Presented at the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, May 2013.
Rising Opioid Prescribing in Adult U.S. Emergency Department Visits: 2001–2010
Version of Record online: 13 MAR 2014
© 2014 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 236–243, March 2014
How to Cite
Academic Emergency Medicine 2014;21:236–243 © 2014 by the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
The authors have no financial relationships relevant to this article or conflicts of interest to disclose. Dr. Pines, an associate editor for this journal, had no role in the peer review or publication decision for this paper.
- Issue online: 13 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 13 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 25 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 20 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUN 2013
- 1Opioid epidemic in the United States. Pain Physician 2012;15(3 Suppl):ES9–38., , , et al.
- 3Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Results from the 2011 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Summary of National Findings. Available at: http://www.samhsa.gov/data/nsduh/2k11results/nsduhresults2011.htm. Accessed Dec 1, 2013.
- 4Drug poisoning deaths in the United States, 1980-2008. NCHS Data Brief 2011;81:1–8., , , , .
- 8Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ambulatory Health Care Data. About the Ambulatory Health Care Surveys. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/ahcd/about_ahcd.htm. Accessed Dec 1, 2013.
- 10Meperidine (Demerol) safety issues. Dynamics 2005;16:8–12., , , .
- 11Institute of Medicine. Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research. Washington DC: National Academies Press, 2011.
- 22Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. The NSDUH Report: Nonmedical Use of Prescription Pain Relievers, 2004. Available at: http://www.samhsa.gov/data/2k4/pain/pain.htm. Accessed Dec 1, 2013.
- 24Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. Draft blueprint for prescriber education for long-acting/extended-release opioid class-wide risk evaluation and mitigation strategy (76 FR 68766). 2011; Federal Register Volume 76, Issue 215.
- 25New York State Department of Health. New York's Medical Conduct Program. Pain Management: A Guide for Physicians. Available at: http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/4179.pdf. Accessed Dec 1, 2013.
- 26The development of the Washington State emergency department opioid prescribing guidelines. J Med Toxicol 2012;8:353–9., , , et al.
- 27Prescription opioid abuse in chronic pain: a review of opioid abuse predictors and strategies to curb opioid abuse. Pain Physician 2012;15:ES67–92., , .