Presented at the American College of Emergency Physicians Research Forum, Denver, CO, October 2012.
Original Research Contribution
Validation of the Confusion Assessment Method for the Intensive Care Unit in Older Emergency Department Patients
Article first published online: 10 FEB 2014
© 2014 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 21, Issue 2, pages 180–187, February 2014
How to Cite
Academic Emergency Medicine 2014;21:180–187 © 2014 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Research reported in this publication was supported by the National Institute on Aging of the National Institutes of Health under award number K23AG032355, the National Center for Research Resources of the National Institutes of Health under award number UL1 RR024975-01 (now at the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, Grant 2 UL1 TR000445-06), and the Emergency Medicine Foundation Career Development Award. Dr. Ely was supported in part by the National Institutes of Health R01AG027472 and R01AG035117 and a Veteran Affairs MERIT award. Drs. Schnelle, Dittus, Powers, and Ely are also supported by the Veteran Affairs Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center (GRECC). The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health, Emergency Medicine Foundation, and Department of Veterans Affairs.
The authors have no potential conflicts of interest to disclose.
- Issue published online: 10 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 10 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 9 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAY 2013
- National Institute on Aging of the National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: K23AG032355
- National Center for Research Resources of the National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: UL1 RR024975-01
- National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences. Grant Number: UL1 TR000445-06
- Emergency Medicine Foundation Career Development Award
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: R01AG027472, R01AG035117
- Veteran Affairs Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center
- 4National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2007 emergency department summary. Natl Health Stat Rep 2010:1–31., ,
- 14Emergency department discharge instructions comprehension and compliance study. CJEM 2005;7:5–11., , , , .
- 25Four sensitive screening tools to detect cognitive dysfunction in geriatric emergency department patients: brief Alzheimer's Screen, Short Blessed Test, Ottawa 3DY, and the caregiver-completed AD8. Acad Emerg Med 2011;18:374–84., , , et al.
- 29The Confusion Assessment Method for the ICU Training Manual. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University, 2010., .
- 31Reliability and Validity Assessment. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications, 1979., .
- 33The Mental Status Examination in Neurology. Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis, 1993., .
- 35American Psychiatric Association. Task Force on DSM-IV. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV-TR. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2000.
- 37Emergency Severity Index (ESI): A Triage Tool for Emergency Department Care, Version 4. Implementation Handbook 2012 Edition. AHRQ Publication No. 12-0014. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2011., , ,
- 43Evaluation of two intensive care delirium screening tools for non-critically ill hospitalized patients. Psychosomatics 2011;52:133–40., , , et al.
- 44Regression Modeling Strategies: With Applications to Linear Models, Logistic Regression, and Survival Analysis. New York, NY: Springer, 2001..