The Ian Wilson Foundation provided funding through the University of Adelaide. This is a drastic revision of a paper given at Australian Conference of Economists 2012, Melbourne, Victoria, July 8–12, 2012. Thanks but no blame goes to conference participants, especially John Freebairn, and to anonymous referees, Jeff Sheen (as managing editor) and Mark Harrison.
Have Mining Royalties Been Beneficial to Australia?†
Article first published online: 21 APR 2014
© 2014 The Economic Society of Australia
Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy
Volume 33, Issue 1, pages 13–28, March 2014
How to Cite
Ergas, H. and Pincus, J. (2014), Have Mining Royalties Been Beneficial to Australia?. Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy, 33: 13–28. doi: 10.1111/1759-3441.12068
- Issue published online: 21 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 21 APR 2014
- University of Adelaide
- 2010), Statement [in favour of a resource rent tax to replace royalties]. Available at: johnquiggin.com/2010/05/26/resource-rent-tax-statement/. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2009-10a), ‘Year Book Australia, 2009–10’, Cat. 1301.0. Available at: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/1301.0main%20features12009-10.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2009-10b), ‘Mining Operations 2004–05’, Cat. 8415.0. Available at: http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/subscriber.nsf/0/22B1A02F82888351CA257213001A2F39/$File/84150_2004-05.pdf.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2014), ‘Mining Operations, Australia 2011–12’, Cat. 8415.0. Available at: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/8415.02011-12?OpenDocument
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2012), ‘Australian System of National Accounts: Concepts, Sources and Methods’, Cat. 5216.0. Available at: http://www.abs.gov.au/AusStats/ABS@.nsf/MF/5216.0.
- Australian Tax Office (2008), ‘Taxation Statistics, 2007–08’, Available at: http://www.ato.gov.au/content/00225078.htm.
- Commonwealth Grants Commission (2010), ‘Report on GST Revenue Sharing Relativities–2010 Review’, Available at: http://www.cgc.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/18396/Chapter_08_-_Mining_revenue.pdf.
- Commonwealth Grants Commission (2011), ‘Report on GST Revenue Sharing Relativities–2011 Update’, Available at: http://www.cgc.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/21758/2011_Update_final_report.pdf.
- Commonwealth of Australia, Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (2010), ‘The Resource Super Profits Tax. A Fair Return to the Nation’, Available at: http://www.deewr.gov.au/Department/Documents/Files/Announcement%20document.pdf.
- Commonwealth of Australia, Department of Treasury (2010), ‘Australia's Future Tax System. Report to the Treasurer’, December 2009, Available at: http://taxreview.treasury.gov.au/content/Content.aspx?doc=html/pubs_reports.htm.
- 2011), ‘The Mining Industry: From Boom to Bust’, in Gerard, H. and Kearns, J. (eds), The Australian Economy in the 2000s, Proceedings of a Conference, Reserve Bank of Australia, Sydney; 111–56. and (
- 2003), ‘The Excess Burden of Taxation and Why it (Approximately) Quadruples When the Tax Rate Doubles’, New Zealand Treasury Working Paper 03/29, December, Available at: http://www.treasury.govt.nz/publications/research-policy/wp/2003/03-29/twp03-29.pdf. (
- 1979), Economic Theory and Exhaustible Resources. James Nisbet and Co. Ltd./Cambridge University Press, Welwyn, Herts./Cambridge. and (
- 2010), ‘Some Economics of Mining Taxes’, Economic Papers, 29 (4), 369–83. , and (
- 1992), ‘The Time Path of Scarcity Rents in the Theory of Exhaustible Resources’, Economic Journal, 102 (413), 813–30. (
- 2011), ‘Living Standards, Terms of Trade and Foreign Ownership: Reflections on the Australian Mining Boom’, Discussion Paper No. 656, Centre for Economic Policy Research, The Australian National University, Available at: http://cbe.anu.edu.au/research/papers/ceprdpapers/DP656.pdf. (
- 1974) ‘A Dynamic Input-Output System for Analyzing Price Changes’, Working Paper No. 23, Department of Economics, Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University. and (
- 1931), ‘The Economics of Exhaustible Resources’, Journal of Political Economy, 39 (2), 137–75. (
- Independent Economics (2012), ‘Horizontal Fiscal Equalisation: Modelling the welfare and efficiency effects’, South Australian Department of Treasury and Finance, Available at: http://www.independenteconomics.com.au/information/Reports/Modelling%20Horizontal%20Fiscal%20Equalisation_final.pdf
- KPMG Econtech (2010a), ‘CGE Analysis of the Current Australian Tax System. Final Report’, Available at: http://taxreview.treasury.gov.au/content/html/commissioned_work/downloads/KPMG_Econtech_Efficiency%20of%20Taxes_Final_Report.pdf.
- KPMG Econtech (2010b), ‘The Treasury: CGE Analysis of Part of the Government's AFTRS Response’, Available at: http://www.kpmg.com.au/Portals/0/KPMGEcontech-Report-CGE-Analysis-of-part-of-Governments-AFTS-Response.pdf.
- 2007), ‘100 years of tariff protection in Australia’, Research Paper 1023, Department of Economics, The University of Melbourne. (
- Minerals Council of Australia (2011), ‘Submission to the House of Representatives Economics Committee, Mineral Resource Rent Tax Bill 2011 and related bills’, Available at: http://www.mineralscouncil.com.au/file_upload/files/submissions/House_Committee_Submission_8_Nov_FINAL.pdf.
- 2012), ‘Australia's Productivity Growth Slump; Sign of Crisis, Adjustment or Both?’, Visiting Researcher Paper, Productivity Commission, Canberra. (
- 2012), ‘The Treasury-KPMG Econtech Modelling of the Excess Burden of Mining Taxation: Some Doubts’, Agenda, 19 (2), 23–38. (
- 2010), ‘Charging for Non-renewable Resource Depletion’ or ‘Slimming the Goose: Less Foie Gras but More Golden Eggs?’, Paper prepared for the conference: Australia's Future Tax System: A Post-Henry Review, Sydney, 21–3. (
- 2011), ‘The Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia, House of Representatives, Explanatory Memorandum for the Mineral Resources Rent Tax’, Available at: http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessionals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00286481.htm. (
- 2012), ‘Econometric estimation of nested production functions and testing in a computable general equilibrium analysis of economy-wide rebound effects’, Stirling Economics Discussion Paper 2012–08. Available at: http://www.stir.ac.uk/management/research/economics/working-papers/. , , and (