Accepted by Katherine Schipper. We sincerely appreciate the comments of Urooj Khan, Tom Linsmeier, Laureen Maines, Steve Salterio, Katherine Schipper, Phil Shane, Wayne Thomas, brownbag-presentation participants at Indiana University, session participants at a 2010 Financial Accounting Standards Research Initiative Roundtable, the 2010 Financial Economics and Accounting Conference, and the 2011 Financial Accounting and Reporting section Midyear Meeting, workshop participants at Washington University in St. Louis and two anonymous reviewers. We also gratefully acknowledge the funding provided by the PricewaterhouseCoopers Corporate Governance Grant and the summer support provided by the Kelley School of Business. Professor Hodder and Professor Hopkins thank Ernst and Young and the Deloitte Foundation, respectively, for their financial support.
The Predictive Ability of Fair Values for Future Financial Performance of Commercial Banks and the Relation of Predictive Ability to Banks' Share Prices†
Article first published online: 21 JAN 2014
Contemporary Accounting Research
Volume 31, Issue 1, pages 13–44, Spring 2014
How to Cite
Evans, M. E., Hodder, L. and Hopkins, P. E. (2014), The Predictive Ability of Fair Values for Future Financial Performance of Commercial Banks and the Relation of Predictive Ability to Banks' Share Prices. Contemporary Accounting Research, 31: 13–44. doi: 10.1111/1911-3846.12028
- Issue published online: 19 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 21 JAN 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 29 JAN 2013 08:58PM EST
- 1999. Revaluations of fixed assets and future firm performance: Evidence from the UK. Journal of Accounting and Economics 26 (1–3): 149–78. , , and .
- 1995. Stock market valuation gains and losses on commercial bank investment securities: An empirical analysis. Journal of Accounting and Economics 20 (2): 207–36. , and .
- 1994. Fair value accounting: Evidence from investment securities and the market valuation of banks. The Accounting Review 69 (1): 1–25.
- 2000. Valuation-based accounting research: Implications for financial reporting and opportunities for future research. Accounting and Finance 40 (1): 7–31.
- 2006. Including estimates of the future in today's financial statements. Accounting Horizons 20 (3): 271–85.
- 2003. Differential pricing of components of bank loan fair values. Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance 18 (1): 41–67. , and .
- 1993. Discussion of an investigation of revaluations of tangible long-lived assets. Journal of Accounting Research 31. (Supplement): 39–45.
- 2009. The subject matter of financial reporting: The conflict between cash conversion cycles and fair value in the measurement of income. Occasional Paper, Center for Excellence in Accounting and Security Analysis. Columbia University.
- 2012. The fair value of cash flow hedges, future profitability and stock returns. Contemporary Accounting Research (forthcoming). Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1441684.
- 2011. Predicting credit losses: Loan fair values versus historical costs. The Accounting Review (forthcoming). Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1807081. , , and .
- 2006. Fair value's affect on accounting's ability to predict future cash flows: a glance back and a look at the potential impact of reaching the goal (September 14). Available at SSRN:http://ssrn.com/abstract=930702. , , and .
- 1998. The relation between earnings and cash flows. Journal of Accounting and Economics 25 (2): 133–68. , , and .
- 2008. Matching and the changing properties of accounting earnings over the last 40 years. The Accounting Review 83 (6): 1425–60. , and .
- 2010. Preserving amortized costs within a fair-value-accounting framework: Reclassification of gains and losses on available-for-sale securities upon realization. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1748626. , , and .
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. 2011. Uniform Bank Performance Report. Available at www.fdic.gov.
- 1994. The ability of earnings to predict future earnings and cash flow. Journal of Accounting Research 32 (2): 210–23.
- Financial Accounting Standards Board. 1991. Disclosures about fair value of financial instruments. Statement of Financial Accounting Standard No. 107. Norwalk, CT: FASB.
- Financial Accounting Standards Board. 2006. Fair value measurements. Statement of Financial Accounting Standard No. 157. Norwalk, CT: FASB.
- Financial Accounting Standards Board. 2010a. Accounting for financial instruments and revisions to the accounting for derivative instruments and hedging activities—financial instruments (Topic 825), and Derivatives and Hedging (Topic 815), in Proposed Accounting Standards Update, File Reference No. 1810–100. Norwalk, CT: FASB.
- Financial Accounting Standards Board. 2010b. Chapter 1, The objective of general purpose financial reporting, and Chapter 3, Qualitative characteristics of useful financial information, in Statement of Financial Accounting Concepts No.8. Norwalk, CT: FASB.
- 2004. Costs of equity and earnings attributes. The Accounting Review 79 (4): 967–1010. , , , and .
- 1976. Bank profitability and bank size. Monthly Economic Review (January): 11–16. Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- 2010. Correcting for cross-sectional and time-series dependence in accounting research. The Accounting Review 85 (2): 483–512. , , and .
- 2001. The relevance of the value-relevance literature for financial accounting standard setting. Journal of Accounting and Economics 31 (1–3): 3–75. , and .
- International Accounting Standards Board. 2010. The Conceptual Framework for Financial Reporting. London: IFRS Foundation.
- 1990. The relation between stock returns and accounting earnings given alternative information. The Accounting Review 65 (1): 49–71.
- 1996. Fair value accounting for commercial banks: An empirical analysis of SFAS No. 107. The Accounting Review 71 (2): 161–82. .
- 1999. Fair value disclosures for investment securities and bank equity: Evidence form SFAS No. 115. Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance 14 (3): 347–70. , , and .
- 1997. Fair value disclosure of debt securities portfolios: Reliable information about future interest income?. Working paper, Indiana University. , and .
- 1999. Discussion of “Fair value disclosures for investment securities and bank equity: Evidence from SFAS No. 115”. Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance 14 (3): 371–77.
- 2007. Financial Instruments and Institutions: Accounting and Disclosure Rules. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Son.
- 1999. Evaluating the reliability of current value estimates. Journal of Accounting and Economics 26 (1–3): 193–200.
- 2010. Value relevance of FAS No. 157 fair value hierarchy information and the impact of corporate governance mechanisms. The Accounting Review 85 (4): 1375–410. , , and .