Author Disclosure: The author serves on the Scientific Nutrition Research Panel for the California Raisin Marketing Board.
Dietary Bioactive Compounds and Their Health Implications
Version of Record online: 21 JUN 2013
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 78, Issue s1, pages A18–A25, June 2013
How to Cite
Liu, R. H. (2013), Dietary Bioactive Compounds and Their Health Implications. Journal of Food Science, 78: A18–A25. doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.12101
This paper is presented at the IFT Webinar: Emerging Health Benefits of Traditional Dried Fruits. Institute of Food Technologists, July 18, 2012.
- Issue online: 21 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 21 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 OCT 2012
- 2002. Antioxidant activity of grains. J Agric Food Chem 50:6182–7. , .
- 2003. Phytochemicals and antioxidant activity of wheat varieties. J Agric Food Chem 51:7825–34. , , .
- 2005. Phytochemicals and antioxidant activity of milled fractions of different wheat varieties. J Agric Food Chem 53:2297–306. , , .
- 1991. Endogenous mutagens and the causes of aging and cancer. Mutat Res 250:3–16. , .
- 2000. Dietary intakes of flavonols, flavones and isoflavones by Japanese women and the inverse correlation between quercetin intake and plasma LDL cholesterol concentration. J Nutr 131(9):2243–50. , , , , , .
- 2002. Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of cardiovascular disease in US adults: the first National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Epidemiologic Follow-up Study. Am J Clin Nutr 76:93–9. , , .
- 2008. Vegetables and fruits in relation to cancer risk: evidence from the Greek EPIC cohort study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17(2):387–92. , , , , , .
- 1997. Oxidized lipids in atherogenesisi: formation, destruction and action. Thromb Haemost 78:195–9. , , , , , .
- 1992. Fruit, vegetables, and cancer prevention: a review of the epidemiological evidence. Nutr Cancer 18:1–29. , .
- 1993. Nutrition intervention trials in Linxian, China: supplementation with specific vitamin/mineral combinations, cancer incidence, and disease-specific mortality in the general population. J Natl Cancer Inst 85:1483–92. , , .
- 2010. Fruit and vegetable intake and overall cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). J Natl Cancer Inst 102(8):529–37. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Total antioxidant capacity of the diet is inversely and independently related to plasma concentration of high-sensitivity C-reactive protein in adult Italian subjects. Br J Nutr 93(5):619–25. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Vegetable and fruit intake and pancreatic cancer in a population-based case-control study in the San Francisco bay area. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14(9):2093–7. , , .
- 2002. Antioxidant and antiproliferative activities of vegetables. J Agric Food Chem 50:6910–6. , , , .
- 2005. Cranberries inhibit LDL oxidation and induce LDL receptor expression in hepatocytes. Life Sci 77(15):1892–901. , .
- 2000. Fruit and vegetable intakes and prostate cancer risk. J Natl Cancer Inst 92(1):61–8. , , .
- 2002. Processed sweet corn has higher antioxidant activity. J Agric Food Chem 50:4959–64. , , .
- 1981. Avoidable risks of cancer in the United States. J Natl Cancer Inst 66:1197–265. , .
- 2000. Antioxidant activity of fresh apples. Nature 405:903–4. , , .
- 2006. Fruit and vegetable intakes, C-reactive protein, and the metabolic syndrome. Am J Clin Nutr 84(6):1489–97. , , , , , .
- 2008. Fruit and vegetable intake and head and neck cancer risk in a large United States prospective cohort study. Int J Cancer 122(10):2330–6. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Plasma c-reactive protein and homocysteine concentrations are related to frequent fruit and vegetable intake in Hispanic and non-Hispanic white elders. J Nutr 134:913–8. , , .
- 2004. Fruit, vegetable, and antioxidant intake and all-cause, cancer, and cardiovascular disease mortality in a community-dwelling population in Washington County, Maryland. Am J Epidemiol 160(12):1223–33. , , , , .
- GISSI-Prevenzione Investigators. 1999. Dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E after myocardial infarction: results for the GISSI-Prevenzione trial. Lancet 354:447–55.
- 2007. Triterpenoids isolated from apple peels have potent antiproliferative activity and may be partially responsible for apple's anticancer activity. J Agric Food Chem 55(11):4366–70. , .
- 2008. Phytochemicals of apple peels: isolation, structure elucidation, and their antiproliferative and antioxidant activities. J Agric Food Chem 56(21):9905–10. , .
- 2008. Dietary patterns and risk of mortality from cardiovascular disease, cancer, and all-causes in a prospective cohort of women. Circulation 118(3):230–7. , , , , , .
- 1996. Lack of effect of long- term supplementation with β-carotene on the incidence of malignant neoplasms and cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 334:1145–9. , , , , .
- 1993. Dietary antioxidant flavonoids and risk of coronary heart disease: The Zutphen Elderly Study. Lancet 342:1007–11. , , , , .
- 1995. Flavonoid intake and long-term risk of coronary heart disease and cancer in the Seven Countries Study. Arch Intern Med 155:381–6. , , .
- 2000. Flavonols, flavones and flavanols – nature, occurrence and dietary burden. J Sci Food Agric 80:1081–93. , .
- 1999. Dietary flavonoids: intake, health effects and bioavailability. Food Chem Toxicol 37:937–42. , .
- 2004. Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of major chronic disease. J Natl Cancer Inst 96(21):1577–84. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The effect of fruit and vegetable intake on risk for coronary heart disease. Ann Intern Med 134:1106–14. , , .
- 2000. Polyphenolic composition of raisins. J Agric Food Chem 48:5343–50. , , .
