The authors would like to thank Alice Howe, Sandie Pitter and Halena Townsend of Lake Macquarie City Council for kindly assisting them by providing valuable insights and documentary material.
Local Co-Governance and Environmental Sustainability in New South Wales Local Government: The Lake Macquarie City Council Sustainable Neighbourhoods Program†
Article first published online: 21 APR 2014
© 2014 The Economic Society of Australia
Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy
Volume 33, Issue 1, pages 36–44, March 2014
How to Cite
Dollery, B., Kortt, M. A. and O'Keefe, S. (2014), Local Co-Governance and Environmental Sustainability in New South Wales Local Government: The Lake Macquarie City Council Sustainable Neighbourhoods Program. Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy, 33: 36–44. doi: 10.1111/1759-3441.12065
- Issue published online: 21 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 21 APR 2014
- 2009), Governing Sustainability, Cambridge University Press, London. and (eds) (
- 2007), ‘Beyond Engagement and Participation – User and Community Co-Production of Public Services’, Public Administration Review, 67 (5), 846–60. (
- 1988), ‘Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital’, American Journal of Sociology, 94 (1), 95–120. (
- 2011a), ‘Love Thy Neighbour: A Social Capital Approach to Local Government Partnerships’, Australian Journal of Public Administration, 70, 156–66. , and (
- 2011b), ‘The Local Capacity, Local Community and Local Governance Dimensions of Sustainability in Australian Local Government’, Commonwealth Journal of Local Governance, (8/9), Available at: http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/index.php/cjlg/article/view/2423/2654. , and (
- 2012), Councils in Cooperation: Shared Services and Australian Local Government. Federation Press, Sydney. , and (
- 2013a), ‘A Cautionary Tale: Council Amalgamation in Tasmania and the Deloitte Access Economics Report’, Australian Journal of Public Administration, 72 (1), 55–65. , and (
- 2013b), ‘Economies of Scale and Local Government Expenditure: Evidence from Australia’, Administration and Society, (in print). , and (
- 2010), Emerald Cities: Urban Sustainability and Economic Development. Oxford University Press, New York. (
- Independent Local Government Review Panel (2012), Better, Stronger Local Government: The Case for Sustainable Change. Independent Local Government Review Panel, Sydney.
- 2000), ‘Governance Failure’, in Stoker, G. (ed.), The New Politics of British Local Governance. St. Martin Press, London; 11–32. (
- 2009), Sustainable Development for Public Administration. M.E Sharpe, New York. and (
- 2008), ‘How low can you go? Rationales and challenges for neighbourhood governance’, Public Administration, 86 (1), 53–74. and (
- LMCC [Lake Macquarie City Council] (2011), Sustainable Neighbourhoods Program. Lake Macquarie City Council, Lake Macquarie City, NSW.
- LMCC [Lake Macquarie City Council] (2012), Sustainable Neighbourhoods Community Resource Toolkit. Lake Macquarie City Council, NSW.
- 2003), ‘Modelling the Challenge of Changing Institutional Relationships between Government and the Voluntary Sector in the UK’, Asian Journal of Public Administration, 25 (1), 5–30. and (
- 2004), ‘The Cross-Cutting Review of the Voluntary Sector: Where Next for Local Government– Voluntary Sector Relationships’, Regional Studies, 38 (5), 571–80. and (
- 1999), ‘Crossing the Great Divide: Coproduction, Synergy, and Development’, in McGinnis, M. (ed.), Polycentric Governance and Development: Readings from the Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis. University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, MI. (
- 1998), Beyond the Market and State: Social Enterprises and Civil Democracy in a Welfare Society. Ashagate, Aldershot. (
- 2007), Co-Production: The Third Sector and the Delivery of Public Services. Routledge, London. and (
- 2010), ‘Harnessing Community Energy: The Keys to Climate Mitigation Policy Adoption in US Municipalities’, Local Environment, 15, 717–29. (
- 2010), ‘Participation and the Pursuit of Sustainability in U.S. Cities’, Urban Affairs Review, 46, 119–39. and (
- 2010), ‘The Local Nonprofit Sector and the Pursuit of Sustainability in American Cities: A Preliminary Exploration’, Local Environment, 15, 323–39. and (
- 1993), Making Democracy Work: Civic Traditions in Modern Italy. Princeton University Press, Princeton. (
- 2000), ‘Sustainability and Public Management Reform: Two Challenges for Mexican Environmental Policy’, American Review of Public Administration, 30 (4), 389–99. (
- 1995), The Political Anatomy of “Sustainable Development. Wuppertal Papers, Wuppertal. (
- 2011), Sustainability in America's Cities: Creating the Green Metropolis. Island Press, Washington. (
- 2008), ‘Prospects for Local Co-Governance’, Local Government Studies, 34 (1), 61–79. and (
- World Commission on Environment and Development (‘Brundtland Commission’) (1987), Our Common Future. Oxford University Press, London.
- 2014), ‘International Connections for Local Government Sustainability Initiatives: Networks Linking Detroit and Windsor’, Journal of Urban Affairs, 36 (1), 119–40. (