Presented at the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine annual meeting, Boston, MA, June 2011.
Original Research Contribution
Reducing Blood Culture Contamination in the Emergency Department: An Interrupted Time Series Quality Improvement Study
Article first published online: 13 JAN 2013
© 2013 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 89–97, January 2013
How to Cite
Self, W. H., Speroff, T., Grijalva, C. G., McNaughton, C. D., Ashburn, J., Liu, D., Arbogast, P. G., Russ, S., Storrow, A. B., Talbot, T. R. (2013), Reducing Blood Culture Contamination in the Emergency Department: An Interrupted Time Series Quality Improvement Study. Academic Emergency Medicine, 20: 89–97. doi: 10.1111/acem.12057
Supported by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine / Emergency Medicine Patient Safety Foundation Patient Safety Fellowship Grant; by National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences grant KL2TR000446; by the Vanderbilt University Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA), National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences grant UL1 TR000445; and by the Office of Academic Affiliations, Department of Veterans Affairs, VA National Quality Scholars Program with resources and the use of facilities at VA Tennessee Healthcare System, Nashville, TN.
WHS reports receiving research funding from CareFusion, the makers of Chloraprep, for a subsequent research study that began in August 2011. CareFusion did not fund or participate in the current study. The other authors have no relevant financial information or potential conflicts of interest to disclose.
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 13 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 26 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 MAY 2012
- 9Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Principles and procedures for blood cultures: approved guideline. CLSI document M47-A. Wayne PA: Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, 2007.
- 14Quality by Design: A Clinical Microsystems Approach. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2007., , .
- 16Study designs for PDSA quality improvement research. Q Manage Health Care. 2004; 13:17–32., .
- 20Time Series Analysis: Forecasting and Control, fourth ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2008., , .
- 23Effect of routine sterile gloving on contamination rates in blood culture: A cluster randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2011; 154:145–52., , , et al.