The authors have stated they have no conflict of interest.
Socioeconomic Status and Health
Poor health and social outcomes for ex-prisoners with a history of mental disorder: a longitudinal study
Version of Record online: 24 JUN 2014
© 2014 Public Health Association of Australia
Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
Special Issue: The Ebola crisis – is Australia prepared?
Volume 38, Issue 5, pages 424–429, October 2014
How to Cite
Cutcher, Z., Degenhardt, L., Alati, R. and Kinner, S. A. (2014), Poor health and social outcomes for ex-prisoners with a history of mental disorder: a longitudinal study. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 38: 424–429. doi: 10.1111/1753-6405.12207
- Issue online: 30 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 24 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 AUG 2013
- 2Mental disorders in Australian prisoners: a comparison with a community sample. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2006; 40(8): 270–5., , , , , .
- 5Returning Home: Understanding the Challenges of Prisoner Reentry, Maryland Pilot Study: Findings from Baltimore. Washington (DC): Urban Institute; 2004., , .
- 12Variables Affecting Successful Reintegration as Perceived by Offenders and Professionals. J Offender Rehab. 2004; 40: 147–71., , , .
- 14Beyond reintegration: a framework for understanding ex-prisoner health. Int J Prisoner Health. 2011; 7: 26–36., , , .
- 15Australian prisoners’ post-release housing. Curr Issues Crim Justice. 2003; 15: 155–69., , , .
- 18Health and Prisoner Reentry: How Physical, Mental and Substance Abuse Conditions Shape the Process of Reintegration. Washington (DC): Urban Institute; 2008., .
- 25Development of an intervention to increase health service utilisation in ex-prisoners. Health Justice. Unpublished observations., , , , .
- 26Australian Bureau of Statistics. 4363.0.55.001 – National Health Survey: Users’ Guide – Electronic Publication 2007–08 [Internet]. Canberra (AUST): ABS; 2009 [cited 2013 Mar 19]. Available from: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs0040.nsf/DetailsPage/4363.0.55.0012007-08
- 27Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The Health of Australia's Prisoners 2010. Canberra (AUST): AIHW; 2011.
- 29The Opiate Treatment Index (OTI) Manual. Sydney (AUST): University of New South Wales National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre; 1991., , , , .
- 31How to Score and Interpret Single-Item Health Status Measures: A Manual for Users of the SF-8 health Survey. Lincoln (RI): QualityMetric; 2001., , , .
- 32AUDIT: The Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test, Guidelines for Use in Primary Care. 2nd ed.Geneva (CHE): World Health Organisation; 2001., , , .
- 34How to Score Version Two of the SF-36 Health Survey. Lincoln (RI): QualityMetric; 2000., , .
- 40Continuity of health impairment and substance misuse among adult prisoners in Queensland, Australia. Int J Prisoner Health. 2006; 2(2): 101–13..
- 41World Health Organisation. Trencin Statement on Prisons and Mental Health. Copenhagen (DNK): WHO Regional Office for Europe; 2008.
- 42Australian Medical Association. Position Statement on Health and the Criminal Justice System. Canberra (AUST): AMA; 2012.
- 43Prisoner health care provision: Reflections from Australia. Int J Prisoner Health. 2005; 1(1): 65–73..