Seasonal flight activity, phenology and physiological status of the major establishment pests of Eucalyptus nitens plantations, Heteronyx dimidiata and H. crinitus (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Melolonthinae)
Article first published online: 14 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Australian Journal of Entomology © 2012 Australian Entomological Society
Australian Journal of Entomology
Volume 52, Issue 1, pages 31–41, February 2013
How to Cite
Walker, P. W. and Allen, G. R. (2013), Seasonal flight activity, phenology and physiological status of the major establishment pests of Eucalyptus nitens plantations, Heteronyx dimidiata and H. crinitus (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Melolonthinae). Australian Journal of Entomology, 52: 31–41. doi: 10.1111/aen.12000
- Issue published online: 3 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 14 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 OCT 2012
- Australian Research Council Linkage Projects. Grant Number: LP0455303
- 1999. Seasonal flight activity of scarab beetles (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) associated with sugarcane in southern Queensland. Australian Journal of Entomology 38, 219–226. & .
- 1993. Insect pest problems of eucalypt plantations in Australia. 4. Tasmania. Australian Forestry 56, 375–377. .
- 1980. A revision of the Australian chafers (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Melolonthinae) Vol. 3. Tribe Liparetrini: Genus Liparetrus. Australian Journal of Zoology Supplementary Series 76, 1–209. .
- 2000. A review of Heteronyx Guérin-Méneville (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Melolonthinae). Invertebrate Taxonomy 14, 465–589. .
- 1999. Preliminary investigations into biology, ecology and control of two species of Heteronyx (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae). Unpublished Honours thesis. School of Agricultural Science, University of Tasmania, Hobart, 83 pp. .
- 2008. Healthy hardwoods: a field guide to pests, diseases and nutritional disorders in subtropical hardwoods. Forest & Wood Products Australia, Victoria. 140 pp. , , , , & .
- 1972. Environmental stress in the pasture scarab Sericesthis nigrolineata Boisd. I. Mortality in larvae caused by high temperature. The Journal of Applied Ecology 9, 783–797. , & .
- 2000. What's eating my eucalypt seedlings? Forestry Tasmania Forest Health Bulletin No. 5, spring 2000. [Accessed May 2012.] Available from URL: http://www.forestrytas.com.au/publications/forest-health-leaflets. .
- 1984. Insect Pests of Trees and Timber in Tasmania, Forestry Commission, Hobart, Australia. 90 pp. & .
- 2007. Scarab grubs in northern tableland pastures. NSW Department of Primary Industries Primefact 512. 8 pp. [Accessed May 2012.] Available from URL: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/pastures/pastures-and-rangelands/management/scarab-grubs-north-tableland-pastures. & .
- 2011. Are insect herbivores in Eucalyptus globulus/nitens plantations a worsening problem? A multi-region spatio-temporal review of southern Australia. Cooperative Research Centre for Forestry Technical Report 216: November 2011, Hobart, Tasmania. 69 pp. , , , & .
- 2010. Factors influencing adult emergence from soil and the vertical distribution of burrowing scarab beetles Dasylepida ishigakiensis. Physiological Entomology 35, 287–295. , , et al.
- 2003. Effect of imidacloprid on the growth of Eucalyptus nitens seedlings. Australian Forestry 66, 100–101. & .
- 2008. Temporal occurrence pattern of insect pests and fungal pathogens in young Tasmanian plantations of Eucalyptus globulus Labill. and E. nitens Maiden. Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania 142, 61–69. , & .
- 2006. Phenology of Eucalyptus weevil, Gonipterus scutellatus Gyllenhal (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), and chrysomelid beetles in Eucalyptus globulus plantations in south-western Australia. Agricultural and Forest Entomology 8, 155–165. .
- 2001. Insect pests of Tasmanian blue gum, Eucalyptus globulus globulus, in south-western Australia: history, current perspectives and future prospects. Austral Ecology 26, 458–466. & .
- 2005. Interactions between herbivores, vegetation and eucalypt tree seedlings in a plantation forestry environment. Australian Forestry 68, 281–290. & .
- 2007. Tasmanian Pasture and Forage Pests: Identification, biology and control, 2nd edn. Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries and Water, Prospect. 89 pp. , , & .
- 1977. Swarming behaviour in the Australian beetle, Heteronyx obesus, with notes on related species. Ecological Entomology 2, 91–96. .
- 2004. Sexual selection under scramble competition: mate location and mate choice in the Eucalypt leaf beetle Chrysophtharta agricola (Chapuis) in the field. Journal of Insect Behaviour 17, 353–366. & .
- 1993. Insect pest problems of eucalypt plantations in Australia. 5. South Australia. Australian Forestry 56, 378–380. .
- 1994. Biology of Pseudoheteronyx sp. (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) on the Central Highlands of Queensland. Journal of the Australian Entomological Society 33, 181–184. & .
- 2000. Initiating systematic investigation of the biology and management of establishment insect pests in Eucalyptus plantations – linking Western Australia and Tasmania. CRC for Sustainable Production Forestry Technical Report No. 35. , & .
- 1981. Biometry, 2nd edn., WH Freeman and Company, San Francisco, California, USA. & .
- 2007. Summer activity patterns of nocturnal Scarabaeoidea (Coleoptera) of the southern tablelands of New South Wales. Australian Journal of Entomology 46, 7–16. & .
- 1987. Preliminary observations on the biology of a manuka chafer, Pyronota sp. (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) in Otago. New Zealand Entomologist 9, 60–63. .
- 1970. Observations on the crepuscular flight of Pseudischizognathus schoenfeldti Ohaus (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Rutelinae). Journal of the Australian Entomological Society 9, 235–236. .
- 2006. Population ecology of Heteronyx piceus (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) in a peanut/maize cropping system. Bulletin of Entomological Research 96, 129–136. & .
- 1993. Insect pest problems of eucalypt plantations in Australia. 1. Queensland. Australian Forestry 56, 358–362. & .