R: CONCISE REVIEWS/HYPOTHESES IN FOOD SCIENCE
Food Security and Cardioprotection: The Polar Lipid Link
Article first published online: 19 AUG 2013
© 2013 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 78, Issue 8, pages R1101–R1104, August 2013
How to Cite
Zabetakis, I. (2013), Food Security and Cardioprotection: The Polar Lipid Link. Journal of Food Science, 78: R1101–R1104. doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.12194
- Issue published online: 19 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 19 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 31 JAN 2013
- 1998. Fish consumption and risk of sudden cardiac death. JAMA 279:23–8. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Effect of traditional Greek mediterranean meals on platelet aggregation in normal subjects and in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Med Food 9:356–62. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Platelet-activating factor (PAF) antagonists in foods. A study of lipids, with PAF or anti-PAF like-activity, in cow's milk and yoghurt. J Agric Food Chem 44:3047–51. , , , .
- 2012. Marine omega-3 fatty acids and coronary heart disease. Curr Opin Cardiol 27:412–9. , .
- 2003. Platelet activating factor – a molecular link between atherosclerosis theories. Eur J Lipid Sci Technol 105:705–16. The animation of the proposed mechanism is available from: http://www.chem.uoa.gr/research/PAF_mechanism.htm (accessed on May 14, 2013). , , .
- 1979. Platelet-activating factor. Evidence for 1-O-alkyl-2-acetyl-sn-glyceryl-3-phosphorylcholine as the active component (a new class of lipid chemical mediators). J Biol Chem 254:9355–8. , , .
- FAO. 1996. World food summit retrieved 2006, November 1, from http://www.fao.org/wfs/index_en.htm (accessed on May 14, 2013).
- 2002. Biologically active lipids with antiatherogenic properties from white wine and must. J Agric Food Chem 50:2684–94. , , .
- 2012. Mediterranean wild plants reduce postprandial platelet aggregation in patients with metabolic syndrome. Metabolism 61:325–34. , , , , , .
- 2012. The modification of plant oil composition via metabolic engineering – better nutrition by design. Plant Biotechnol J 2012:1–12. , , , , , .
- 2004. Accumulated evidence on fish consumption and coronary heart disease mortality: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. Circulation 109:2705–11. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Glyphosate in northern ecosystems. Trends Plant Sci 17:569–74. , , .
- 2012. Intake of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and risk of ovarian cancer. Cancer Cause Control 23:1775–83. , , , .
- 2013. Synergistic effects between pesticide stress and predator cues: conflicting results from life history and physiology in the damselfly Enallagma cyathigerum. Aquat Toxicol 132–133:92–9. , .
- 2006a. In vivo antiatherogenic properties of olive oil and its constituent lipid classes in hyperlipidemic rabbits. Nutr Metab Cardiovas 16:174–85. , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. Effect of fast-food Mediterranean-type diet on type 2 diabetics and healthy human subjects’ platelet aggregation. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 72:33–41. , , , , , .
- 2003. Antiatherogenic properties of lipid minor constituents from seed oils. J Sci Food Agric 83:1192–204. , , , .
- 1984. The Seven Countries Study: 2,289 deaths in 15 years. Prev Med 13:141–54. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Omega-3 supplementation lowers inflammation in healthy middle-aged and older adults: a randomized controlled trial. Brain Behav Immun 26:988–95. , , , , , .
- 2005. A quantitative analysis of fish consumption and coronary heart disease mortality. Am J Prev Med 29:335–46. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Health effects of dietary phospholipids. Lipids Health Dis 11:3. , , , .
- 2013. Cognitive enhancement by omega-3 fatty acids from child-hood to old age: findings from animal and clinical studies (review). Neuropharmacology 64:550–65. , .
- 1997. Interactions between dietary fat, fish, and fish oils and their effects on platelet function in men at risk of cardiovascular disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17:279–86. , , , , .
- 2010. In vivo anti-atherogenic properties of cultured gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata) polar lipid extracts in hypercholesterolaemic rabbits. Food Chem 120:831–6. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Comparison of antiatherogenic properties of lipids obtained from wild and cultured sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) and gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata). Food Chem 100:560–7. , , , .
- 2011. Effects of olive pomace and olive pomace oil on growth performance, fatty acid composition and cardio protective properties of gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata) and sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax). Food Chem 129:1108–13. , , , .
- 2012. Benefits of fish oil replacement by plant originated oils in compounded fish feeds. A review. LWT Food Sci Technol 47:217–24. , .
- NHS Choices. Fish and shellfish. NHS Live Well. 2011. Available from: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/fish-shellfish.aspx (accessed May 14, 2013).
- 2006. Antiatherogenic properties of lipid fractions of raw and fried fish. Food Chem 96:29–35. , , , , .
- 1997. Identification and study of gangliosides from Scomber scombrus muscles. J Agric Food Chem 45:611–5. , , .
- 2012. Association between omega-3 fatty acid supplementation and risk of major cardiovascular disease events. A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 308:1024–33. , , , , .
- 2012. Executive summary: heart disease and stroke statistics – 2012 update. Circulation 125:188–97. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. The pathogenesis of atherosclerosis: a perspective for 1990s. Nature 362:801–9. .
- 2013. Glyphosates's suppression of cytochrome P450 enzymes and amino acid biosynthesis by the gut mictobiome: pathways to modern diseases. Entropy 15:1416–63. , .
- 2010. Cardiovascular effects of marine omega-3 fatty acids. Lancet 376:540–50. , , , .
- 2012. Fish oil – how does it reduce plasma triglycerides? Biochim Biophys Acta 1821:843–51. , , .
- 2006. Cytokine-induced monocyte adhesion to endothelial cells involves platelet-activating factor: suppression by conjugated linoleic acid. Biochim Biophys Acta 1761:793–801. , , , .
- 2007. Antithrombotic and antiatherosclerotic properties of olive oil and olive pomace polar extracts in rabbits. Mediators Inflamm 2007 (doi:10.1155/2007/36204). , , , , , , .
- 2010. Atherosclerosis regression in rabbits upon olive pomace polar lipid extract administration. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc 2010:740–7. , , , , , , , .
- USDA (US Department of Agriculture, National Nutrition Database for Standard Reference). 2012. Release 25. Available from: http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=8964 (accessed May 14, 2013).
- 1991. Docosahexaenoic acid inhibits PAF and LTD4 stimulated [Ca2+]i-increase in differentiated monocytic U937 cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 1133:38–45. , , , , .
- 2004. Meta-analysis of observational studies on fish intake and coronary heart disease. Am J Cardiol 93:1119–23. , , , .
- 2013. Toxic and genotoxic effects of roundup on tadpoles of the Indian skittering from (Euflictis cyanophlyctis) in the presence and absence of predator stress. Aquat Toxicol 132–133:1–8. , , , , ,
- 2013. The prevention of atherosclerosis by food components: polar lipids VS omega-3 PUFAs. Commentary. http://www.athero.org/commentaries/comm1119.asp (accessed May 14, 2013). , , .