Increased Cigarette Tax is Associated with Reductions in Alcohol Consumption in a Longitudinal U.S. Sample
Article first published online: 9 AUG 2013
Copyright © 2013 by the Research Society on Alcoholism
Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research
Volume 38, Issue 1, pages 241–248, January 2014
How to Cite
Young-Wolff, K. C., Kasza, K. A., Hyland, A. J. and McKee, S. A. (2014), Increased Cigarette Tax is Associated with Reductions in Alcohol Consumption in a Longitudinal U.S. Sample. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 38: 241–248. doi: 10.1111/acer.12226
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 9 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 DEC 2012
- NIH. Grant Numbers: R21 AA018273, P50DA033945, T32 HL007034
- American Chamber of Commerce Researchers Association (1990–2007) ACCRA Cost of Living Index, Quarterly Reports. American Chamber of Commerce Researchers Association, Louisville, KY.
- 2010) Habits, complementarities and heterogeneity in alcohol and tobacco demand: a multivariate dynamic model. Oxf Bull Econ Stat 4:428–457. , (
- 2006) Nicotine increases alcohol self-administration in non-dependent male smokers. Drug Alcohol Depend 81:197–204. , , , (
- 2004) Rationally addicted to drinking and smoking. Appl Econ 36:373–381. , (
- 2001) Cannabis, alcohol, and cigarettes: substitutes or complements? Econ Rec 77:19–34. , (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (1998) Response to increases in cigarette prices by race/ethnicity, income, and age groups—United States, 1976–1993. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 47:605–609.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2004) Alcohol-attributable deaths and years of potential life lost—United States, 2001. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 53:866–870.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2008) Smoking-attributable mortality, years of potential life lost, and productivity losses—United States, 2000–2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 57:1226–1228.
- 1999) Sex and race differences in young people's responsiveness to price and tobacco control policies. Tob Control 8:373–377. , (
- 2000) The economics of smoking, in Handbook of Health Economics, Vol. 1 (Culyer AJ, Newhouse JP eds), pp 1539–1627. Elsevier Science B.V., Amsterdam, The Netherlands. , (
- 2012) Tobacco taxes as a tobacco control strategy. Tob Control 21:172–180. , , (
- 2007) Rates and correlates of relapse among individuals in remission from DSM-IV alcohol dependence: a 3-year follow-up. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:2036–2045. , , (
- 2000) Cigarettes and alcohol: substitutes or complements? NBER Working Paper, 7535. , (
- 1999) The complementarity of teen smoking and drinking. J Health Econ 18:769–793. (
- 2005) Curbing adolescent smoking: a review of the effectiveness of various policies. Yale J Biol Med 78:37–44. (
- 1998) The compensating behavior of smokers: taxes, tar, and nicotine. Rand J Econ 29:578–595. , (
- 2006) An epidemiologic analysis of co-occurring alcohol and tobacco use and disorders: findings from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. Alcohol Res Health 29:162–171. , , (
- 2008) Rational addiction, cointegration and tobacco and alcohol demand. Working Paper, Università degli Studi di Bologna. , (
- 2012) Effective tobacco control is key to rapid progress in reduction of non-communicable diseases. Lancet 379:1269–1271. , (
- 1995) The interdependence of cigarette and liquor demand. South Econ J 62:451–459. , (
- 1997) Prevalence and correlates of alcohol use and DSM-IV alcohol dependence in the United States: results of the National Longitudinal Alcohol Epidemiologic Survey. J Stud Alcohol 58:464–473. (
- 2001) The Alcohol Use Disorder and Associated Disabilities Schedule-Version for DSM-IV (AUDADIS). National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda, MD. , , (
- 2003a) The Alcohol Use Disorder and Associated Disabilities Interview Schedule-IV (AUDADIS-IV): reliability of alcohol consumption, tobacco use, family history of depression and psychiatric diagnostic modules in a general population sample. Drug Alcohol Depend 71:7–16. , , , , , (
