Author Disclosure: James W. Anderson serves on the Scientific Nutrition Research Panel and as a consultant for the California Raisin Marketing Board; Ashley R. Waters is an Independent Nutrition Consultant for the California Raisin Marketing Board.
Raisin Consumption by Humans: Effects on Glycemia and Insulinemia and Cardiovascular Risk Factors
Article first published online: 21 JUN 2013
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 78, Issue s1, pages A11–A17, June 2013
How to Cite
Anderson, J. W. and Waters, A. R. (2013), Raisin Consumption by Humans: Effects on Glycemia and Insulinemia and Cardiovascular Risk Factors. Journal of Food Science, 78: A11–A17. doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.12071
- Issue published online: 21 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 21 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 SEP 2012
- 1980. High-fibre diets for diabetic and hypertriglyceridemic patients. Can Med Assoc J 123:975–9. .
- 1983. Plant fiber and blood pressure. Ann Intern Med 98:842–6. .
- 2000. Dietary fiber prevents carbohydrate-induced hypertriglyceridemia. Curr Atheroscler Rep 2:536–41. .
- 2004. Whole grains and coronary heart disease: the whole kernel of truth. Am J Clin Nutr 80:1459–60. .
- 2007. Weight loss and lipid changes with low-energy diets. Agro Food 18:1–2. .
- 2008. Dietary fiber and associated phytochemicals in prevention and reversal of diabetes. In: Pasupuleti VK, Anderson JW, editors. Nutraceuticals, glycemic health and type 2 diabetes. Ames, IA: Blackwell Publishing Professional, Blackwell Publishing Professional. p 97–125. .
- 2009. All fibers are not created equal. J Med 2:87–91.
- 2009. Health benefits of dietary fiber. Nutr Rev 67:188–205. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Long-term cholesterol-lowering effects of psyllium as an adjunct to diet therapy in the treatment of hypercholesterolemia. Am J Clin Nutr 71:1433–8. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Antioxidant supplementation effects on low-density lipoprotein oxidation for individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Am Coll Nutr 18:451–61. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Epidemiological studies of dietary fiber and cardiovascular disease. In: Cho S, Almeida N, editors. Dietary fiber and health. New York, NY: CRC Press. p 121–45. , .
- 2003. Importance of weight management in type 2 diabetes: review with meta-analysis of clinical studies. J Am Coll Nutr 22:331–9. , , .
- 2012. Effects of soluble fibers on glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity in individuals at risk for diabetes. SCAN's Pulse 31:13–16. , , .
- 2001. Obesity and disease management: effects of weight loss on comorbid conditions. Obes Res Suppl 4:326S–34S. , .
- 2008. Nutraceuticals and diabetes prevention and management. In: Pasupuleti VK, Anderson JW, editors. Nutraceuticals, glycemic health and type 2 diabetes. Ames, IA: Blackwell Publishing Professional, Blackwell Publishing Professional. p 1–9. , .
- 1984. Hypocholesterolemic effects of high-fibre diets rich in water-soluble plant fibres. J Can Diet Assoc 45:140–9. , , , .
- 2003. Consumption of sugars and the regulation of short-term satiety and food intake. Am J Clin Nutr 78:843S–9S. , .
- 2011. Consumption of pomegranate decreases serum oxidative stress and reduces disease activity in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis: a pilot study. Isr Med Assoc J 13:474–9. , , , , .
- 2006. Muscadine grape products intake, diet and blood constituents of non-diabetic and type 2 diabetic subjects. Nutrition 22:1137–45. , , , , .
- 2011. Raisin consumption may lower circulating oxidized LDL levels, potentially decreasing the risk of coronary heart disease. J Am Diet Assoc 111(9):A46. , , , , .
- 2006. Resveratrol improves health and survival of mice on a high-calorie diet. Nature 444:337–42. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Therapeutic potential of resveratrol: the in vivo evidence. Nat Rev Drug Discov 5:493–506. , .
