Active travel to work in New South Wales 2005–2010, individual characteristics and association with body mass index
Article first published online: 5 SEP 2013
© 2014 The Authors. ANZJPH © 2014 Public Health Association of Australia
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Volume 38, Issue 1, pages 25–29, February 2014
How to Cite
Rissel, C., Greenaway, M., Bauman, A. and Wen, L. M. (2014), Active travel to work in New South Wales 2005–2010, individual characteristics and association with body mass index. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 38: 25–29. doi: 10.1111/1753-6405.12097
- Issue published online: 4 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 5 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 NOV 2012
- 4The health risks and benefits of cycling in urban environments compared with car use: health impact assessment study. BMJ. 2011;d4521. doi: 10.1136/bmj.d4521., , , .
- 6PricewaterhouseCoopers. A Walking Strategy for NSW – Assessing the Economic Benefits of Walking. Sydney (AUST): New South Wales Premier's Council for Active Living; 2011.
- 7New South Wales Raods and Traffic Authority. New South Wales BikePlan. RTA Publication No.: 10.133. Sydney (AUST): New South Wales Premier's Council of Active Living; 2010.
- 8Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australia's Health 2010. Australia's Health Series No. 12. Sydney (AUST): AIHW; 2010.
- 11Active travel in Germany and the US. Contributions of daily walking and cycling to physical activity. Am J Prev Med. 2011; 41(3): 241–50., , , .
- 14Australian Sports Commission. Exercise, Recreation and Sport Survey (ERASS) Past Reports [Internet]. Canberra (AUST): Commonwealth of Australia; 2011 [cited 2011 Jul 5]. Available from: http://www.ausport.gov.au/information/casro/ERASS
- 17GAMUT Papers: Travel to Work in Australian Capital Cities, 1976–2006: An Analysis of Census Data [Internet]. Melbourne (AUST): University of Melbourne, Australasian Centre for the Governance and Management of Public Transport; 2007 [cited 2011 Oct]. Available from: http://www.abp.unimelb.edu.au/files/miabp/2GAMUT2007_DEC_02.pdf, , .
- 18ATRF 04: Unsustainable Trends in the Australian Census Data for the Journey to Work in Melbourne and Other Cities in Victoria. Proceedings of the 27th Australasian Transport Research Forum, Volume 27; 2004 Sep 29–Oct 1; Adelaide, Aust. Adelaide: University of South Australia, Transport Systems Centre; 2004..
- 19Cycling to Work in Sydney: Analysis of Journey-to-work Census Data from 2001 and 2006. Liverpool (AUST): Sydney South West Area Health Service, Health Promotion Service; 2008., .
- 22NSW Population Health Survey: Description of Methods [Internet]. Sydney (AUST): New South Wales Department of Health, New South Wales Health Survey Program, Centre for Epidemiology and Research; 2008 [cited 2013 Jan 24]. Available from: http://www0.health.nsw.gov.au/resources/publichealth/surveys/health_survey_methods.pdf, , , .
- 23NSW Ministry of Health. New South Wales Population Health Survey [Internet]. Sydney (AUST): New South Wales Department of Health; 2012 [cited 2012 Mar 15]. Available from: http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/publichealth/surveys/phs.asp
- 24R Development Core Team. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna (AUT): R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2011.
- 25Bicycle commuting and facilities in major u.s. cities: if you build them, commuters will use them. Transp Res Rec. 2003; 1828: 116–23., .
- 27City of Sydney. Bike Riding Booms Around Sydney's New Cycleways [Internet]. Sydney (AUST): State Government of Sydney; 2011 [cited 2011 Mar 29]. Available from: http://www.sydneymedia.com.au/html/4571-bike-riding-booms-around-sydneys-new-cycleways.asp
- 28Cycling to Work in Sydney: Analysis of Journey-to-work Census Data from 2001 to 2011. Camperdown (AUST): University of Sydney, Prevention Research Collaboration; 2012., , .
- 29Analysis and Synthesis of Evidence on the Effects of Investment in Six Cycling Demonstration Towns. London (UK): Department for Transport and Cycling England; 2009., , , , .
- 30Transport Data Centre. Cycling in Sydney- Bicycle Ownership and Use. Sydney (AUST): New South Wales Road Traffic Authority; 2008.
- 31All dressed up and no-where to go? A qualitative research study of the barriers and enablers to cycling in inner Sydney. Road Transp Res. 2007; 16(4): 42–52., , .
- 34Sitting time and all-cause mortality risk in 222 497 Australian adults. Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172(6): 494–500., , , , .