R: CONCISE REVIEWS/HYPOTHESES IN FOOD SCIENCE
Salt Reduction in Vegetable Fermentation: Reality or Desire?
Version of Record online: 14 JUN 2013
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 78, Issue 8, pages R1095–R1100, August 2013
How to Cite
Bautista-Gallego, J., Rantsiou, K., Garrido-Fernández, A., Cocolin, L. and Arroyo-López, F. N. (2013), Salt Reduction in Vegetable Fermentation: Reality or Desire?. Journal of Food Science, 78: R1095–R1100. doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.12170
- Issue online: 19 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 14 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 APR 2013
- Spanish Government for financial. Grant Numbers: AGL2009-07436/ALI, AGL2010-15529/ALI
- Italian Government (ORTO11HEXP)
- AESAN (Agencia Española de Seguridad Alimentaria y Nutrición). 2010. Plan to reduce the salt intake, within the Estrategia NAOS. Available from: http://www.naos.aesan.msps.es/naos/observatorio/observatorio00102.html. Accessed January 2011.
- 1999. Enciclopedia de las Dietas y la Nutrición. Editorial Planeta, Barcelona, Spain. p. 1239–40.
- 2011. The importance of population-wide sodium reduction as a means to prevent cardiovascular disease and stroke: a call to action from the American Heart Association. Circulation 123:1138–43. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Effect of NaCl and its partial or complete replacement with KCl on some functional properties of defatted Colocynthis citrullus L. seed flour. Food Chem 84:187–93. , , .
- 2011. The effect of sodium chloride substitution with potassium chloride on texture profile and microstructure of Halloumi cheese. J Dairy Sci 94:37–42. , , , , .
- 2010. Fermentation profiles of Manzanilla-Aloreña cracked green table olives in different chloride salt mixtures. Food Microbiol 27:403–12. , , , .
- 2011a. Effect of chloride salt mixtures on selected attributes and mineral content of fermented cracked Aloreña olives. LWT-Food Sci Technol 44:120–9. , , , .
- 2011b. Chloride salt mixtures affect Gordal cv. green Spanish-style table olive fermentation. Food Microbiol 28:1316–25. , , , , , .
- 2011c. Evaluating the effects of zinc chloride as a preservative in cracked table olive packing. J Food Protect 74:2169–76. , , , , .
- 2012. Modeling the inhibitory effects of zinc chloride on table olive related yeasts. Food Control 23:499–505. , , , .
- 2013. Development of a novel Zn fortified table olive product. LWT-Food Sci Technol 50:264–71. , , , .
- 2011. Priority actions for the non-communicable disease crisis. Lancet 377:1438–47. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Calcium and chronic disease prevention: challenges to the food industry. Food Technol 44:50–9. , , .
- 2010. Projected effect of dietary salt reductions on future cardiovascular disease. New Engl J Med 362:590–9. , , , , , , .
- 2011. A salt reduction of 50% in bread does not decrease bread consumption or increase sodium intake by the choice of sandwich fillings. J Nutr 141:2249–55. , , , , , .
- 1991. Evaluation of fermentative bacteria in a model low salt cucumber juice brine. J Food Sci 56:462–5. , , , .
- 1994. Fermentation and sensory characteristics of kimchi containing potassium chloride as a partial replacement for sodium chloride. Int J Food Microbiol 21:335–40. , , , .
- Code of Federal Regulations. 2007. 21 CFR 101, Food labeling. Available at: http://frwebgate3.access.gpo.gov/cgibin/waisgate.cgi?WAISdocID=69469928114+1+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve. Accessed 25 October 2007.
- 2011. Cheeses with reduced sodium content: effects on functionality, public health benefits and sensory properties. Trends Food Sci Technol 22:276–91. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Reducing salt: a challenge for the meat industry. Meat Sci 74:188–96.
- Directive 2002/46/CE of the European Parliament and of the Council of June 2002 on the approximations of the laws of the Member States relating to food supplements. Off J Eur Communities 12.07.2002, L183/51
- 2000. Preliminary results of a new processing in order to obtain green table olives with low sodium content. Ind Aliment XXXIX:844–847. .
- European Commission. 1990. Council Directive 90/496/EEC of 24 September on nutrition labelling for foodstuffs. Off J Eur Communities 276:40–4.
- European Council. 2010. Council conclusions of 8 June on “Action to reduce population salt intake for better health” Adoption of the conclusion. Off J Eur Union 11.11.2010 C305/3-C305–5.
- European Commission. 2012. Commission Regulation (EU) 432/2012 of 16 May 2012 establishing a list of permitted health claims made of foods, other than those referring to the reduction of disease risks and to children's development and health. Off J Eur Union 25.05.2012 L136/1-L136/40.
- 1987. Effects of sodium chloride concentration on the firmness retention of cucumbers fermented and stored with calcium chloride. J Food Sci 52:653–7. , , .
- 2007. The effect of calcium on microbial quality and consistency of chile pepper (Capsicum annuum cv. Mesilla cayenne) mash during fermentation. LWT-Food Sci Technol 408:1482–7. , , .
- 2013. Microbial interactions associated with secondary cucumber fermentation. J Appl Microbiol 144:161–72. , .
- 1997. Table olives. Production and processing. London, UK: Chapman & Hall. , , .
- 1997. Reduction of the sodium content of common foods. What is required – what is possible? Z Ernahrungswiss 36:76–7. , , .
- 1992. Calcium chloride and potassium sorbate reduce sodium chloride used during natural cucumber fermentation and storage. J Food Sci 57:1364–8. , , .
