Catherine Martin, RN, CCU (cert), BSc (Hons), M (Biostats), PhD Candidate, Research Associate; Tammy Smith, Dip T, RN, BEd, CCRN (ICU), MEd, DEd, Research Fellow; Andis Graudins, MBBS, PhD, FACEM, FACMT, Professor; George Braitberg, MBBS, FACEM, FACMT, Dip EpiBiostats, Professor; Rose Chapman, RN, PhD, MSc (Nursing), Post Grad Dip, BSc, Professor.
Characteristics of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander presentations to three Victorian emergency departments
Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2013
© 2013 Australasian College for Emergency Medicine and Australasian Society for Emergency Medicine
Emergency Medicine Australasia
Volume 25, Issue 6, pages 573–579, December 2013
How to Cite
Martin, C., Smith, T., Graudins, A., Braitberg, G. and Chapman, R. (2013), Characteristics of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander presentations to three Victorian emergency departments. Emergency Medicine Australasia, 25: 573–579. doi: 10.1111/1742-6723.12152
- Issue online: 5 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 SEP 2013
- 1Review of hospital casualty services in Aboriginal health: final report. N.S.W. Dept. of health, Sydney NSW, 1990., , et al.
- 2Utilisation of hospital and rehabilitation services by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples of the Shoalhaven District. Aborig. Torres Strait Isl. Health Inf. Bull. 1995; 20: 55–57..
- 5Is there equity in emergency medical care? A descriptive epidemiological study of emergency department care in New South Wales hospitals (PhD Thesis). Kensington, NSW: School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of New South Wales. 2002..
- 9Australian Health Ministers' Advisory Council. 2011, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Performance Framework Report 2010, AHMAC, Canberra.
- 10Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner Social justice report 2005. Sydney: Human Rights & Equal Opportunity Commission.
- 11Council of Australian Governments. National Indigenous Reform Agreement (Closing the Gap). Canberra: Council of Australian Governments, 2009.
- 12Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2011, Victoria (STE). [Cited 15 Jan 2013.] Available from URL: http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2011/quickstat/2?opendocument&navpos=220
- 13State Government of Victoria. 2012, Victorian Aboriginal Affairs Framework 2013–2018. Building for the future: a plan for ‘Closing the Gap’ in Victoria by 2031. [Cited 4 Jan 2013.] Available from URL: http://raphub.reconciliation.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Opportunities-Victorian-Aboriginal-Affairs-Framework-2013-181.pdf
- 14Southern Health. 2013, Fast facts. [Cited 4 Jan 2013.] Available from URL: http://www.monashhealth.org/page/About_Us/Corporate_Information/
- 15Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2011, Cardinia (C), Casey (C), Greater Dandenong (C), Kingston (C), Glen Eira (C), Monash (C) (Statistical Local Area) Victoria, [Cited 15 Jan 2013.] Available from URL: http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2011/quickstat/2?opendocument&navpos=95
- 18Understanding Health Inequities. Hauora: Māori Standards of Health IV. A Study of the Years 2000-2005. Wellington: Te Rōpū Rangahau Hauora a Eru Pōmare, 2007. [Cited 4 Jul 2013.] Available from URL: http://www.fmhs.auckland.ac.nz/faculty/tkhm/tumuaki/_docs/hauora.pdf, .
- 19Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington: National Academy Press, 2002., , .
- 20Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). Census of Population and Housing: Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA), Australia – Data only, 2006. [Cited 15 January 2013.] Available from URL: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/2033.0.55.001.
- 21Australian College for Emergency Medicine. Policy on the Australian Triage Scale. [Cited 4 Jul 2013.] Available from URL: http://www.acem.org.au/media/policies_and_guidelines/P06_Aust_Triage_Scale_-_Nov_2000.pdf
- 23NSW institute of rural clinical services and teaching, NSW Health. ‘They just don't like to wait’, A comparative study of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people who do not wait for treatment or discharge themselves against medical advice from rural emergency departments. [Cited 15 Jan 2013.] Available from URL: http://www.ruralheti.health.nsw.gov.au/__documents/complete-projects/leanne_wright_report.pdf.
- 24Challenging myths and perceptions Understanding primary care patients in the emergency department. Summary report. Population Health Planning and Research. Northern Melbourne Medicare Local. [Cited 4 Jul 2013.] Available from URL: http://www.nmml.org.au/icms_docs/154949_Summary_Report_-_Challenging_myths_and_perceptions_Understanding_primary_care_patients_in_the_emergency_department.pdf
- 26Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Indigenous Identification in Hospital Separations Data – Quality Report. Health Services Series No. 35, Cat. No. HSE 85, Canberra: AIHW, 2010.
- 27Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. National Best Practice Guidelines for Collecting Indigenous Status in Health Data Sets. Cat. no. IHW 29. Canberra: AIHW, 2010.
- 28AIHW: Penn E. Cardiovascular Disease and Its Associated Risk Factors in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples 2004-05. Cardiovascular disease series no. 29. Cat. No. CVD 41. Canberra: AIHW, 2008.
- 29Australian Institute of health and Welfare. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Performance Framework 2012 Report: Victoria. Cat no. IHW 86. Canberra: AIHW, 2013.