These authors contributed equally and are first co-authors.
Risk of tuberculosis with anti-tumor necrosis factor-α therapy: substantially higher number of patients at risk in Asia
Article first published online: 16 OCT 2013
© 2013 Asia Pacific League of Associations for Rheumatology and Wiley Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases
Volume 17, Issue 3, pages 291–298, March 2014
How to Cite
Navarra, S. V., Tang, B., Lu, L., Lin, H.-Y., Mok, C. C., Asavatanabodee, P., Suwannalai, P., Hussein, H. and Rahman, M. U. (2014), Risk of tuberculosis with anti-tumor necrosis factor-α therapy: substantially higher number of patients at risk in Asia. International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases, 17: 291–298. doi: 10.1111/1756-185X.12188
- Issue published online: 25 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 16 OCT 2013
- Pfizer Inc
- 42006) Rates of serious infection, including site-specific and bacterial intracellular infection, in rheumatoid arthritis patients receiving anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy: results from the British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register. Arthritis Rheum 54, 2368–76., , et al. (
- 6BIOBADASER Group (2003) Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with tumor necrosis factor inhibitors may predispose to significant increase in tuberculosis risk: a multicenter active-surveillance report. Arthritis Rheum 48, 2122–7., , , , ,
- 13Incidence of tuberculosis (per 100,000 people). The World Bank Group Web site. [Accessed 23 March 2012.] Available from URL: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.TBS.INCD.
- 14Tuberculosis factsheet (No. 104). World Health Organization Web site. [Accessed 23 March 2012.] Available from URL: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs104/en/.
- 152009) Risk of tuberculosis is higher with anti-tumor necrosis factor monoclonal antibody therapy than with soluble tumor necrosis factor receptor therapy: the three-year prospective French Research Axed on Tolerance of Biotherapies registry. Arthritis Rheum 60, 1884–94., , et al. (
- 16Taiwan Tuberculosis Control Report 2009. Center for Disease Control Taiwan Web site. [Accessed 30 April 2012.] Available from URL: http://www.cdc.gov.tw/uploads/files/cd38b0db-50f5–40ff-abfe-fd11902c1f0b.pdf.
- 172006) The safety of infliximab, combined with background treatments, among patients with rheumatoid arthritis and various comorbidities: a large, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum 54, 1075–86., , et al. (
- 192013) Comprehensive tuberculosis screening program in patients with inflammatory arthritides treated with golimumab, a human anti-tumor necrosis factor antibody, in phase III clinical trials. Arthritis Care Res 65, 309–13., , et al. (
- 202007) Tuberculosis in Japanese patients with rheumatoid arthritis treated with infliximab: findings from the post marketing surveillance trial. Ann Rheum Dis 66 (Suppl 2), 167., , et al. (
- 222008) Effectiveness of the combination of a whole-blood interferon-gamma assay and the tuberculin skin test in detecting latent tuberculosis infection in rheumatoid arthritis patients receiving adalimumab therapy. Arthritis Rheum 59, 800–6., , , , (
- 392012) 2012 update of the 2008 American College of Rheumatology recommendations for the use of disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs and biologic agents in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res 64, 625–39., , et al. (