- 2011. Vitamin E and the risk of prostate cancer: the Selenium and vitamin E cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT). JAMA 306(14):1549–56. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Comparison of the antioxidant activities of nine different fruits in human plasma. J Med Food 8(1):41–6. , , , , , .
- 2002. Inflammation and atherosclerosis. Circulation 105:1135–43. , , .
- 2009. Effects of selenium and vitamin E on risk of prostate cancer and other cancers: the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT). JAMA 301(1):39–51. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Health benefits of fruits and vegetables are from additive and synergistic combination of phytochemicals. Am J Clin Nutr 78:517S–520S. .
- 2004. Potential synergy of phytochemicals in cancer prevention: mechanism of action. J Nutr 134:3479S-85S. .
- 2007. Whole grain phytochemicals and health. J Cereal Sci 46:207–19. .
- 2005. Potential cell culture models for antioxidant research. J Agric Food Chem 53:4311–4. , .
- 1995. Potential genotoxicity of chronically elevated nitric oxide: a review. Mutat Res 339:73–89. , .
- 2005. Apples prevent mammary tumors in rats. J Agric Food Chem 53:2341–3. , , .
- 2000. Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of cardiovascular disease: the Women's Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr 72:922–8. , , .
- 2006. Fruit and vegetable consumption and colorectal adenomas in the Nurses’ Health Study. Cancer Res 66:3942–53. , , , , , .
- 2011. Hesperidin displays relevant role in the nutrigenomic effect of orange juice on blood leukocytes in human volunteers: a randomized controlled cross-over study. PLoS One 6(11):e26669. , , , , .
- 2010. Raw and processed fruit and vegetable consumption and 10-year coronary heart disease incidence in a population-based cohort study in The Netherlands. PLoS One 5(10):e13609. , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of a combination of β-carotene and vitamin A on lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 334:1150–5. , , , , .
- 2007. Antioxidant capacity and phenolic content of grapes, sun-dried raisins, and golden raisins and their effect on ex vivo serum antioxidant capacity. J Agric Food Chem 55:8472–7. , , , .
- Produce for Better Health Foundation. 2010. State of the plate: 2010 Study on America's consumption of fruits and vegetables. Available at: http://www.pbhfoundation.org/pdfs/about/res/pbh_res/stateplate.pdf. Accessed July 10, 2012.
- 2007. Plasma antioxidant capacity changes following a meal as a measure of the ability of a food to alter in vivo antioxidant status. J Am Coll Nutr 26(2):170–81. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Comparison of C-reactive protein and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in the prediction of first cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med 347:1557–65. , , , , .
- 2000. Antioxidant supplementation in artherosclerosis prevention (ASAP) study: a randomized trial of the effect of vitamins E and C on 3-year progression of carotid atherosclerosis. J Intern Med 248:377–86. , , .
- 2000. Study of low-density lipoprotein oxidizability indexes to measure the antioxidant activity of dietary polyphenols. Nutr Res 20(7):941–53. , , .
- 2010. Cellular antioxidant activity of common vegetables. J Agric Food Chem 58:6621–9. , , , , , .
- 1996. Vegetables, fruit, and cancer prevention: a review. J Am Diet Assoc 96(10):1027–39. , .
- 1996. Randomized controlled trial of vitamin E in patients with coronary disease: Cambridge Heart Antioxidant Study (CHAOS). Lancet 347:154–60. , , , , , .
- 2002. Antioxidant and antiproliferative activities of fruits. J Agric Food Chem 50:7449–54. , , , .
- The Alpha-Tocopherol, Beta Carotene Cancer Prevention Study Group. 1994. The effect of vitamin E and β-carotene on the incidence of lung cancer and other cancers in male smokers. N Engl J Med 330:1020–35.
- The HOPE Investigators. 2000. Vitamin E supplementation and cardiovascular events in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med 342:154–60.
- 2003. Adherence to a mediterranean diet and survival in a greek population. N Engl J Med 348:2599–608. , , , .
- United States Department of Agriculture. [Internet]. 2010. Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010. USDA Human Nutrition Information Service. Available from: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-DGACReport.htm. Accessed July 16, 2012.
- 2009. Fruit, vegetables, and colorectal cancer risk: the european prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr 89(5):1441–52. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Vegetable and fruit consumption and risks of colon and rectal cancer in a prospective cohort study: The Netherlands Cohort Study on Diet and Cancer. Am J Epidemiol 152(11):1081–92. , , , , , .
- 1995. Diet, nutrition, and avoidable cancer. Environ Health Perspect 103:165–70. .
- 2002. Balancing life-style and genomics research for disease prevention. Science 296:695–8. .
- 1998. Oxidized phospholipids and isoprostanes in atherosclerosis. Curr Opin Lipidol 9:441–8. , .
- 2008. Cellular antioxidant activity of common fruits. J Agric Food Chem 56:8418–26. , , , , , .
- 2004. Lipophilic and hydrophilic antioxidant capacities of common foods in the United States. J Agric Food Chem 52:4026–37. , , , , , .
- 2009. Synergistic effect of apple extracts and quercetin 3-β-D-glucoside combination on antiproliferative activity in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells in vitro. J Agric Food Chem 57(18):8581–6. , .
- 2003. Iron bioavailability and antioxidant activity of raisins. J Food Sci 65(2):701–5. , , , , .
- 2000. Vitamin E supplementation and cardiovascular events in high-risk patients. The Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation Study Investigators. N Engl J Med 342:154–60. , , , , .
- 2008. Composition and antioxidant activity of raisin extracts obtained from various solvents. Food Chem 108:511–8. , .