Impact of Interventions Targeting Unhealthy Alcohol Use in Kenya on HIV Transmission and AIDS-Related Deaths
Article first published online: 15 JAN 2014
Copyright © 2014 by the Research Society on Alcoholism
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research
Volume 38, Issue 4, pages 1059–1067, April 2014
How to Cite
Braithwaite, R. S., Nucifora, K. A., Kessler, J., Toohey, C., Mentor, S. M., Uhler, L. M., Roberts, M. S. and Bryant, K. (2014), Impact of Interventions Targeting Unhealthy Alcohol Use in Kenya on HIV Transmission and AIDS-Related Deaths. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 38: 1059–1067. doi: 10.1111/acer.12332
- Issue published online: 9 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 15 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAR 2013
- National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Grant Number: R01 AA017385
- Anonymous (2000) Efficacy of voluntary HIV-1 counselling and testing in individuals and couples in Kenya, Tanzania, and Trinidad: a randomised trial. The Voluntary HIV-1 Counseling and Testing Efficacy Study Group. Lancet 356:103–112.
- 2006) Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 among bar and hotel workers in northern Tanzania: the role of alcohol, sexual behavior, and herpes simplex virus type 2. Sex Transm Dis 33:163–169. , , , , (
- 2009) Sexual transmission of HIV according to viral load and antiretroviral therapy: systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS 23:1397–1404. , , , , (
- 2009) Adherence and treatment response among HIV-1-infected adults receiving antiretroviral therapy in a rural government hospital in Southwestern Uganda. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic) 8:139–147. , , , , , (
- 2009) Heterosexual risk of HIV-1 infection per sexual act: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Lancet Infect Dis 9:118–129. , , , , , , (
- 2011) Alternative antiretroviral monitoring strategies for HIV-infected patients in east Africa: opportunities to save more lives? J Int AIDS Soc 14:38. , , , , , , , (
- 2010) Causal links between binge drinking patterns, unsafe sex and HIV in South Africa: its time to intervene. Int J STD AIDS 21:2–7. , (
- 2010) Alcohol: the forgotten drug in HIV/AIDS. Lancet 376:398–400. , , (
- 1993) Factors controlling the spread of HIV in heterosexual communities in developing countries: patterns of mixing between different age and sexual activity classes. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 342:137–159. , (
- 2011) Adding fuel to the fire: alcohol's effect on the HIV epidemic in sub-Saharan Africa. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 8:172–180. , , (
- 2008) HIV voluntary counselling and testing in Nakuru, Kenya: findings from a community survey. HIV Med 9:111–117. , , , (
- 2010) Alcohol use and non-adherence to antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected patients in West Africa. Addiction 105:1416–1421. , , , , , , , , , , (
- 2008) Randomized trial of a community-based alcohol-related HIV risk-reduction intervention for men and women in Cape Town South Africa. Ann Behav Med 36:270–279. , , , , , , (
- 2006) The epidemiology of HIV-1 infection in northern Tanzania: results from a community-based study. AIDS Care 18:379–387. , , , , , , (
- 2002) HIV-1 epidemic among female bar and hotel workers in northern Tanzania: risk factors and opportunities for prevention. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 29:409–417. , , , , , , , , (
- 2012) Improving adherence to antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan African HIV-positive populations: an enhanced adherence package. AIDS Care 24:1308–1315. , , , , , , (
- ART-LINC Collaboration of International Epidemiological Databases to Evaluate AIDS (IeDEA) & CEPAC International investigators (2009) Cost-effectiveness of preventing loss to follow-up in HIV treatment programs: a Cote d'Ivoire appraisal. PLoS Med 6:e1000173. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2005) Meta-analysis of high-risk sexual behavior in persons aware and unaware they are infected with HIV in the United States: implications for HIV prevention programs. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:446–453. , , , (
- 1996) HIV seroincidence and correlates of seroconversion in a cohort of male factory workers in Harare, Zimbabwe. AIDS 10:895–901. , , , , , , (
- 2008) Male circumcision for the prevention of heterosexually acquired HIV infection: a meta-analysis of randomized trials involving 11,050 men. HIV Med 9:332–335. , , , (
- 2009) Concurrent sexual partnerships and HIV infection: evidence from national population-based surveys. DHS Working Papers, vol. Calverton, MD. (
- 2008) Sexually transmitted infections knowledge and its impact in the practice of risky sexual behaviours and HIV serostatus: results from rural Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. Sex Transm Infect 84:224–226. , , , (
- 2010) Impact of a national HIV voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) campaign on VCT in a rural hospital in Tanzania. Trop Med Int Health 15:567–573. , , , , , , , , , , , , (
- NACADA (2010) Alcohol Use in Central Province of Kenya: A Baseline Survey on Magnitude, Causes and Effects from the Perspective of Community Members and Individual Users. NACADA.
- 2012) Antiretroviral pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for preventing HIV in high-risk individuals. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 7:CD007189. , , (
- 2011) Treatment outcomes of a stage 1 cognitive-behavioral trial to reduce alcohol use among human immunodeficiency virus-infected out-patients in western Kenya. Addiction 106:2156–2166. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , (
- 2010) Systematic cultural adaptation of cognitive-behavioral therapy to reduce alcohol use among HIV-infected outpatients in western Kenya. AIDS Behav 14:669–678. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , (
- 2009) Descriptive systematic review of sub-Saharan African studies on the association between alcohol use and HIV infection. SAHARA J 6:155–169. , (
- 1997) Sexual behaviour patterns and other risk factors for HIV infection in rural Tanzania: a case–control study. AIDS 11:237–248. , , , , , , , , , , , , (
- 2009) Global burden of disease and injury and economic cost attributable to alcohol use and alcohol-use disorders. Lancet 373:2223–2233. , , , , , (
- 2011) Retention in HIV care between testing and treatment in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. PLoS Med 8:e1001056. , (
- 2012) Targeting condom distribution at high risk places increases condom utilization-evidence from an intervention study in Livingstone, Zambia. BMC Public Health 12:10. , , , (
- 2011) HIV and concurrent sexual partnerships: modelling the role of coital dilution. J Int AIDS Soc 14:44. , , (
- UNAIDS (2010) Global Report: UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic 2010.UNAIDS, Geneva.
- 2006) Estimates of the number of female sex workers in different regions of the world. Sex Transm Infect 82(Suppl 3):iii18–iii25. , , , , , (
- 2002) Clients of female sex workers in Nyanza province, Kenya: a core group in STD/HIV transmission. Sex Transm Dis 29:444–452. , , , , (
- 2009) A Baseline Survey of Multiple and Concurrent Sexual Partnerships Among Basotho Men in Lesotho. C-Change/AED, Washington, DC. , , (
- 2010) Determinants of consistent condom use vary by partner type among young men in Kisumu, Kenya: a multi-level data analysis. AIDS Behav 14:949–959. , , , , , , , , (
- WHO (2001) Global Prevalence and Incidence of Selected Curable Sexually Transmitted Infections. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2008) Epidemiological Fact Sheet on HIV and AIDS, Uganda. The UNAIDS/WHO Working Group on Global HIV/AIDS and STI Surveillance.WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2011) Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health.WHO, Geneva.