- 1995) The Alcohol Use Disorder and Associated Disabilities Interview schedule (AUDADIS): reliability of alcohol and drug modules in a general population sample. Drug Alcohol Depend 39:37–44. , , , , (
- 2003b) Source and Accuracy Statement for Wave I of the 2001–2002 National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda, MD. , , , (
- 2005) Source and Accuracy Statement for the Wave II National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions (NESARC). National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Rockville, MD. , (
- 2008) Young adult non-daily smokers: patterns of alcohol and cigarette use. Addict Behav 33:668–674. , (
- 1989) A system approach to the demand for alcohol and tobacco. Bull Econ Res 41:85–101. (
- 2012) Smoke-free bar policies and smokers’ alcohol consumption: findings from the International Tobacco Control 4 Country Survey. Drug Alcohol Depend 126:240–245. , , , (
- 1991) Epidemiologic studies utilizing surveys: accounting for sampling design. Am J Public Health 81:1166–1173. , (
- 1989) Comparing tobacco cigarette dependence with other drug dependence. Greater or equal ‘difficulty quitting’ and ‘urges to use’ but less ‘pleasure’ from cigarettes. JAMA 261:898–901. , , , , , (
- 2000) Smoking and mental illness: a population-based prevalence study. JAMA 284:2606–2610. , , , , , (
- 2007) The synergistic effect of cigarette taxes on the consumption of cigarettes, alcohol and betel nuts. BMC Public Health 7:121. (
- 2010) Effect of cigarette taxes on the consumption of cigarettes, alcohol, tea and coffee in Taiwan. Public Health 124:429–436. , , , (
- 2000) Increasing taxes as a strategy to reduce cigarette use and deaths: results of a simulation model. Prev Med 31:279–286. , , (
- 2007) Smoking status is a clinical indicator for alcohol misuse in US adults. Arch Intern Med 167:716–721. , , , , (
- 2009) Longitudinal evaluation of smoke-free Scotland on pub and home drinking behavior: findings from the International Tobacco Control Policy Evaluation Project. Nicotine Tob Res 11:619–626. , , , , , , , , (
- 2006) Modeling the effect of alcohol on smoking lapse behavior. Psychopharmacology 189:201–210. , , , , (
- 2013) How can we use our knowledge of alcohol-tobacco interactions to reduce alcohol use? Annu Rev Clin Psychol 9:649–674. , (
- 2012) Unintended consequences of cigarette price changes for alcohol drinking behaviors across age groups: evidence from pooled cross sections. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 7:28. , , , , (
- 2004) Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000. JAMA 291:1238–1245. , , , (
- 2009) The Tax Burden on Tobacco, Historical Compilation, Vol. 44. Orzechowski and Walker, Arlington, VA. , (
- 2009) Addiction and interaction between alcohol and tobacco consumption. Empir Econ 37:1–23. , (
- 2009) Global burden of disease and injury and economic cost attributable to alcohol use and alcohol-use disorders. Lancet 373:2223–2233. , , , , , (
- StataCorp LP (2009) Stata Statistical Software, Version 11. StataCorp LP, College Station, TX.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (2011) Results from the 2010 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: National Findings. Office of Applied Studies, NSDUH Series H-41, Rockville, MD. HSS Publication No. SMA 11-4658.
- 2005) A major state tobacco increase, the master settlement agreement, and cigarette consumption: the California experience. Am J Public Health 95:1030–1035. , , , , (
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (2005) Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician's Guide. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. NIH publication no. 07–3769, Bethesda, MD. Available at: http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Practitioner/CliniciansGuide2005/guide.pdf. Accessed September 10, 2012.
- 2005) Tobacco tax as a health protecting policy: a brief review of the New Zealand evidence. N Z Med J 118:U1403. , (
- World Health Organization (2008) WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic 2008. The MPOWER Package, Geneva.
- 2013) Smoke-free policies in drinking venues predict transitions in alcohol use disorders in a longitudinal U.S. sample. Drug Alcohol Depend 128:214–221. , , , , , (
- 2010) Interactions between cigarette and alcohol consumption in rural China. Eur J Health Econ 11:151–160. , (