An After-School Snack of Raisins Lowers Cumulative Food Intake in Young Children
Article first published online: 21 JUN 2013
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 78, Issue s1, pages A5–A10, June 2013
How to Cite
Patel, B. P., Bellissimo, N., Luhovyy, B., Bennett, L. J., Hurton, E., Painter, J. E. and Anderson, G. H. (2013), An After-School Snack of Raisins Lowers Cumulative Food Intake in Young Children. Journal of Food Science, 78: A5–A10. doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.12070
- Issue published online: 21 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 21 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 SEP 2012
- California Raisin Marketing Board
- American Academy of Pediatrics, American Public Health Assn. & Natl. Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education. 2010. Preventing childhood obesity in early care and education programs: selected standards from caring for our children: Natl. health and safety performance standards; Guidelines for early care and education programs. 3rd ed. Aurora, Colo.: Natl. Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education.
- 2002. Inverse association between the effect of carbohydrates on blood glucose and subsequent short-term food intake in young men. Am J Clin Nutr 76(5):1023–30. , , , .
- 2003. Effect of glycemic carbohydrates on short-term satiety and food intake. Nutr Rev 61(5 Pt 2):S17–26. , .
- 2011. The dietary approaches to stop hypertension eating plan affects C-reactive protein, coagulation abnormalities, and hepatic function tests among type 2 diabetic patients. J Nutr 141(6):1083–8. , , , .
- 2011. Nutritional policies and standards for snacks served in after-school programmes: a review. Public Health Nutr 14(10):1882–90. , , , .
- 2007a. Effect of television viewing at mealtime on food intake after a glucose preload in boys. Pediatr Res 61(6):745–49. , , , .
- 2007b. Effect of short-duration physical activity and ventilation threshold on subjective appetite and short-term energy intake in boys. Appetite 49(3):644–51. , , , .
- 2008a. A comparison of short-term appetite and energy intakes in normal weight and obese boys following glucose and whey-protein drinks. Intl J Obes (Lond) 32(2):362–71. , , , , , .
- 2008b. Reproducibility of short-term food intake and subjective appetite scores after a glucose preload, ventilation threshold, and body composition in boys. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 33(2):326–37. , , , , .
- 1986. Caloric compensation and sensory specific satiety: evidence of self-regulation of food intake by young children. Appetite 7:323–31. , .
- 1993. Children's lunch intake: effects of midmorning snacks varying in density and fat content. Appetite 20:83–94. , , , .
- 2009. The effect of duration of exercise at the ventilation threshold on subjective appetite and short-term food intake in 9- to 14-year-old boys and girls. Intl J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6:66. , , , , , .
- 2003. Raisin dietary fiber composition and in vitro bile acid-binding. J Agric Food Chem 51(3):834–7. , .
- 2005. Age and gender differences in children's food preferences. Br J Nutr 93(5):741–6. , .
- Dietary Reference Intakes Tables [Internet]. 2011 Health Canada. Available from: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/reference/table/index-eng.php#eeer. Accessed 2012 Aug 20.
- 2010. Short-term effects of a snack including dried prunes on energy intake and satiety in normal-weight individuals. Eat Behav 11(3):201–3. , , .
- 1995. Fat preferences and fat consumption of 3- to 5-year-old children are related to parental adiposity. J Am Diet Assoc 95(7):759–64. , .
- 2009. The effect of fruit in different forms on energy intake and satiety at a meal. Appetite 52(2):416–22. , .
- 2003. Parental weight status and girls’ television viewing, snacking, and body mass indexes. Obes Res 11(1):143–51. , , .
- 2007. Canadians’ eating habits. Health Rep 18(2):17–32.
- 2002. Dissociation of the effects of preload volume and energy content on subjective appetite and food intake. Physiol Behav 76(1):57–64. , , , .
- 2006. Most Americans eat much less than recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables. J Am Diet Assoc 106(9):1371–9. , , , .
- 1996. Interrelationships among postprandial satiety, glucose and insulin responses and changes in subsequent food intake. Eur J Clin Nutr 50(12):788–97. , , .
- 2010. Snacking definitions: impact on interpretation of the literature and dietary recommendations. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 50(9):848–71. , .
- 2003. Reported consumption of low-nutrient-density foods by American children and adolescents: nutritional and health correlates, NHANES III, 1988 to 1994. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157(8):789–96. .
- 2011. Dried fruit consumption is associated with improved diet quality and reduced obesity in US adults: Natl. Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999–2004. Nutr Res 31(6):460–7. , , .
- 2010. Short-term appetite-reducing effects of a low fat dairy product enriched with protein and fibre. Food Qual Prefer 21:402–9. , , , , , .
- 2009. Psychosocial correlates of eating behavior in children and adolescents: a review. Intl J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6:54. , , , , .
- 2010. Impact of an organizational intervention designed to improve snack and beverage quality in YMCA after-school programs. Am J Public Health 100(5):925–32. , , , , , .
- 2003. Eating patterns and obesity in children. The Bogalusa heart study. Am J Prev Med 25(1):9–16. , , , , .
- 2002. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 2000 growth charts for the United States: improvements to the 1977 Natl. Center for Health Statistics version. Pediatrics 109(1):45–60. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Television viewing at mealtime reduces caloric compensation in peri-pubertal, but not post-pubertal, girls. Pediatr Res 70(5):513–7. , , , , .
- 2012. A pre-meal snack of raisins decreases mealtime food intake more than grapes in young children. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab, submitted. , , , , .
- 2008. Raisins and additional walking have distinct effects on plasma lipids and inflammatory cytokines. Lipids Health Dis 7:14. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Raisins and walking alter appetite hormones and plasma lipids by modifications in lipoprotein metabolism and up-regulation of the low-density lipoprotein receptor. Metabolism 58(1):120–8. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Determinants of fruit and vegetable consumption among children and adolescents: a review of the literature. Part I: quantitative studies. Intl J Behav Nutr Phys Act 3:22. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Comparative effects of fructose, aspartame, glucose and water preloads on calorie and macronutrient intake. Am J Clin Nutr 51:428–35. .
- 2010. Plenary lecture 1: dietary strategies for the prevention and treatment of obesity. Proc Nutr Soc 69(1):70–9. .
- 1999. Water incorporated into a food but not served with a food decreases energy intake in lean women. Am J Clin Nutr 70(4):448–55. , , .
- 2008. Effect of snacking frequency on adolescents’ dietary intakes and meeting national recommendations. J Adolesc Health 42(5):503–11. , , .
- 2000. The use of visual analogue scales to assess motivation to eat in human subjects: a review of their reliability and validity with an evaluation of new hand-held computerized systems for temporal tracking of appetite ratings. Br J Nutr 84(4):405–15. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Overweight and obese boys reduce food intake in response to a glucose drink but fail to increase intake in response to exercise of short duration. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 37(3):520–9. , , , , .
- US Dept. of Agriculture Nutrient Database for Standard Reference [Internet]. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service; 2007. Available from: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search. Accessed 2012 Aug 20.
- 2008. The children's DEBQ for assessment of restrained, emotional, and external eating in 7- to 12-year-old children. Intl J Eat Disord 41(1):72–81. , .
- 2001. Analysis of energy density of food in relation to energy intake regulation in human subjects. Br J Nutr 85(3):351–61.
- 2001. Effect of sucrose and safflower oil preloads on short-term appetite and food intake of young men. Appetite 37(3):185–95. , .