Higher energy prices are associated with diminished resources, performance and safety in Australian ambulance systems
Article first published online: 5 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. ANZJPH © 2013 Public Health Association of Australia
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Volume 37, Issue 1, pages 83–89, February 2013
How to Cite
Brown, L. H., Chaiechi, T., Buettner, P. G., Canyon, D. V., Crawford, J. M. and Judd, J. (2013), Higher energy prices are associated with diminished resources, performance and safety in Australian ambulance systems. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 37: 83–89. doi: 10.1111/1753-6405.12015
- Issue published online: 5 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 5 FEB 2013
- Submitted: March 2012 Revision requested: July 2012 Accepted: August 2012
- 1Energy contingency planning for health facilities: Conference report. Public Health Rep. 1980;95:58–61.
- 3Energy and public health: The challenge of peak petroleum. Public Health Rep. 2009;134:5–19., ,
- 5Petroleum and health care. Evaluating and managing health care's vulnerability to petroleum supply shifts. Am J Public Health. 2011;101:1568–79., , ,
- 6Public health and medicine in an age of energy scarcity: the case of petroleum. Am J Public Health. 2011;101:1560–7., , ,
- 8Peak oil and health in low- and middle-income countries: impacts and potential responses. Am J Public Health. 2011;101:1607–14.,
- 9Framing peak petroleum as a public health problem: audience research and participatory engagement in the United States. Am J Public Health. 2011;101:1620–6., ,
- 10Council of Ambulance Authorities. 2009–2010 Annual Report [Internet]. Findon ( AUST ) : CAA; 2010. [cited 2011 May 26]. Available from: http://www.caa.net.au.
- 11BBC News Berkshire. Ambulance service's budget pressure over diesel price. BBC News. 2011 Feb 17 [cited 2011 Feb 18]. Available from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-12494388.
- 12W. Va. Ambulance fuel costs over budget. Charleston [W.Va.] Daily Mail. 2011 Apr 9 [cited 2011 Jul 25]. Available from: http://www.ems1.com.
- 13Air ambulance company rebounds from tragedies, high fuel prices [Internet]. Investor's Business Daily. 2009 Sep 18 [cited 2010 Dec 7]. Available from: http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article.aspx?id=506506.
- 14No more fuel for emergency vehicles [Internet]. WAAY Television News. 2011 Mar 7 [cited 2011 Mar 14]. Available from: http://www.waaytv.com/news.
- 15Rising fuel prices add millions to services costs [Internet]. The Vancouver [BC] Sun. 2008 July 8 [cited 2010 Sep 23]. Available from: http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news.
- 17Australian Institute of Petroleum. Terminal Gate Prices (TGPs): Historical Averages for Petrol and Diesel [Internet]. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIP; 2011 [cited 2011 May 24]. Available from: http://www.aip.com.au/pricing/tgp.htm.
- 18Australian Energy Market Operator. Average Price Tables [Internet]. Melbourne ( AUST ) : AEMO; 2011 [cited 2011 May 24]. Available from: http://www.aemo.com.au.
- 19U.S. Energy Information Administration. World Crude Oil Prices [Internet]. Washington ( DC ) : EIA; 2011 [cited 2011 May 25]. Available from: http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_wco_k_w.htm.
- 20Australian Tax Office. Foreign Exchange Rates [Internet]. Canberra ( AUST ) : ATO: 2011 [cited 2011 May 25]. Available from: http://www.ato.gov.au.
- 21Analyzing Panel Data. Beverly Hills ( CA ) : Sage Publications; 1979.
- 22Analysis of Panel Data. Cambridge ( UK ) : Cambridge University Press; 1986.
- 23Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis for Epidemiology. Cambridge ( UK ) : Cambridge University Press; 2003.
- 26Australian Bureau of Statistics. Consumer Price Index, Australia, Dec 2011 [Internet]. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2012 [cited 2012 Jan 27]. Available from: http://www.abs.gov.au.
- 28Emergency medical services response time and mortality in an urban setting. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2012;16:142–51., , , , , , et al.
- 32Association between poor sleep, fatigue, and safety outcomes in emergency medical services providers. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2012;16:86–97., , , , , , et al.
- 33What is behind the increase in oil prices? Analyzing oil consumption and supply relationship with oil price. Energy. 2010;35:4126–41., , ,
- 34Trends in world energy prices. Energy Econ. 2010;32:1147–56.,
- 35Oil and macroeconomy since World War II. J Polit Econ, 1983;91(2):228–48.