- 1993. Multiresponse optimization minimizes salt in natural cucumber fermentation and storage. J Food Sci 58:1381–9. , .
- 2010. Reducing population salt intake worldwide: from evidence to implementation. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 52:363–82. , .
- 2011. Does reducing salt intake increase cardiovascular mortality? Kidney Int 80:696–8. , , , , .
- 2011. Physico-chemical and sensory properties of reduced-fat mortadella prepared with blends of calcium, magnesium and potassium chloride as partial substitutes for sodium chloride. Meat Sci 89:426–33. , , , .
- 1994. Calcium treatments affect storage quality of shredded carrots. J Food Sci 59:106–9. , .
- 2007. Effects of Leuconostoc mesenteroides starter culture on fermentation of cabbage with reduced salt concentrations. J Food Sci 72:M166–72. , , , .
- 2005. Evaluation of black olives in different brines. Grasas Aceites 56:106–15. , , , .
- 2005. Does dietary recall adequately assess sodium, potassium and calcium intake in hypertensive patients? Nutrition 21:462–6. , , , , .
- 2004. Physicochemical and microbiological profile of packed table olives. J Food Prot 67:2320–5. , , , .
- 1980. Antimicrobial food additives. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- 2009. Fundamental studies on the reduction of salt on dough and bread characteristics. Food Res Int 42:885–91. , , , , .
- 1991. Sensory analysis techniques. Boca Ratón, Fla.: CRC Press. , , .
- Market Research. 2004. Market trends: low sodium foods. Available from: http://www.marketresearch.com/map/prod/1018657.html. Accessed 1 May 2010.
- 2002. Sensory analysis of green table olives fermented in different saline solutions. Acta Hortic 586:617–20. , , , , .
- 2010. Fermentation of cucumbers brined with calcium chloride instead of sodium chloride. J Food Sci 75:C291–6. , .
- 2012. Mineral content and sensory characteristics of Gordal green table olives fermented in chloride salt mixtures. J Food Sci 77:S107–14. , , , .
- 2000. Preliminary results of a new processing in order to obtain green table olives with a low sodium content. Ind Aliment XXXIX:844–7. , , , , .
- 1990. Lactobacillus plantarum and Enterobacter cloacae growth in cucumber extracts containing various salts. J Food Sci 55:1634–7. , , .
- 2002. Osmoregulation and its importance to food-borne microorganisms. Int J Food Microbiol 74:203–16. , .
- 2011. Estimation of salt intake by 24 h urinary sodium excretion in a representative sample of Spanish adults. Brit J Nutr 105:787–94. , , , , , .
- 2011. A study on the implications of NaCl reduction in the fermentation profile of Conservolea natural black olives. Food Microbiol 28:1301–7. , , , .
- 2009. Workers intake too much salt from dishes of eating out and food service cafeterias; direct chemical analysis of sodium content. Nutr Res Pract 3:328–33. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Microbiological study of lactic acid fermentation of Caper berries by molecular and culture-dependent methods. Appl Environ Microbiol 71:7872–9. , , , , , .
- 2006. Sodium in the Finish diet. II trends in dietary sodium intake and comparison between intake and 24h excretion of sodium. Eur J Clin Nutr 60:1160–7. , , , , .
- 2012. Effects of salt mixtures on Spanish green table olive fermentation performance. LWT-Food Sci Technol 46:56–63. , , , , . García-García P.
- 1975. Estimation of water activity in intermediate moisture foods. Food Technol 29:26–30. .
- 2005. Reducing sodium intake from meat products. Meat Sci 70:531–41. , .
- 2001. Prevention of softening in cucumber pickle and determination of applicable amount of calcium chloride (CaCl2). Gida 26:333–8. , .
- 2010a. Influence of NaCl reduction and replacement on the growth of Lactobacillus sakei in broth, cooked ham and white sauce. Int J Food Microbiol 143:9–16. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010b. Effect of NaCl reduction and replacement on the growth of fungi important to the spoilage of bread. Food Microbiol 27:749–56. , , , , .
- 2003. Descriptive analysis. In: Sensory analysis. Caballero B, Trugo LC, Finglas P, editors. Encyclopedia of food sciences and nutrition. London: Academic Press. , .
- 2002. Microbiological and physicochemical changes of naturally black olives fermented at different temperatures and NaCl. Food Microbiol 19:605–15. , , .
- 2007. Effect of calcium chloride on mechanical properties and microbiological characteristics of cv. Conservolea naturally black olives fermented at different sodium chloride levels. J Sci Food Agr 87:1323–31. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Reduced dietary salt for the prevention of cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (Cochrane review). Am J Hypertens 24:843–53. , , , , .
- 2004. Application of central composite design and response surface methodology to the fermentation of olive juice by Lactobacillus plantarum and Debaryomyces hansenii. Int J Food Microbiol 95:157–68. , .
- U.S. Dept. of Agriculture and U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. 2010. Dietary guidelines for Americans. 7th ed. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- USDA. 2012. National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. Release 25. Software v 1.2 11-11-2012.
- 2003. Impact of low salt concentration, salt quality on natural large-scale sauerkraut fermentation. Food Microbiol 20:391–5. , , .
- 2012. Sodium, blood pressure, and cardiovascular disease: further evidence supporting the American Heart Association sodium reduction recommendations. Circulation 126:2880–9. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Production of fermented cucumbers and turnips with reduced levels of sodium chloride. Trop Sci 39:233–7. , , , .
- 2006. Effects of salts and preheating temperature on the texture of pickled cucumbers. J Food Sci 71:C97–101. , , , .