W. Foley, PhD, Research Officer, Adjunct Lecturer
Closing the gap by increasing access to clinical dietetic services for urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
Version of Record online: 13 NOV 2013
© 2013 Dietitians Association of Australia
Nutrition & Dietetics
Volume 71, Issue 4, pages 216–222, December 2014
How to Cite
Foley, W. and Houston, A. (2014), Closing the gap by increasing access to clinical dietetic services for urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Nutrition & Dietetics, 71: 216–222. doi: 10.1111/1747-0080.12090
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2014
- Version of Record online: 13 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: AUG 2013
- 1Queensland Health. The Health of Queenslanders 2008: Prevention of Chronic Disease, Report of the Chief Health Officer. Brisbane: Qld Health, 2008.
- 2AIHW. The Health and Welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People: An Overview 2011. Canberra: AIHW, 2011.
- 4A eulogy for public health nutrition in north Queensland. In: Sweet M, ed. Croaky: The Crikey Health Blog. Melbourne: Crikey, 2012. (Available from. http://blogs.crikey.com.au/croakey/2012/09/16/mourning-the-demise-of-public-health-nutrition-in-queensland/?wpmp_switcher=mobile, accessed 16 September 2012)..
- 5Expansion of the Indigenous Nutrition Workforce in Queensland Health. National Nutrition Networks Conference 08: Good Tucker Good Health. Alice Springs, NT: Nutrition Networks Conference Management Committee, 2008., , et al.
- 6Health Care Access for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander. People Living in Urban Areas, and Related Research Issues: A Review of the Literature. Darwin: Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health, 2008. (Available from: http://www.lowitja.org.au/sites/default/files/docs/DP5_final-pdf.pdf, accessed 10 September 2012)., .
- 7Urbis Keys Young. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Access to Major Health Programs. Sydney: Medicare Australia & the Department of Health and Ageing, 2006.
- 9Australian Health Ministers' Advisory Council (AHMAC). Cultural Respect Framework for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health 2004–2009. Adelaide: Department of Health South Australia, 2004.
- 10Health Council of Canada. Empathy, Dignity, and Respect: Creating Cultural Safety for Aboriginal People in Urban Health Care. Toronto: Health Council of Canada, 2012. (Available from: http://www.healthcouncilcanada.ca/rpt_det.php?id=437, accessed 9 April 2013).
- 11Australian Government, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Services Report, 2010–11: OATSIH Services Reporting – Key Results. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 23. Cat. No. IHW 79.
- 12Steering Committee for the Review of Government Service Provision. Overcoming Indigenous Disadvantage: Key Indicators 2011. Canberra: Productivity Commission, 2011.
- 16Australian Bureau of Statistics (2013). 2033.0.55.001—Census of Population and Housing: Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA), Australia, 2011. Canberra: ABS, 2013. [updated 28 March 2013]. (Available from: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/mediareleasesbyReleaseDate/7E4E3C837B8B704DCA257B3B00116D6F?OpenDocument, accessed 21 October 2013).
- 20StataCorp. Stata Statistical Software: Release 12. College Station, TX: StataCorp LP, 2011.
- 22Introduction to Research: Understanding and Applying Multiple Strategies, 2nd edn. St Louis: Mosby, 1998., .
- 23QSR International Pty Ltd. NVivo qualitative data analysis software; Version 9. 2010.
- 24Department of Health and Ageing. Closing the Gap: Tackling Indigenous Chronic Disease: 5. Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) Items. Canberra: Australian Government, 2010. [updated November 2010]. (Available from: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ctg/publishing.nsf/Content/practice-detail-card-5-medicare-benefits-schedule-items/$file/DHA0002.9%20A4%20Practice%20Detail%20Card%205%20MBS%20Items%20WEB.pdf, accessed 22 October 2012).
- 26Weight management in general practice: what do patients want? Med J Aust 2006; 195: 73–75., , , .
- 28Improving diabetes care in an Urban Aboriginal Medical Centre. Aust J Prim Health. 2005; 11: 25–30., , et al.
- 30Feeding Our Future: Aboriginal Early Childhood Nutrition & Physical Activity Needs Assessment Report. Melbourne: Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation, 2012., , .