The authors report no conflict of interest or relevant financial relationships.
Principles & Practice
Nursing Peer Review of Late Deceleration Recognition and Intervention to Improve Patient Safety
Article first published online: 13 MAR 2013
© 2013 AWHONN, the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses
Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing
Volume 42, Issue 2, pages 215–224, March/April 2013
How to Cite
Davis, J., Kenny, T. H., Doyle, J. L., McCarroll, M. and von Gruenigen, V. E. (2013), Nursing Peer Review of Late Deceleration Recognition and Intervention to Improve Patient Safety. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing, 42: 215–224. doi: 10.1111/1552-6909.12023
- Issue published online: 13 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 13 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: DEC 2012
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). (2010). Practice bulletin: Management of intrapartum fetal heart rate tracings. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 116, 1232–1240.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. (2012). Committee opinion: Standardization of practice to improve outcomes. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 526, 1081–1082.
- American Nurses Association. (1988). Peer review guidelines. Kansas City, MO: Author.
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses. (2008). Fetal heart monitoring. Retrieved from http://www.awhonn.org/awhonn/content.do?name=05_HealthPolicyLegislation/5H_PositionStatements.htm
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses. (2009). Fetal heart monitoring principles and practices (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- 2011). Knowledge of adverse outcome alters clinicians’ interpretation of the intrapartum cardiograph. British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 118, 978–984. , , , & (
- 1999). Inconsistencies in classification by experts of cardiotocograms and subsequent clinical decisions. British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 106, 1307–1310. , , , & (
- 1997). Evaluation of interobserver agreement of cardiotocograms. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 57, 33–37. , , , , & (
- 2003). Inter-observer variation in assessment of 845 labour admission tests: Comparison between midwives and obstetricians in the clinical setting and two experts. British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 110, 1–5. , , , & (
- 1986). Out of the crisis. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. (
- 2005). Midwives’ visual interpretation of intrapartum cardiographs: Intra- and inter-observer agreement. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 52(2), 133–141. , & (
- 2011). A performance improvement process to tackle tachysystole. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nurses, 40(5), 512–519. , , , & (
- 2012). Implementing an induction scheduling procedure and consent form to improve quality of care. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nurses, 41(4), 462–473. , , , , & (
- 2011). Peer review in nursing: Principles for successful practice. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers LLC. , & (
- 1966). The nature of nursing. New York, NY: Macmillan. (
- Institute of Medicine. (1999). To err is human: Building a safer health system. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- 2013). Does enhanced bundle criteria improve obstetrical outcomes? A comparative study of elective inductions. Journal of Reproductive Medicine. In press. , , , & (
- 2010). Does standardization of care through clinical guidelines improve outcomes and reduce medical liability? Obstetrics & Gynecology, 116, 1022–1025. , & (
- 1982). Interobserver and intraobserver variation in the assessment of antepartum cardiotocograms. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 144, 701–705. , , & (
- 2008). The 2008 National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Workshop report on electronic fetal monitoring. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 112(3), 661–666. , , , & (
- 2003). Training and competency assessment in electronic fetal monitoring: A national survey. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 101, 1243–1248. , , , & (
- 1987). Intra and inter-observer variability in the assessment of intrapartum cardiotocograms. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, 66, 421–424. , , , & (
- 2008). Intrerobserver agreement in the assessment of intrapartum automated fetal electrocardiography in singleton pregnancies. Acta Obstetricia et Gyncecologia, 87, 536–540. , , , , & (
- 2008). Peer review in nursing and midwifery: A literature review. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 17(4), 427–442. , & (
- 2009). Perinatal patient safety: Standarization. American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing, 34(1), 72. (
- 2007). Basics of quality improvement in health care. Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 82(6), 735–739. doi:10.4065/82.6.735 , , & (