- 2011. Reduced-viscosity barley beta-glucan versus placebo: a randomized controlled trial of the effects on insulin sensitivity for individuals at risk for diabetes mellitus. Nutr Metab (Lond) 8:58–64. , , , , , , .
- 2012a. Raisins and blood pressure: a randomized controlled trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 59(13s1):E1721. , , , , .
- 2012b. Raisins and glucose: a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes 61:A580–1. , , , , .
- 2011. A review of dietary fiber and health: focus on raisins. J Med Food 14:877–83. .
- 2007. Dietary fructans and serum triglycerides: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Nutr 137:2552S–6S.
- 2011. Glycemic and insulinemic responses to different preexercise snacks in participants with impaired fasting glucose. Intl J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 21:1–10. , , , , .
- 2003. Raisin dietary fiber composition and in vitro bile acid binding. J Agric Food Chem 51:834–7. , .
- 1998a. Increases in human plasma antioxidant capacity after consumption of controlled diets high in fruit and vegetables. Am J Clin Nutr 68:1081–7. , , , .
- 1998b. Serum antioxidant capacity is increased by consumption of strawberries, spinach, red wine or vitamin C in elderly women. J Nutr 128:2383–90. , , , .
- 2009. Health benefits of sun-dried raisins. Kingsburg, CA: Sun-Maid Growers of California. .
- 2006. Concentrated red grape juice exerts antioxidant, hypolipidemic, and antiinflammatory effects in both hemodialysis patients and healthy subjects. Am J Clin Nutr 84:252–62. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Pomegranate juice and punicalagin attenuate oxidative stress and apoptosis in human placenta and in human placental trophoblasts. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302:E1142–52. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Resveratrol enhances insulin secretion by blocking K(ATP) and K(V) channels of beta cells. Eur J Pharmacol 568:269–77. , , , .
- 2007. Phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase is involved in the antihyperglycemic effect induced by resveratrol in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Life Sci 80:1713–20. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Grapes and cardiovascular disease. J Nutr 139:1788S–93S. , .
- 2004. Different effects of red wine and gin consumption on inflammatory biomarkers of atherosclerosis: a prospective randomized crossover trial. Effects of wine on inflammatory markers. Atherosclerosis 175:117–23. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. A resveratrol and polyphenol preparation suppresses oxidative and inflammatory stress response to a high-fat, high-carbohydrate meal. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:1409–14. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Content of redox-active compounds (ie, antioxidants) in foods consumed in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr 84:95–135. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Effect of short-term supplementation of potassium chloride and potassium citrate on blood pressure in hypertensives. Hypertension 45:571–4. , , , , .
- 2009. Bioactivity of grape chemicals for human health. Nat Prod Commun 4:611–34. , .
- 1981. Glycemic index of foods: a physiological basis for carbohydrate exchange. Am J Clin Nutr 34:362–6. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Polyphenolic composition of raisins. J Agric Food Chem 48:5343–50. , , .
- 2011. Dried fruit consumption is associated with improved diet quality and reduced obesity in US adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999–2004. Nutr Res 31:460–7. , , .
- 2008. Raisins are a low to moderate glycemic index food with a correspondingly low insulin index. Nutr Res 28:304–8. , , , . .
- 2006. Resveratrol improves mitochondrial function and protects against metabolic disease by activating SIRT1 and PGC-1alpha. Cell 127:1109–22. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Polyphenolic compounds from red grapes acutely improve endothelial function in patients with coronary heart disease. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 12:596–600. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Daidzein and genistein content of fruits and nuts. J Nutr Biochem 11:326–31. , , , , , .
- 2006. High-fibre, low-fat diet predicts long-term weight loss and decreased type 2 diabetes risk: the Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study. Diabetologia 49:912–20. , , , , , , .
