The authors have no relevant financial information or potential conflicts of interest to disclose.
Original Research Contribution
A Regional Survey to Determine Factors Influencing Patient Choices in Selecting a Particular Emergency Department for Care
Version of Record online: 13 JAN 2013
© 2013 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 63–70, January 2013
How to Cite
Grafstein, E., Wilson, D., Stenstrom, R., Jones, C., Tolson, M., Poureslami, I., Scheuermeyer, F. X. (2013), A Regional Survey to Determine Factors Influencing Patient Choices in Selecting a Particular Emergency Department for Care. Academic Emergency Medicine, 20: 63–70. doi: 10.1111/acem.12063
- Issue online: 13 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 13 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 12 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAR 2012
- 1Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians and the National Emergency Nurses Affiliation. Joint position statement: access to acute care in the setting of emergency department overcrowding. CJEM. 2003; 5:81–6.
- 2Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians and National Emergency Nurses Affiliation. Joint position statement on emergency department overcrowding. CJEM. 2001; 3:82–4.
- 3Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians. Position Statement on Emergency Department Overcrowding. Available at: http://www.caep.ca/template.asp?id=37C951DE051A45979A9BDD0C5715C9FE. Accessed Oct 20, 2012.
- 4Frequency, determinants, and impact of overcrowding in Canada: [Technology Report No. 67.3]. Ottawa (ON): Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health, 2006., , , et al.
- 5Institute of Medicine, Committee on the Future of Emergency Care in the United States Health System. Hospital-Based Emergency Care: At the Breaking Point. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2006.
- 20Prolonged emergency department stays of non-ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction patients are associated with worse adherence to the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association guidelines for management and increased adverse events. Ann Emerg Med. 2007; 50:489–96., , , et al.
- 31Canadian Institute for Health Information. Understanding Emergency Department Wait Times: Who Is Using the Emergency Departments and How Long Are They Waiting? Available at: https://secure.cihi.ca/estore/productSeries.htm?pc=PCC289. Accessed Oct 20, 2012.
- 34Complaint Oriented Triage (COT) 2008. Available at: http://caep.ca/sites/default/files/caep/CTAS/cot_2012_english_canada_v02.02.pptx. Accessed Oct 20, 2012., (eds).
- 35National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2003 Emergency Department Summary. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2005, p 358., .
- 36Support for a waiting room time tracker: a survey of patients waiting in an urban ED. J Emerg Med. 2012 May 21 [Epub ahead of print], DOI:10.1016/j.jemermed.2012.02.053., , , , .
- 37The effects of publishing emergency department wait time on patient utilization patterns in a community with two emergency department sites: a retrospective, quasi-experimental design. Int J Emerg Med. 2011; 14:29., .