Presented at The SHARPn Summit on Secondary Use, Rochester, MN, June 2012; The NLM/NIBIB Natural Language Processing: State of the Art, Future Directions and Applications for Enhancing Clinical Decision-Making Workshop, Bethesda, MD, April 2012; The ACRT/AFMR/SCTS Translational Science Meeting, Washington, DC, April 2012; The 2012 AMIA Clinical Research Informatics Summit, San Francisco, CA, March 2012; and The Workshop for Women in Machine Learning, Granada, Spain, December 2011.
Research Methods & Statistics
Automated Outcome Classification of Emergency Department Computed Tomography Imaging Reports
Article first published online: 15 AUG 2013
© 2013 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 8, pages 848–854, August 2013
How to Cite
Academic Emergency Medicine 2013; 20:848–854 © 2013 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
This publication was supported through the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) program, grants UL1TR000075 and KL2TR000076. The CTSA program is led by the NIH's National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS). Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the NIH. Medical Language Extraction and Encoding (MedLEE) was developed with support from the National Library of Medicine (R01LM010016 and R01LM008635). The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
- Issue published online: 15 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 15 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 20 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 26 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 DEC 2012
- 6Clinical Decision Support. 1st ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier, 2007.
- 7Extracting information from textual documents in the electronic health record: a review of recent research. IMIA Yearb Med Inform. 2008;47(Suppl 1):138–54., , ,
- 13A broad-coverage natural language processing system. Proc AMIA Symp. 2000, pp 270–4.
- 14Federal Coordinating Council for Comparative Effectiveness Research. Report to the President and the Congress. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services. Available at: http://www.hhs.gov/recovery/programs/cer/cerannualrpt.pdf. Accessed May 29, 2013.
- 16The WEKA data mining software: an update. SIGKDD Explorations. 2009;11:10–18., , , .
- 17Automatic Text Processing. Boston, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1989..
- 21Automated classification of radiology reports for acute lung injury: comparison of keyword and machine learning based natural language processing approaches. Proc IEEE Int Conf Bioinformat Biomed. 2009:314–9., , ,
- 23A comparison of two approaches to text processing: facilitating chart reviews of radiology reports in electronic medical records. Perspect Health Inform Manag. 2010;7:1a., , , et al.
- 25Generating typed dependency parses from phrase structure parses. Proc LREC. 2006;6:449–54., , .
- 26Text categorization with support vector machines: learning with many relevant features. Mach Learn: ECML-98. 1998;137–42.
- 27Efficient classification of clinical reports utilizing natural language processing. 2012 AAAI Fall Symp Series. 2012;(FS-12-05):88–9., ,
- 29Content Analysis: An Introduction to Its Methodology. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications Inc., 2003.