition by IgE of sera from cow milk allergy patients. J Agric Food Chem 57:4974–82. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Food allergies and other food sensitivities. Food Technol 55(9):68–83. , .
- 1992. Food allergies. In: Finley JW, Robinson SF, Armstron DJ, editors. Food safety assessment. Washington, D.C.: American Chemical Society Publications. p 316–27. , , .
- 2000. Food allergies and sensitivities. In: Helferich W, Winter CK, editors. Food toxicology. San Diego, Calif.: Chemical Rubber Co. Press. p 1–36. , , .
- 2009. Food-dependent exercise-induced anaphylaxis—a review of 5 cases. Ann Acad Med 38:905–9. , , , .
- 1998. High-pressure processing and preservation of food. Food Rev Int 14:427–43. , .
- 2006. Review: potential of high hydrostatic pressure and pulsed electric fields for energy efficient and environmentally friendly food processing. Food Rev Int 22:405–23. , , , .
- 2006. Mechanisms of type I food allergy. Pharmacol Ther 112:787–98. , .
- 2013. Recent advances in food processing using high hydrostatic pressure technology. Crit Rev Food Sci, in press. , , , .
- 2000. Novel method for producing hypoallergenic wheat flour by enzymatic fragmentation of the constituent allergens and its application to food processing. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 64:2663–7. , , , .
- 2008. The principles of ultra high pressure technology and its application in food processing/preservation: a review of microbiological and quality aspects. Afr J Biotechnol 7:2739–67. , , .
- 2010. Use of pulsed ultraviolet light to reduce the allergenic potency of soybean extracts. J Food Eng 6:1–12. , , , , , .
- 2010. High pressure processing for foods preserving. Biotechnol Biotechnol Equip 24:1940–5. , .