The Physiology of Sexual Violence, Genito-anal Injury and HIV: Opportunities for Improving Risk Estimation
Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons A/S
American Journal of Reproductive Immunology
Special Issue: Sexual Violence and HIV Transmission
Volume 69, Issue Supplement s1, pages 80–87, February 2013
How to Cite
The physiology of sexual violence, genito-anal injury and HIV: opportunities for improving risk estimation. Am J Reprod Immunol 2012.
- Issue published online: 6 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 4 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 OCT 2012
- 1on behalf of the participants in the Greentree Meeting on Sexual Violence and HIV: AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. 2012; 28:1379–1388. 2012 Sep 6 [cited 2012 Sep 12]; Available from: http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/aid.2012.0273., , , , , , and ,
- 2United Nations General Assembly: Implementation of the Declaration of Commitment on HIV/AIDS and the Political Declaration on HIV/AIDS: uniting for universal access: towards zero new HIV infections, zero discrimination and zero AIDS-related deaths: Report of the Secretary-General. Mar 28, 2011.
- 3United Nations General Assembly: Resolution adopted by the General Assembly: 60/262. Political Declaration on HIV/AIDS. A/RES/60/262 Jun 15, 2006, pp. 1–8.
- 4Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS): Global Report: UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic 2010. Geneva, Switzerland, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), 2010. Available from: http://www.unaids.org/documents/20101123_globalreport_em.pdf
- 5Sexual violence and conflict in Africa: prevalence and potential impact on HIV incidence. Sex Transm Infect 2010;86(Suppl 3):iii93–i99. BMJ Publishing Group, London, ROYAUME-UNI (1998), Available from: http://sti.bmj.com.ezproxy.uct.ac.za/content/86/Suppl_3/iii93.full.pdf+html?sid=9503f514-cdde-41fb-9e32-3aa4f953f09f [cited 2011 Sep 7]., , , , , , et al.:
- 6Assessing the impact of mass rape on the incidence of HIV in conflict-affected countries. AIDS (London, England) 2010; 24:2841–7. Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2978669&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract Nov 27 [cited 2011 Sep 19]., , :
- 7HIV/AIDS, Security and Conflict: New Realities, New Responses. New York/The Hague, SSRC/Clingendael Institute for ASCI, 2010., , , , , :
- 8Estimating the Distribution of New HIV Infections by Mode of Transmission. SACEMA Quarterly. Stellenbosch, South Africa, South African Centre for Epidemiological Modelling and Analysis (SACEMA); 2010, pp. 1–3.:
- 10Interaction of mathematical modeling and social and behavioral HIV/AIDS research. Curr Opin HIV AIDS 2011; 6: 119–23. Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=3091501&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract [cited 2012 Jul 18], :
- 13HIV epidemic appraisals for assisting in the design of effective prevention programmes: shifting the paradigm back to basics. PLoS ONE 2012;7:e32324. Public Library of Science; Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=3291609&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract [cited 2012 Jul 18]., , , , , , et al.:
- 15Analysis of HIV Prevention Response and Modes of HIV Transmission: The UNAIDS-GAMET Supported Synthesis Process. Geneva, Switzerland, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), 2008., , :
- 18Heterosexual risk of HIV-1 infection per sexual act: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Lancet Infect Dis 2009;9:118–29. Elsevier, Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/s1473-3099(09)70021-0 [cited 2012 Feb 23]., , , , , , et al.:
- 20Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS): Technical Meeting to Review Spectrum 2011 and Considering potential bias in DHS and ANC data: Report of a meeting of the UNAIDS Reference Group on Estimates, Modelling and Projections held in Seattle, WA, USA, 20-21 October 2011. 2011.
- 21Using Quantitative Data to Assess Conflict-Related Sexual Violence in Colombia: Challenges and Opportunities. Report of the Benetech Human Rights Program (Palo Alto, CA) and Corporacion Punto de Vista (Bogota, Colombia). 2011. http://www.hrdag.org/resources/publications/., , :
- 22Neglected issues and hypotheses regarding the impact of sexual Concurrency on HIV and sexually transmitted infections. AIDS Behav 2011;1–8. Springer Netherlands, Available from: http://www.springerlink.com/content/61k57028l60u1121/ [cited 2012 Feb 3]., , .
- 27Sexual violence against women: the scope of the problem. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2012; 1–11. Elsevier Ltd., :
- 30The intersections of HIV and violence: directions for future research and interventions. Soc Sci Med 2000;50:459–78. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com.proxy3.library.jhu.edu/science/article/pii/S0277953699002701 [cited 2011 Jun 15]., , , , :
- 31Sexual violence and HIV risk behaviors among a nationally representative sample of heterosexual American women: the importance of sexual coercion. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2010;53:136–43. Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2799543&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract [cited 2011 Jun 14]., , :
- 33Understanding men's health and use of violence: interface of rape and HIV in South Africa. Pretoria 2009. Available from: http://www.mrc.ac.za/gender/interfaceofrape&hivsarpt.pdf, , , :
- 36Rape Perpetration: A Review. Pretoria, Sexual Violence Research Initiative, 2012.:
- 38Alcohol use as a marker for risky sexual behaviors and biologically confirmed sexually transmitted infections among young adult African-American women. Womens Health Issues 2011;21:130–5. Available from: http://www.whijournal.com/article/S1049-3867(10)00147-7/abstract [cited 2012 Oct 28]., , , :
- 40Gender inequity norms are associated with increased male-perpetrated rape and sexual risks for HIV infection in Botswana and Swaziland. PLoS ONE 2012;7:e28739. Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=3256140&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract [cited 2012 Feb 10]., , , , , , et al.:
- 42Gender and sexuality: emerging perspectives from the heterosexual epidemic in South Africa and implications for HIV risk and prevention. J Int AIDS Soc 2010;13:6. BioMed Central., :