Statistical methods to enhance reporting of Aboriginal Australians in routine hospital records using data linkage affect estimates of health disparities
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. ANZJPH © 2013 Public Health Association of Australia
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Volume 37, Issue 5, pages 442–449, October 2013
How to Cite
Randall, D. A., Lujic, S., Leyland, A. H. and Jorm, L. R. (2013), Statistical methods to enhance reporting of Aboriginal Australians in routine hospital records using data linkage affect estimates of health disparities. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 37: 442–449. doi: 10.1111/1753-6405.12114
- Issue online: 1 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2013
- Submitted: April 2013 Revision requested: April 2013 Accepted: June 2013
- 1Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The Health and Welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, 2008. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 2008.
- 2Australian Bureau of Statistics. Information Paper: Census Data Enhancement –Indigenous Mortality Quality Study. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2008.
- 3Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Indigenous Identification in Hospital Separations Data – Quality Report. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 2010.
- 4Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Improving the Quality of Indigenous Identification in Hospital Separations Data. Canberra ( AUST ) : AIHW; 2005.
- 5Measuring the gap: Accuracy of the Western Australian hospital morbidity data in the identification of adult urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2009;33(3):276–9., , , , .
- 6Indigenous Identification in Administrative Data Collections and the Implications for Reporting Indigenous Health Status. Technical Report No.: 3. Brisbane ( AUST ) : Queensland Health Health Statistics Centre; 2009 April., , .
- 17Population and Public Health Division. Improved Reporting of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples on Population Datasets in New South Wales using Record Linkage – A Feasibility Study. Sydney ( AUST ) : New South Wales Ministry of Health; 2012.
- 22Centre for Health Record Linkage. How Record Linkage Works. Sydney ( AUST ) : CHeREL; 2011 [cited 2012 Jul 17]. Available from: http://www.cherel.org.au/how-record-linkage-works.
- 23Australian Bureau of Statistics. Experimental Estimates and Projections, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 1991 to 2021. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2009.
- 24Australian Bureau of Statistics. Population by Age and Sex, Australian States and Territories. . Estimated Resident Population by Single Year of Age, New South WalesTable 1. Canberra ( AUST ) : ABS; 2010.
- 25MLwiN [software]. Version 2.24. Bristol ( UK ) : University of Bristol Centre for Multilevel Modelling; 2011., , , , .
- 26Multilevel Analysis. 2nd ed. London ( UK ) : Sage; 2012., .
- 27SAS: statistical software [computer program]. Version 9.2. Cary ( NC ) : SAS Institute; 2007.
- 28Appendix 3: Estimating Māori Hospitalisations and Cancer Registrations. In: Robson B, Harris R, editors. Hauora: Māori Standards of Health IV A Study of the Years 2000–2005. Wellington ( NZ ) : Te Rōpū Rangahau Hauora a Eru Pōmare; 2007. p. 249–59., , , , , .