Local government alcohol policy development: case studies in three New Zealand communities
Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors, Addiction © 2012 Society for the Study of Addiction
Volume 108, Issue 5, pages 885–895, May 2013
How to Cite
Maclennan, B., Kypri, K., Room, R. and Langley, J. (2013), Local government alcohol policy development: case studies in three New Zealand communities. Addiction, 108: 885–895. doi: 10.1111/add.12017
- Issue online: 15 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 7 NOV 2012 05:14AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 8 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 FEB 2012
- Health Research Council
- Alcohol Advisory Council of New Zealand
- 1World Health Organization. Global Status Report: Alcohol Policy. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2004.
- 2The Sale of Liquor Act, 1989: reviewing regulatory practices. Soc Policy J NZ 1996; 7: 174–190.,
- 3Alcohol: No Ordinary Commodity—Research and Public Policy, 2nd edn. Oxford: Oxford University Press Inc.; 2010., , , , , et al.
- 8Public opinion and local government alcohol policy: a study of seven New Zealand communities. Contemp Drug Probl 2011; 38: 367–385., , ,
- 9What works to reduce alcohol-related harm and why aren't the policies more popular? Soc Policy J NZ 2005; 25: 118–141.,
- 10Community control and liquor licensing: a public health issue in New Zealand. J Drug Issues 1992; 22: 743–755.,
- 11Adopting local alcohol policies: a case study of community efforts to regulate malt liquor sales. Am J Health Promot 2012; 26: e86–e94., , , , ,
- 12Creating Local Alcohol Policy: How to Develop an Integrated Local Alcohol Policy in Europe? Utrecht: STAP, Dutch Institute for Alcohol Policy; 2012., ,
- 13Agendas, Alternatives, and Public Policies, 2nd edn. Boston, USA: Addison-Wesley Educational Publishers, Inc.; 1995.
- 14Models and theories. In: Davis P. , Ashton T. , editors. Health and Public Policy in New Zealand. Auckland, New Zealand: Oxford University Press; 2002, p. 24–43.,
- 15Analysing Public Policy. London: Pinter; 1998.
- 18Ambiguity, time, and multiple streams. In: Sabatier P. A. , editor. Theoretical Lenses on Public Policy. Boulder, CO: Westview Press; 1999, p. 73–93.
- 19Local Government Act. 2002. Available at: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2002/0084/latest/DLM170873.html?search=ts_act_Local+Government+Act_noresel&sr=1 (accessed 7 May 2009; archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/6C84TzR0q).
- 20Case Study Research: Design and Methods, 3rd edn. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications Inc.; 2003.
- 21Transforming Qualitative Information: Thematic Analysis and Code Development. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.; 1998.
- 22Politics in New Zealand, 2nd edn. Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland University Press; 1997.
- 23Planning for the Sale of Alcohol: A Review of Research and Policy. Wellington, New Zealand: Ministry of Health; 2004.
- 24Local Government and Politics in New Zealand, 2nd edn. Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland University Press; 1995.
- 25Ministry of Social Development. Social Report 2010. Wellington, New Zealand, 2010.