- 2005a. Polyphenols and prevention of cardiovascular diseases. Curr Opin Lipidol 16:77–84. , , .
- 2005b. Bioavailability and bioefficacy of polyphenols in humans. I. Review of 97 bioavailability studies. Am J Clin Nutr 81:230S–42S. , , , , .
- 2007. Flavonoid intake and cardiovascular disease mortality: a prospective study in postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr 85:895–909. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Glucose and insulin responses to manufactured and whole-food snacks. Am J Clin Nutr 45:86–91. , , .
- 2006. Resveratrol, a polyphenolic compound in red wine, protects against oxidized LDL-induced cytotoxicity in endothelial cells. Clin Chim Acta 364:196–204. , , , , , .
- 2007. Antioxidant capacity and phenolic content of grapes, sun-dried raisins, and golden raisins and their effect on ex vivo serum antioxidant capacity. J Agric Food Chem 55:8472–7. , , , .
- 2008. Nutraceuticals, glycemic health and diabetes. Ames, IA: Blackwell Publishing Professional. ,
- 2011. A pre-meal raisin snack increases satiety and lowers cumulative food intake in normal weight children. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 36:475. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Total antioxidant capacity of spices, dried fruits, nuts, pulses, cereals and sweets consumed in Italy assessed by three different in vitro assays. Mol Nutr Food Res 50:1030–8. , , , , , .
- 2008. Raisins and additional walking have distinct effects on plasma lipids and inflammatory cytokines. Lipids Health Dis 7:14–23. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Anti-atherogenic effects of resveratrol. Eur J Clin Nutr 64:660–8. , .
- 2008. Effect of raisin consumption on oxidative stress and inflammation in obesity. Diabetes Obes Metab 10:1086–96. , , , .
- 1999. Atherosclerosis is an inflammatory disease. Am Heart J 138:S419–20.
- 2012. One year of pomegranate juice decreases oxidative stress, inflammation, and incidence of infections in hemodialysis patients: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Free Radic Biol Med 53:297–304. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Nutritional and nutraceutical considerations for dyslipidemia. Future Lipidol 3:313–39. , , .
- 2009. Nutritional and nutraceutical approaches to dyslipidemia and atherosclerosis prevention: focus on dietary protein. Atherosclerosis 203:8–17. , , , .
- 2006. Resveratrol inhibits aggregation of platelets from high-risk cardiac patients with aspirin resistance. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 48:1–5. , , , , .
- 1999. Purple grape juice improves endothelial function and reduces the susceptibility of LDL cholesterol to oxidation in patients with coronary artery disease. Circulation 100:1050–5. , , , , .
- 2005. Effect of soy protein-rich diet on renal function in young adults with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Clin Nephrol 64:1–11. , , , , , .
- 2006. Resveratrol, a red wine antioxidant, possesses an insulin-like effect in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E1339–46. , , .
- USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference [Internet]. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. 2012. Available from: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp. Accessed 2012 July 27.
- 2005. Dried fruits: excellent in vitro and in vivo antioxidants. J Am Coll Nutr 24:44–50. , , , , .
- 2010. Polyphenol content and health benefits of raisins. Nutr Res 30:511–9. , .
- 2008. Cellular antioxidant activity of common fruits. J Agric Food Chem 56:8418–26. , , , , , .
- 2004. Lipophilic and hydrophilic antioxidant capacities of common foods in the United States. J Agric Food Chem 52:4026–37. , , , , , .
- 2005. Cardioprotective effects of dietary polyphenols. J Nutr 135:2291–4. , .
- 2005. Grape polyphenols exert a cardioprotective effect in pre- and postmenopausal women by lowering plasma lipids and reducing oxidative stress. J Nutr 135:1911–7. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Composition and antioxidant activity of raisin extracts obtained from various solvents. Food Chem 108:511–8. , .
- 2009. Type 2 diabetes and glycemic response to grapes or grape products. J Nutr 139:1794S–800S.