Presented at the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine annual meeting, Boston, MA, June 2011.
Original Research Contribution
A Risk Scoring System to Identify Emergency Department Patients With Heart Failure at High Risk for Serious Adverse Events
Version of Record online: 13 JAN 2013
© 2013 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 17–26, January 2013
How to Cite
Stiell, I. G., Clement, C. M., Brison, R. J., Rowe, B. H., Borgundvaag, B., Aaron, S. D., Lang, E., Calder, L. A., Perry, J. J., Forster, A. J., Wells, G. A. (2013), A Risk Scoring System to Identify Emergency Department Patients With Heart Failure at High Risk for Serious Adverse Events. Academic Emergency Medicine, 20: 17–26. doi: 10.1111/acem.12056
The authors acknowledge peer-reviewed funding from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (MOP 82742). Dr. Stiell holds a Distinguished Professorship and University Health Research Chair from the University of Ottawa. Dr. Rowe is supported by the 21st Century Canada Research Chairs program through the Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON). Dr. Perry holds a New Investigator Award from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and a Clinical Research Chair from the University of Ottawa. Dr. Aaron holds a Clinical Research Chair from the University of Ottawa. The authors have no further disclosures or conflicts of interest to report.
- Issue online: 13 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 13 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 13 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAY 2012
- 2Ambulatory care visits to physician offices, hospital outpatient departments, and emergency departments: United States, 2001–02. Vital Health Stat 13. 2006; (159):1–66., .
- 4Canadian Government. Statistics Canada. Available at: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/start-debut-eng.html. Accessed Oct 20, 2012.
- 11ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2008: the Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2008 of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed in collaboration with the Heart Failure Association of the ESC (HFA) and endorsed by the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine (ESICM). Eur Heart J. 2008; 29:2388–442., , , et al.
- 13The Task Force on Heart Failure of the European Society of Cardiology. Guidelines for the diagnosis of heart failure. Eur Heart J. 1995; 16:741–51.
- 21The six-minute walk test. Respir Care. 2003; 48:783–5..
- 30Statistical Analysis With Missing Data. 2nd ed. New York, NY: John Wiley and Sons, 2002., .
- 33Bootstrap methods for standard errors, confidence intervals, and other measures of statistical accuracy. Stat Sci. 1986; (1):54–77., .
- 43Primary results of the Rapid Emergency Department Heart Failure Outpatient Trial (REDHOT). A multicenter study of B-type natriuretic peptide levels, emergency department decision making, and outcomes in patients presenting with shortness of breath. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004; 44:1328–33., , , et al.
- 50Potential impact of N-terminal pro-BNP testing on the emergency department evaluation of acute dyspnea. Can J Emerg Med. 2006; 8:251–8., , , .
- 51Should natriuretic peptide testing be incorporated into emergency medicine practice? (Commentary). Can J Emerg Med 2006; 8:259–61..